• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

37 years old with 15 year TIS, What program will accept me?

machinistmate04

I am old and been in the Navy for a long time. I want to put in an OCS package but don't know what programs will give me a waiver. I am open to anything that will accept me. Does anyone have any advice?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am old and been in the Navy for a long time. I want to put in an OCS package but don't know what programs will give me a waiver. I am open to anything that will accept me. Does anyone have any advice?

Step 1 is here:

You've been in for 15 years, take the time to go through the references / information (hint: check out the program authorizations) to help find your answer. Additionally, talk to your CCC and find an officer mentor or two in your command who is willing to help out.

exNavyOffRec

In addition to what was already said you really gave us no info to work with. If you have 15 years TIS with a BA in History with 2.1 GPA then there probably isn't anything for you. If you have 15 years TIS with a Bachelors GPA that is very good and a Masters degree in Healthcare Administration also with a high GPA then I would encourage you to look.

machinistmate04

In addition to what was already said you really gave us no info to work with. If you have 15 years TIS with a BA in History with 2.1 GPA then there probably isn't anything for you. If you have 15 years TIS with a Bachelors GPA that is very good and a Masters degree in Healthcare Administration also with a high GPA then I would encourage you to look.
Sorry I read thru all the program authorizations before making this post. The few that will accept someone over 35 has a tis restriction or needs a degree relating to the program. It's frustrating deciphering how waiverable a requirement is. Also I have a bachelor's in business admin with a 3.8gpa and a master's from WGU in IT management. I'll take any program that says they'll take me.

exNavyOffRec

Sorry I read thru all the program authorizations before making this post. The few that will accept someone over 35 has a tis restriction or needs a degree relating to the program. It's frustrating deciphering how waiverable a requirement is. Also I have a bachelor's in business admin with a 3.8gpa and a master's from WGU in IT management. I'll take any program that says they'll take me.
You are a longshot for the one I see you are qualified for. I am guessing you are currently a PO1? If so your best bet would be to make CPO and apply CWO.

FormerRecruitingGuru

To put it bluntly, the high TIS makes you a flight risk in terms of community management since you would be retirement eligible in 10 years (only need 10 YCS).

I would check out Chief Warrant Officer programs.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
You are a longshot for the one I see you are qualified for. I am guessing you are currently a PO1? If so your best bet would be to make CPO and apply CWO.
If he is a PO1 he is also eligible for LDO if his community has LDOs. If he's an MM, there are definitely both LDO and CWO positions available. If he no longer wants to be a Snipe, he should have applied for a URL officer program five years ago.

FormerRecruitingGuru

If he is a PO1 he is also eligible for LDO if his community has LDOs. If he's an MM, there are definitely both LDO and CWO positions available. If he no longer wants to be a Snipe, he should have applied for a URL officer program five years ago.

Issue with LDO is the 14 year TIS max, I can see a few months being waived but something over a year... doubtful.

It ends up hurting the member beyond 14 years TIS because they can possibly stat retire out before even being in zone for O-4, O-5, etc.

machinistmate04

I already started some paperwork and scheduled my OARS. But I think this community would know best on my chances. I've asked alot of people but the answer is always vague. Should I just stop trying as I don't want to waste anyone's time?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I already started some paperwork and scheduled my OARS. But I think this community would know best on my chances. I've asked alot of people but the answer is always vague. Should I just stop trying as I don't want to waste anyone's time?

If you don't apply, the answer is always no. If you're qualified, I don't think you're wasting anyone's time by asking. Just have a backup plan ready in case things don't work out.

number9

Contributor
Anecdotes aren't data, but there were a couple of guys in my ODS class who had more than 15 years TIS and were able to commission successfully. So you may want to check into the DCO program...

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Anecdotes aren't data, but there were a couple of guys in my ODS class who had more than 15 years TIS and were able to commission successfully. So you may want to check into the DCO program...
It doesn't sound like @machinistmate04 has the prerequisite specialty skills (Legal, chaplain, Dental, Medical, Nuclear Physics) background necessary to qualify for an ODS slot.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
IP is Restricted Line and are commissioned via OCS. They have similar TIS limits as other RL communities. If not even the LDOs will take him then he's too senior for a Line commission. CWO is his only shot.

number9

Contributor
IP is Restricted Line and are commissioned via OCS. They have similar TIS limits as other RL communities. If not even the LDOs will take him then he's too senior for a Line commission. CWO is his only shot.
There were two IP guys in my ODS class. The guys with 15+ years of service were going INTEL, I believe.