• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3 October 2016 Pilot/NFO Board

Dewse5150

Long time user, first time poster. One issue that I'm having is attaining my transcripts from my college before the 06 Sept due date. I'll finish up my last class August 14th, but my academic advisor said that I wouldn't be able to get my official transcripts until 25 Sept or so, but they can send me a Letter of Qualification that lists my graduating GPA (3.50) and expected graduation (conferral) date. Do you think the board would accept this as long as everything else with my package is on point and let me send in my last transcript when it arrives?

~ BigLuvin
I am also in this situation, Im trying to get an "exception to policy" so that I can apply with the letter conferring my degree. Did you have any luck?

I am also in this situation, Im trying to get an "exception to policy" so that I can apply with the letter conferring my degree. Did you have any luck?

Dewse5150

No joke I am in the exact position you are, won't finish my last class until Sept 13th. I reached out to the OCS questions email since I am active duty. He replied with "Per OPNAV 1420.1B all Active Duty Navy must have a confer Bachelor Degree for OCS Application Submission, so if an applicant has not completed their degree, than they must get a waiver approval from OPNAV". I just have to figure out who he is talking about when he says OPNAV.
Did this ever work out for you? Im in the same situation trying to get an exception to policy...

Dewse5150

Never seen waiver, ever, for not having a degree in hand.
You never seen one, or you've seen one but never seen it get approved? And was under the same circumstances that me and these other guys are in? The only reason I need this is because my grad date is 6 days into the 90 day PRD window. The OPNAV folks said it would be easier doing a degree exception to policy verse a PRD exception to policy.

exNavyOffRec

You never seen one, or you've seen one but never seen it get approved? And was under the same circumstances that me and these other guys are in? The only reason I need this is because my grad date is 6 days into the 90 day PRD window. The OPNAV folks said it would be easier doing a degree exception to policy verse a PRD exception to policy.

not all circumstances are the same, but yes a person on here that sent their application in and it was rejected and they had to wait to reapply at their next command, every time a person tries to apply without the degree in had it is all the same result, all told to reapply when degree in hand.

It might take some time to search but there are several instances on here of people trying to do what you have done.

BigLuvin

pilot
None
Sorry for the late reply. I have an Exception to Policy Waiver but its for my age so that I can apply for Pilot. NavyOffRec is right,the OCS Help Desk said a "Letter of Qualification" from your school is acceptable for every branch except the Navy! Good thing is, the next board that myself and several other people were told would be held in November. At the same time, NRC can do whatever the hell they want and have a board Saturday morning.

BigLuvin

pilot
None
not all circumstances are the same, but yes a person on here that sent their application in and it was rejected and they had to wait to reapply at their next command, every time a person tries to apply without the degree in had it is all the same result, all told to reapply when degree in hand.

It might take some time to search but there are several instances on here of people trying to do what you have done.
Tis true...

Dewse5150

Sorry for the late reply. I have an Exception to Policy Waiver but its for my age so that I can apply for Pilot. NavyOffRec is right,the OCS Help Desk said a "Letter of Qualification" from your school is acceptable for every branch except the Navy! Good thing is, the next board that myself and several other people were told would be held in November. At the same time, NRC can do whatever the hell they want and have a board Saturday morning.
So were you able to get an exception to policy for going over 29 ( assuming your active duty)? I would likely need to do that if the degree exception to policy doesnt work out.

BigLuvin

pilot
None
So were you able to get an exception to policy for going over 29 ( assuming your active duty)? I would likely need to do that if the degree exception to policy doesnt work out.
I somehow got one a month or so ago. It was somewhat a pain in the ass to do because no one in my command has ever heard about one. Don't rely on your Admin Dept or Career Counselors on this one. I'll just leave it at that... The biggest thing that would work in your favor is if you know someone who works at OPNAV N1 and your Skipper and XO are both on board. I was lucky because both my Skipper and XO are badass and backed me 100%. Another thing, I talked to the CNP when he was down here a few months ago about the whole age limit. Needless to say, change is on the horizon and the age limit is possibly going to increase. When, it could be five damn years, but change will come.

exNavyOffRec

I somehow got one a month or so ago. It was somewhat a pain in the ass to do because no one in my command has ever heard about one. Don't rely on your Admin Dept or Career Counselors on this one. I'll just leave it at that... The biggest thing that would work in your favor is if you know someone who works at OPNAV N1 and your Skipper and XO are both on board. I was lucky because both my Skipper and XO are badass and backed me 100%. Another thing, I talked to the CNP when he was down here a few months ago about the whole age limit. Needless to say, change is on the horizon and the age limit is possibly going to increase. When, it could be five damn years, but change will come.

How old will you be when the board is held?

exNavyOffRec

Yeah, there was talk of age limit increase back in 2009 as well, so don't anyone hold their breath on that one.

In fact they actual decreased the age limit on a few designators after that.

BigLuvin

pilot
None
Yeah, there was talk of age limit increase back in 2009 as well, so don't anyone hold their breath on that one.

In fact they actual decreased the age limit on a few designators after that.
I wonder if the Navy is facing Pilot retention problems the same way the AirForce claims they are having?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Agreed with @NavyOffRec . There's a million other things on CNPs plate and this is probably at the very bottom. With such a demand of pilot and NFO applicants, there isn't a need to change the requirements.