• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

40 Reasons guns should be banned

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
What about artillery? Anti-tank missiles? Are they included?

I would have to do some reading to look at any 18th century source material we have regarding the possession of cannon by individuals, by my inclination is to say that the ORIGINAL INTENT of the 2nd Amendment is to allow the people to posses small arms. I think small arms is what they mean by 'Arms', that seems to be what it has meant when reading Washington or Jefferson.

Does that mean the people should be permitted to own RPGs? Maybe it does. It would be interesting to see what Madison would have said.

It certianly means we can have bayonets, pistols, and Flash suppressors :D.

m26

Contributor
Is this not reason enough to own a gun? If someone breaks into my house I have a German Shepherd, but he isnt bullet proof. I can call the police but they don't teleport, yet. The only way to ensure that I am on a level playing field is a gun.

Yes, but its not a good argument against the liberal fantasy of total gun control. You can't say you need a gun because they other guy has one. Once they take away all the guns, you shouldn't need one FOR THE PURPOSE OF DEFENDING YOURSELF AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE WITH GUNS.

In the 18th Century this means to personally own, and carry.

Still does now, I hope.

No specification here. No exceptions made for pistols (which did exist), long guns, etc. Arms is arms. And ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about deer/duck hunting. Hunting is not a human right, protection of ones person and property are.

I would argue that if you have a knife you are armed. So if you're allowed to have a knife, your constitutional rights are not being infringed. Well, I wouldn't argue that, but someone would, and it wouldn't be a bad point.

Who cares if I need it. I dont need to speak my mind, or blog about zombies, but it would be a violation of the 1st Amendment for the GOVERNMENT to take it away from me.

The government can take away lots of things ("legitimate government interest"), sometimes even constitutionally protected "needs."

I would have to do some reading to look at any 18th century source material we have regarding the possession of cannon by individuals, by my inclination is to say that the ORIGINAL INTENT of the 2nd Amendment is to allow the people to posses small arms. I think small arms is what they mean by 'Arms', that seems to be what it has meant when reading Washington or Jefferson.

The intent was, "we just won our independence with a minuteman militia." At the time, defending the country against foreign invaders meant having locals ready to grab their musket and muster. Nowadays, if the Chinese come at us, 40% of the population having a Glock in their sock drawer isn't going to do us a ton of good (IMHO).

torpedo0126

First of all, why do so many people FREAK out if some asks something other than a friendly question. Also, I didn't say I supported that, I asked where do those people fall in the argument.

If you want "mandatory safety mechanisms" then you are an idiot. It's not the job of the government to decide how to make a gun safe. It is the job of gun owners to be responsible and operate their guns in responsible manner. How would you feel about a government regulation that prevented cars from going more than 70 miles per hour? How about mandatory breath tests every time you start your car? How about helmets for all passengers in cars? That will save lives, right?

I believe there is a difference between making an analogy and making extreme comparisons. I think a good comparison between requiring all guns to have safeties and the like would be safety belts in cars...yes they do save lives. I would much rather have a cheap solution in preventing an accidental discharge than risk an unintentional injury. There are already enough people at recruit training who shoot their toes off even with safeties.

Gun ownership by felons is already illegal. Are you advocating home and vehicle inspections for all ex-cons to ensure that they are not in possession of firearms? The 4th Amendment would like to have a word with you.

Again, I was just asking where the above argument falls in the 2nd amendment debate. I really don't know how you got this statement out of what I asked.

Strict background checks? What else do you want in a background check that is not already done? I live in Tennessee (a gun friendly state) and have to produce a photo ID, give my residence, phone number, social security number, and be fingerprinted just to buy a gun. Do you want a blood and stool sample as well?

Relax man. I am a gun owner myself. I didn't feel threatened by the government taking my fingerprints. And I also feel comfortable with the government checking on addresses and SS## to make sure they are legal citizens and so that law enforcement can possibly trace a firearm back to its owner in case of theft/crime.

Regulation on sales at gun shows? Do you know what you are talking about here? Guess what, sales at gun shows are already regulated. If I buy at a gun show, I have to fill out the same paperwork that I would in a gun store. What the liberals call the "Gun Show Loophole" does not have jack shit to do with gun shows. They are talking about making sales of firearms between private citizens illegal. Can anyone think of a good reason that if I wanted to buy a gun from RocketMan, he could not sell it to me? It's about taxation and government control. We have enough of that already thank-you-very-much. If you think that the "gun show loophole" allows firearms to get into the hands of felons, well, that's bullshit too. If you really want to cling to that argument than we can arrange someone to show up and slap a governor on your car that will prevent going more than the speed limit.

I'm beginning to think you might be part of some sort of paramilitary reactionary group :D. I wasn't aware of this. I went to wikipedia and did a little research. It seems the complaint is that unlicensed sellers and private buyers can make transactions at gun shows without checks or paperwork. However, a poll of prison inmates said that something like 2% of them obtained a gun at a gun show. I guess my problem with that it only takes a few people to pull off something like 9/11. I also think there is a big difference between buying a gun privately from a family member and being able to go to a gun show and just buy a gun from an unlicensed seller.

Okay thats it for me on this thread. I promise I'm not a pinko-commey.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
What about artillery? Anti-tank missiles? Are they included?

You can actually have all that stuff... theres just a shit ton of hoops to jump through... I knew a guy that had a 203 with HE rounds. He paid a $200 tax for each one of them and a $200 tax to buy the 203. And there's plenty of guys out there with live artillery.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Yes, but its not a good argument against the liberal fantasy of total gun control. You can't say you need a gun because they other guy has one. Once they take away all the guns, you shouldn't need one FOR THE PURPOSE OF DEFENDING YOURSELF AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE WITH GUNS.

