• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

.357 kick?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I have an S&W 342 Airweight Ti with Crimson Trace grips and a 442 Airweight for carry and home defense. Great little guns, for defense purposes. My anti-gun wife who never fired a shot until a month ago can even shoot them. With the DA trigger pull, my 5 year old cannot.

If you're having trouble finding one to try, I try to hit up Gateway in Jax a few times a month.

I'm also looking to sell one of them. . .:D

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
If you're having trouble finding one to try, I try to hit up Gateway in Jax a few times a month.

I'm also looking to sell one of them. . .:D

:confused: Wait, what? You rob the convenience store a few times a month? Wait.. What's a Gateway?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Mrs. P,
I don't know much about guns so I am in no place to make a recommendation, but I can tell you that I've shot a .357 (w/.357 ammo) with no problem at all.

At the time I was probably a size 4 (ah, to be in my 20's again and not have to work at it!) and I'm 5'4".

devil_dog_wife

Proud wife and mama!
Mrs. Pickle, I love my 38.. I never shot a gun before I met my husband and when we got engaged he bought me my 38! I am 5'4 and 115 and it has a slight recoil but not bad. Like someone else said the grip is short so it doesn't fill my whole hand, but I'm not bothered by that. It is such an easy gun to handle, and I don't feel intimidated at all carrying it or shooting it. I know where my husbands 1911 is and I feel comfortable using it but I can guarantee you the first gun I'll be running to if a bad guy gets in my house is my 38!

All of this gun talk makes me want to go shooting... We need to get a shotgun... Hmm.. Maybe while the husband is gone this summer I'll do some research! :)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
If you are worried about recoil, I'd advice against an S&W Airweight, especially if it is just for the house. Get a full size revolver if you plan to shoot .357, not the light frame. Shooting .357 from a light frame snubbie is painful.

biograd06

Princess of the Pulpmill
I agree. The lighter the gun, the harder it recoils. That's my biggest complaint against the Glock 19 9mm. Other 9mm's I've shot aren't nearly as bad (such as a Springfield XD), but I just prefer my Bersa .380 over anything else.

When we went shopping for a gun for me, there was a former FBI firearms instructor also shopping for a pistol. We got to talking to him, found out he also teaches a women's firearms class here in BR. He told us that the best way to find a gun for a woman is to ignore caliber and find what fits, and what is comfortable. And once you do that, finding a caliber in that same brand/style is fairly easy.

Example: Bersa makes a .380 (like mine) and a 9mm. They have slight variations, but similar weight and feel.

Attachments

• thun380lt_sat_mid.jpg
    thun380lt_sat_mid.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Thunder9pro.jpg
    Thunder9pro.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 22

FlyinRock

For those who feel recoil is a limiting factor may I make an observation?
Recoil can be intimidatiing and especially with preconceived notions. Most women I've trained don't have that. In fact, most women are MUCH better students for that reason and turn out to be decent shots. Men OTOH, have the idea they were born to be shooters and can quantify all the elements relating to firearms or other weapons.
I have seen what happens under severe stress and when someone is shooting back or coming at you with a knife/bat/machete et al, and if you are not highly trained and train on a nearly daily basis, you're gonna just point and shoot. After the fact, someone may ask how many shots were fired and often the answer is one or two when in fact, the gun was emptied!
Recoil is NOT a factor when the SHTF but training IS.

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
I agree. The lighter the gun, the harder it recoils. That's my biggest complaint against the Glock 19 9mm. Other 9mm's I've shot aren't nearly as bad (such as a Springfield XD), but I just prefer my Bersa .380 over anything else.

When we went shopping for a gun for me, there was a former FBI firearms instructor also shopping for a pistol. We got to talking to him, found out he also teaches a women's firearms class here in BR. He told us that the best way to find a gun for a woman is to ignore caliber and find what fits, and what is comfortable. And once you do that, finding a caliber in that same brand/style is fairly easy.

Example: Bersa makes a .380 (like mine) and a 9mm. They have slight variations, but similar weight and feel.
That makes total sense. A gun is a gun is a gun if you're firing it in the middle of the night.

Don't go onto the range with preconceived notions. And, training is the key.

You guys are full of good ideas this morning!
:)

utak

Mrs. Pickle, go all out and get a Heckler and Koch P2000SK. Get a very high quality gun from the get go, and just train with it over and over. If you get a crappy one (Taurus), you'll probaly end up hating it and will end up buying another model anyway.

H&KP200SK_Right.jpg

Recoil is very low, it comes with a dual spring buffer system. Very nice for females who might be scared about recoil, but want something very small. It's also very accurate, I end up shooting groups with mine that rival that of my SIG 226.

Magazine capacity is 10+1, very nice for a something this size, and if you need extra rounds . . . pop in a USP Compact magazine, that'll be 13+1.

Beware the girl who only has one gun, cause she knows how to use it :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... go all out and get a Heckler and Koch P2000SK.
H&KP200SK_Right.jpg
Good call ... this is exactly what TW is buying/ordering right now -- she wants an option other than the S&W snubbie and is distancing herself from her 1st generation G19 for a variety of reasons ...