• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3 weeks to commissioning, still waiting to hear about medical clearance

Fly4it

Apparently big Navy has decided not to look at my medical paperwork yet, so I don't know whether or not I am cleared. 3 weeks until intended commissioning date. The admin guy at my battalion has been calling in regularly to check the status with NAMI(pretty sure that's the one), and I've been in contact with my OI since I found out this week that I'm not yet cleared. They haven't requested any extra paperwork or found anything wrong with what I've sent. They just literally have not reviewed it. Really just wanting to know if I'll actually be commissioning in 3 weeks. Suggestions? Please?

I've been looking through some other threads around this site, and have read about people having to wait several weeks after their scheduled commissioning to actually get processed through the system enough to commission. Do you get paid in this interim period after graduation and before delayed commissioning? Do I go to work at my unit every day until I commission and pretend I'm still a MIDN? This is all very frustrating because not only did I send my paperwork in many months ago, but last summer I went on an aviation cruise where I was cleared to go up in jets and it was fine. How does this information not transfer over? Really any ideas are appreciated.

Deere1450

pilot
I'm in the same position. You can't do anything. Yes it is frustrating. How do you know they haven't looked at your paperwork if you haven't heard anything? You won't work at your unit if you aren't commissioned (not getting paid). I get the feeling you are in my unit.

Suck it up, wait, and party while you can.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Like Deere said, you're not the only one in this situation. Though I'm an OC, I am still waiting on my medical along with every MIDN at my unit. The only person in my unit who has received a cleared medical is a nurse option OC. I hear some units have a few people medically cleared and a few people not. We have to wait and play the game and hope they get to our file soon.

As for if you will work, muster, etc. if you do not actually commission that will probably be up to your CO. You might want to ask your LT to see your current CO's policy. I will be on my fourth CO in the three years I've been here and each were drastically different so I don't have a "we do..." answer.

Deere1450

pilot
if you do not actually commission that will probably be up to your CO.

^Yeah, I should have said this.

The only guys/gals in our unit that have their orders are the SWOs, a mid that selected SEAL and a mid that selected EOD. I posted in another thread about my situation. My vision was entered incorrectly, so I had to submit a new eye exam. Talking with my CO a couple of days ago...said last year a mid didn't have his medical cleared until the day before commissioning. Kinda crappy considering some of us have family coming from out of state. It is what it is.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
To answer a few questions-

You don't get paid until you take the oath. You don't get back pay. YMMV, but my CO wouldn't let me take the oath with my peers and just not sign the paperwork. Sucked to tell my folks in town that they wouldn't see me get commissioned, but oh well.

Ask your advisor what they want you to do in the interim.

Sorry fellas, I know how much it sucks. Keep your chin up.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seven days until I commission and I have no orders. Don't know if I should start packing now or what, but what I am doing is drinking beer while I wait.

Do you just not have orders, or are you in the whole no medical clearance boat? If it's the former, that's pretty common. When I got commissioned, literally 5 minutes before the ceremony our CO pulled all of us going aviation aside and told us our Pensacola report dates.

cameron172

pilot
Do you just not have orders, or are you in the whole no medical clearance boat? If it's the former, that's pretty common. When I got commissioned, literally 5 minutes before the ceremony our CO pulled all of us going aviation aside and told us our Pensacola report dates.

Bummer. Medical cleared, just waiting on orders.

Hawk12

None
Was granted a waiver for my PRK today and am now medically qualified. I was impressed with their speed, I had to re-do my physical last Friday. Now just waiting for orders!

Deere1450

pilot
Medical good to go as of last Thursday. 5 days to commission. No orders yet. Just happy to be commissioning with my class.