Right, because England doesn't have gun crime.

Still does now, I hope.

According to the SCOTUS, yes it does.

I would argue that if you have a knife you are armed. So if you're allowed to have a knife, your constitutional rights are not being infringed. Well, I wouldn't argue that, but someone would, and it wouldn't be a bad point.

Wrong. It would be a horrible point. What if the government told you that you could blog about zombies, but you couldn't make any blog entires about the President, or Congress. Well they wouldn't be infringing on rights regarding zombies, but they would in other ways.

The government can take away lots of things ("legitimate government interest"), sometimes even constitutionally protected "needs."

The person or the group with the most guns can ALWAYS take away things. Thats why it is said that the 2nd Amendment protects the other parts of the Constitution.

The intent was, "we just won our independence with a minuteman militia." At the time, defending the country against foreign invaders meant having locals ready to grab their musket and muster. Nowadays, if the Chinese come at us, 40% of the population having a Glock in their sock drawer isn't going to do us a ton of good (IMHO).

You sure about that? You really sure about that?

The authors of the Constitution KNEW that the militia didn't win the Revolution. Washington presided over the Convention and he disdained the Militia. Did a general distrust of standing armies exist? absolutely. Did the Framers feel the militia did more than it actually did during the Revolution? Most did. That being said the idea that the militia alone would save us from invasion is asinine, and most of the Framers knew that. This is the reason that the Army can exist, but has to be re approved every 2 years.

As to repelling an invasion, Admiral Yamamoto is often credited with saying: "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." He may or may not have actually said it, but the point is clear: in a nation of riflemen an occupation force wages a war of attrition.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you want "mandatory safety mechanisms" then you are an idiot. It's not the job of the government to decide how to make a gun safe. It is the job of gun owners to be responsible and operate their guns in responsible manner. How would you feel about a government regulation that prevented cars from going more than 70 miles per hour? How about mandatory breath tests every time you start your car? How about helmets for all passengers in cars? That will save lives, right?

Gun ownership by felons is already illegal. Are you advocating home and vehicle inspections for all ex-cons to ensure that they are not in possession of firearms? The 4th Amendment would like to have a word with you.

Strict background checks? What else do you want in a background check that is not already done? I live in Tennessee (a gun friendly state) and have to produce a photo ID, give my residence, phone number, social security number, and be fingerprinted just to buy a gun. Do you want a blood and stool sample as well?

Regulation on sales at gun shows? Do you know what you are talking about here? Guess what, sales at gun shows are already regulated. If I buy at a gun show, I have to fill out the same paperwork that I would in a gun store. What the liberals call the "Gun Show Loophole" does not have jack shit to do with gun shows. They are talking about making sales of firearms between private citizens illegal. Can anyone think of a good reason that if I wanted to buy a gun from RocketMan, he could not sell it to me? It's about taxation and government control. We have enough of that already thank-you-very-much. If you think that the "gun show loophole" allows firearms to get into the hands of felons, well, that's bullshit too. If you really want to cling to that argument than we can arrange someone to show up and slap a governor on your car that will prevent going more than the speed limit.

Does that answer your questions?

+1.

If you're too stupid to operate a firearm safely and end up shooting yourself to death, then the human genepool just got stronger.

I also think all safety belt/helmet/[insert personal safety device] laws should be repealed. If you don't care about your self-preservation, then I don't care about your self preservation, and I damn sure don't want my tax money going to instilling a sense of self-preservation in you.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The fatal flaw in the gun control mind set is that the criminals will follow the law. "If we take away guns then you won't need them to defend yourself"... The problem is that criminals don't follow the law, by their definition. As pointed out, look at some other countries with "no" private gun ownership.

And for the argument about "unlicensed sellers" at gun shows, where do you draw the line? I think you honestly have no clue what they are talking about in reference to gun shows. Its not as if one of the guys there selling guns is unlicensed. Its the normal everyday people that go to a gun show wanting to sell one of their guns that usually make the "private sales" and thus are "unlicensed", yet legal, sellers. The same as if you wanted to sell a gun to a close friend or a relative. You can't make laws banning joe schmo from selling his gun to another joe schmo without also banning what you consider an innocent sale between family members. Do you really want to make guns something that once bought, can never be sold? 99% of guns bought at a gun show are bought at a table and therefore are subject to the same laws and checks that buying a gun at Bass Pro Shops would have. The gun show argument is a matter of ignorance. The same as the ban was on bayonet lugs... How many people have been bayonetted?...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
And helmet laws, seatbelts, etc. are a product of insurance company lobbying... aka money...

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Nowadays, if the Chinese come at us, 40% of the population having a Glock in their sock drawer isn't going to do us a ton of good (IMHO).

Well since you brought it up I agree that you and the Glock you keep in your underware drawer would not make a difference. That said I can assure you that a couple hundred thousand people like me armed with an AR15 or M1A would kill plenty. It's called an insurgency. Look it up.

m26

Contributor
Well since you brought it up I agree that you and the Glock you keep in your underware drawer would not make a difference. That said I can assure you that a couple hundred thousand people like me armed with an AR15 or M1A would kill plenty. It's called an insurgency. Look it up.

I believe its on the news every night (or should be. I've sworn off network news).

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot

Precisely. Look at the Soviets and Afghanistan. They got their asses handed to them by a bunch of guys with AK's---half of them barely knew which end the bullets came out of. The United States civilian population would be one holy hell of a formidable opponent, especially when you consider how many are retired military or law enforcement.