• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31st MEU/LHA-5

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
Amateur rocket photographer here, the "kit" lenses that come with the Canon Rebels (T3i, T4i, etc) are actually pretty good glass. I believe they are the 18-55mm lenses. Granted they aren't L glass, but they are some of the best non-L glass you can get, surprisingly.

EDIT: Oh and nice shot!

Lawman

None
It's a Canon T5 and whatever lens came with it. I figured if I bought a real camera I would take more pictures.

I don't know if I should be impressed or scared by the fact you could recognize Barrio in the background.;)

The T5 is as good right now out of the box as some of the thousand dollar Pro level D cameras were only a couple years ago, so it'll get results. I recommend you go out sometime in low/poor light and learn how to shoot with it using shutter priority (the P on the dial) without flash. You need a very steady hand but when your shooting something like a 900 year old Cathedral with shitty lighting it'll blow your mind how well it pulls all the light into the frame and looks like you pro lit the area. It also stops you from being that asshole shooting art under glass in a museum and ruining everybody elses photos because of flash bloom (overexposure).

If your shooting on a 55mm your good for a while though I find a lot more use out of my 17-85mm, but shop around on your first telephoto (200mm+). Especially if your shooting stuff with action from a distance like kids soccer games. Here's an article that will walk you through what your buying for a particular budget. http://www.cameralabs.com/lenses/le...hich_Canon_sports_action_telephoto_lens.shtml

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
All that's missing is the swarm of bats coming up out of the jungle. But that shot looks to be taken too early in the day.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
The T5 is as good right now out of the box as some of the thousand dollar Pro level D cameras were only a couple years ago, so it'll get results. I recommend you go out sometime in low/poor light and learn how to shoot with it using shutter priority (the P on the dial) without flash. You need a very steady hand but when your shooting something like a 900 year old Cathedral with shitty lighting it'll blow your mind how well it pulls all the light into the frame and looks like you pro lit the area. It also stops you from being that asshole shooting art under glass in a museum and ruining everybody elses photos because of flash bloom (overexposure).

If your shooting on a 55mm your good for a while though I find a lot more use out of my 17-85mm, but shop around on your first telephoto (200mm+). Especially if your shooting stuff with action from a distance like kids soccer games. Here's an article that will walk you through what your buying for a particular budget. http://www.cameralabs.com/lenses/le...hich_Canon_sports_action_telephoto_lens.shtml
Yea thanks for the input. I looked a little into that stuff awhile back. When I visited my sister in Paris a few months ago she kept turning all the knobs and what not...I think I grasp some of the basics on exposure. Thanks for the link!

All that's missing is the swarm of bats coming up out of the jungle. But that shot looks to be taken too early in the day.
Yea, and a lady boy being drowned in a toilet but that's a different thread for a different day... I was around for that and quickly left. Can you say maximum revolutions?

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Yeah alchohol and hormones don't mix well. Little story about the bats from way back. We went out one afternoon to put some flight hours in doing some low levels and the pilots shot approaches at some of the more interesting fields in Luzon like Bagiuo, San Miguel and up at Batan Island (That field is a hoot) got back to Cubi area and we are enjoying one of those beautiful Westpac sunsets and notice a funnel cloud coming out of the jungle towards Mt Santa Rita.
Call Cubi tower and ask for weather
Tower responds that weather is CAVU
Tower are aware what looks like a funnel cloud is headed towards the field?
Yes those are bats sir.
Bats?
Yessir, Flying fox type, you might want to expedite your approach I need to close the field until they clear the area.