• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3y option

neesh

i am currently going into college as a freshman and i want to transfer out and go to a another school with nrotc. can i apply for a 3 year scholarship at another school? when should i start applying?

sickboy

pilot
Your best bet it to transfer as a college program and compete for a scholarship that way. I don't know if you can go straight into a 3 year scholarship.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Most likely the school you transfer to will want to monitor you for a semester or two while you are in the unit as a midshipman with no scholarship. There are a couple of ways to pick up a scholarship, and one of the easiest is sometimes the CO has the authority to "grant" one or two a year. He/She will usually pick the midshipman with the best grades and most volunteer hours for the unit.

I showed up to Purdue without a scholarship, joined NROTC, and signed my 3 year papers after freshman year. But I was a fully integrated midshipman from day one on campus. I volunteered for all the extra duties we did to make money for the unit (Football security, ushering concerts on campus, etc) and participated in the Midshipman Big Brother program we had for some neighboring elementary schools.

As a bonus, if you need (or want) extra school time... it gives you a little leverage when you are asking for an extra semester or two on the back end of college. Although I only had a three year scholarship, I put in the paperwork and they paid for my 9th semester... the fact that they only had three years of tuition invested in me (I was told by my CO) was a large part of why my extra semester was so easily approved.

navy09

None
I don't know if you can go straight into a 3 year scholarship.

You can't.

The 3.5, 3, and 2.5 yr scholarships are only for college program Midshipmen. To come directly in on scholarship you need a 4 or 2 yr scholarship. Recommend you contact the recruiting officer at the unit you want to transfer to, they will likely tell you to transfer there as a college programmer and pay your own way. You would be eligible for a 2.5 yr scholarship if you did very well that first semester.

Python

pilot
Contributor
If you start off as a college program Midshipman and kick some ass academically, physically, and volunteer a lot, you will have good chances of picking up the scholarship.