• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

.357 Magnum Question

Birdman

Do all .357 Magnum's fire the .38 as well? I don't know if it's a dumb question or not.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Do all .357 Magnum's fire the .38 as well? I don't know if it's a dumb question or not.

Yes, all .357 will fire a .38 bullet, but a .38 will not fire a .357.
Cop in training? Come on boy!! Come to MN if you want to be a real cop!! :icon_mi_1

Birdman

I haven't used a .357, and we use Glock here,required. anyway just personal interest

but a .38 will not fire a .357.

I managed to figure this one out on my own :D

Lawman

None

.38 special will work out of any manufactured .357 Magnum. Due to its much cheaper cost per round most people will do their target shooting with .38 special rather than full out .357mag rounds. The difference in recoil is negligable and the main factor on your accuracy with a revolver is going to be trigger pull so its not gonna make enough difference on the paper.

Birdman

When you positively, just have to blow someones head off... accept no substitute.

I was considering buying one. That's why I asked, I wanted to shoot .38 Special for target shooting. I figured better to ask a stupid question and look dumb for 5 minutes then to not ask and be dumb forever :D

I've heard great things about the Sig as well, I plan on practice firing a few of them at the range when considering my next semi-auto purchase

Lawman

None
I was considering buying one. That's why I asked, I wanted to shoot .38 Special for target shooting. I figured better to ask a stupid question and look dumb for 5 minutes then to not ask and be dumb forever :D

I've heard great things about the Sig as well, I plan on practice firing a few of them at the range when considering my next semi-auto purchase

I have a S&W Model 19 that has been handed down as a third generation family heirloom. Of all my guns its the one that I would be pissed off the most if somebody stole it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
.38 special will work out of any manufactured .357 Magnum. Due to its much cheaper cost per round most people will do their target shooting with .38 special rather than full out .357mag rounds. The difference in recoil is negligable and the main factor on your accuracy with a revolver is going to be trigger pull so its not gonna make enough difference on the paper.

You generally have good firearms gouge, but I'm raising a HUGE bullsh!t flag on one part os this post. The difference in recoil between a .38 Special and a full load .357 Magnum are HUGE. I have a 4 inch Ruger GP-100 stainless .357 revolver. Being stainless, it's a bit heavy. I shoot .38 Special out of it regularly and at times go to .357 Magnum. There is a massive difference. I've also shot in snub-nose revolvers. The ouch factor is MAJOR between the two. Please don't pass bad gouge.

teabag53

pilot
I too have a S&W Model 19 and have not noticed any difference in recoil shooting .38s or .357 out of it. That said, I usually shoot .357. Might want to hit the gym. I kid.

Zissou

Banned

I agree trigger control is 90% of it.

But if any handgun is going to give you a 10 MOA flinch? The 357 is it. Especially if you've been training with lady bullets. Felt recoil is significantly different in 357 MAG and will at the least affect your recoil management skills.

I highly advise against training with 38spc if you intend to "carry" 357MAG.

If its a revolver? Its going from hand gun to Hand Cannon.

Zissou

Banned
I too have a S&W Model 19 and have not noticed any difference in recoil shooting .38s or .357 out of it. That said, I usually shoot .357. Might want to hit the gym. I kid.

You can attribute that to sound fundamentals, not surprised to here this from a Marine.

Alot of energy is eaten by the weapon's cycling into battery, its still a significant increase in felt recoil. Felt and perceived recoil are two different things.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I think you'll definitely notice the recoil difference between .38 special and .357 more in the snubbies (like Fly said), ESPECIALLY if they are the S&W Airweight variety. The frame is considerably lighter (for carry). I admit that I don't shoot revolvers at all, so my technique is far from sound. My buddy let me try his Airweight out w/ .357...it killed the web of my hand and my forearm was sore for a week! Poor technique, I know....I'm a Glock shooter normally.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Shoot a standard "plinking .38 Special 125 gr round and then shoot a full power 158gr .357 Magnum round. You'll notice a difference, trust me. There are plenty of .357 Magnum cartridges out there that are downloaded and shoot light. Try a full power load.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I have a ruger Blackhawk 357 (6.5") and love it. I put 5 38's and a 357 in the cylinder and let my buddy shoot it to see if he could tell the difference. He was very surprised (I wasn't) and it was very noticiable, even from my point of view. Mega-huge difference!