• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

37 years old with 15 year TIS, What program will accept me?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
There were two IP guys in my ODS class. The guys with 15+ years of service were going INTEL, I believe.
Were they Reservists? The only time I have heard of Intel, IP, IW, and EDO officers going to ODS is if they are Direct-Commission Reservists.

number9

Contributor
Were they Reservists? The only time I have heard of Intel, IP, IW, and EDO officers going to ODS is if they are Direct-Commission Reservists.
I think it was mostly reservists with a couple going active. Again, I think the odds are long, but it's a possibility for OP to at least explore.

Short

None
If the only obstacle to LDO is TIS then I would recommend you apply if otherwise eligible and route a request for an exception to policy with your application. Bottom line is that while you have low percent odds you should never say no on behalf of the Navy. Low odds beat zero odds.

machinistmate04

If the only obstacle to LDO is TIS then I would recommend you apply if otherwise eligible and route a request for an exception to policy with your application. Bottom line is that while you have low percent odds you should never say no on behalf of the Navy. Low odds beat zero odds.
I did some digging and NAVADMIN 125/22 states
LDO: 8-14 years TIS and 1 year TIG for E-6 and above. TIS waivers
will be considered up to 180 days beyond 14 years for LDO applicants. No
further exceptions will be entertained.

I read through all the program authorizations again and looked up all the programs carefully. I think I will try calling the Engineering Duty Officer and Aerospace Maintenance Duty Officer community manager to get more info on eligibility. Its not looking good but its worth a try. All other programs have requirements that don't seem realistic to give me waivers for. Unless someone has any suggestions for programs to look into?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I did some digging and NAVADMIN 125/22 states
LDO: 8-14 years TIS and 1 year TIG for E-6 and above. TIS waivers
will be considered up to 180 days beyond 14 years for LDO applicants. No
further exceptions will be entertained.

I read through all the program authorizations again and looked up all the programs carefully. I think I will try calling the Engineering Duty Officer and Aerospace Maintenance Duty Officer community manager to get more info on eligibility. Its not looking good but its worth a try. All other programs have requirements that don't seem realistic to give me waivers for. Unless someone has any suggestions for programs to look into?

EDO usually requires an engineering degree and AMDO is usually set aside for enlisted aviation.

exNavyOffRec

Maybe my experience as an MM will be considered along with my degrees. I don't know what else. Do you have any suggestions on which community to follow up with?
You would need to have the educational background to jump into a Masters in some type of engineering, which means you will need a prior degree that has the physics, calculus and all the other prereqs that would lead to being able to take that Masters.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Maybe my experience as an MM will be considered along with my degrees. I don't know what else. Do you have any suggestions on which community to follow up with?
You would need to have the educational background to jump into a Masters in some type of engineering, which means you will need a prior degree that has the physics, calculus and all the other prereqs that would lead to being able to take that Masters.
As an EDO, I would recommend not even bothering. We take very few people directly through OCS. Most of our direct commissions come out of the Reserves (Provided they have the educational and skill background) or through special cases out of NROTC or the Academy if they've been medically disqualified from other communities.

@machinistmate04, if you do not have a Master of Science in some sort of engineering or computer science field, you have zero shot. EDOs are largely drawn from SWO-EDO options, Sub-EDO options, and lateral transfers from URL officer communities. You do not have the requisite operational experience as an officer which is yet another strike against you. Add to that that by the time you got out of NPS you'd be at 18 years of service, you wouldn't have the legs to pay back your Masters degree let alone make it to LCDR. Dude, I get that you want to be an officer, but the only path open to you right now is becoming a CWO. Is there some reason you aren't going to make Chief in the next 5 years?

exNavyOffRec

The numbers are small for OCS to EDO, when you add the goals of SWO-EDO and EDO together it is only low teen for each FY.

This is of course if a person qualifies like AA.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The numbers are small for OCS to EDO, when you add the goals of SWO-EDO and EDO together it is only low teen for each FY.

This is of course if a person qualifies like AA.

The majority of SWO-ED options I’ve seen come from USNA and even some from NROTC. At least that was going off the last few accession plans.

Handful come from the streets / OCS.