• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3 October 2016 Pilot/NFO Board

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Rufio or Navyoffrec, I managed to turn my processing not warranted into a processing is warranted after over a year and 3 attempts. My PRK and unsuitability for military service are Ok'd. N3M wants me to have a psych eval in addition to MEPS. The ones who did the work were actually enlisted recruiters because the OR is in Japan for a month and they are helping him. They said everything is good to go to schedule me to complete the tasks, but I noticed the letter head reads for enlistment into the Navy as opposed to for appointment/commissioning. MANMED standards are the same for program or enlistment, can I still apply to OCS with this N3M processing letter? Thanks for any insight.

Its not a mistake. You go to OCS as an E5 and upon completion then commission as an O-1.

Its not a mistake. You go to OCS as an E5 and upon completion then commission as an O-1.
Thanks for this! Extremely excited to finally move forward. The OR has returned from Japan and I touched base with him. He says he can't send my application up for the Oct 3rd board because NRD San Francisco has no more slots left until after October 1st, the new fiscal year. I saw you mentioned this board is accepting FY17 applications, so I'm wondering if I can be a part of this board and maybe he just made a mistake? If not I'm sure there will be another one soon.

onlycraigdarlin

pilot
He says he can't send my application up for the Oct 3rd board because NRD San Francisco has no more slots left until after October 1st, the new fiscal year.

This particular nonsense really grinds my gears. What he's telling you (from my understanding) is that he doesn't want to or his NRD staff won't put you up because their NRD won't get the credit for it on this board. It's not that it can't be done, it's more of a will to do it.

If you have any aviation experience, academic or flight training, be sure to bring it to his attention. If you're a well qualified candidate, his NRD may give him permission to put you up anyway ( as was the case for me this July board).

This particular nonsense really grinds my gears. What he's telling you (from my understanding) is that he doesn't want to or his NRD staff won't put you up because their NRD won't get the credit for it on this board. It's not that it can't be done, it's more of a will to do it.

If you have any aviation experience, academic or flight training, be sure to bring it to his attention. If you're a well qualified candidate, his NRD may give him permission to put you up anyway ( as was the case for me this July board).

Thanks for your response. I think I'm a well qualified candidate.... 7/7/7 68, BS in Mechanical Engineering, 3.32 GPA and so far O6 Naval pilot and commander of NROTC and O5 Air Force at STRATCOM LOR's. My flight experience was all through EAA young eagles program so although I have experience none of it is official unfortunately.

I saw Rufios statement, but I don't understand the second part entirely, so maybe I can go before this board and he or his staff will get credit?

onlycraigdarlin

pilot
Thanks for your response. I think I'm a well qualified candidate.... 7/7/7 68, BS in Mechanical Engineering, 3.32 GPA and so far O6 Naval pilot and commander of NROTC and O5 Air Force at STRATCOM LOR's. My flight experience was all through EAA young eagles program so although I have experience none of it is official unfortunately.

I saw Rufios statement, but I don't understand the second part entirely, so maybe I can go before this board and he or his staff will get credit?

Yes, I would think it'd fall into the next years FY stats anyway, like Rufio indicated.

andrew90

Just finished up my kit, should definitely be in for this board. Standby...
Off topic, I am finishing my masters at National! I put my kit up for navy but was rejected for SNA. At the same time I got selected for Marine SNA! I may put my kit back up for the Navy board in October, but I turn 27 in January, and thats very very close, however for the Marines the age limit is 27 and 1/2. We will see what happens!

onlycraigdarlin

pilot
Off topic, I am finishing my masters at National! I put my kit up for navy but was rejected for SNA. At the same time I got selected for Marine SNA! I may put my kit back up for the Navy board in October, but I turn 27 in January, and thats very very close, however for the Marines the age limit is 27 and 1/2. We will see what happens!

Well, why would you apply for USMC OCS if you weren't ready to pursue a commission in the Corps? Just curious, because the answer is important.

If serving as an Officer in the military and being a Naval Aviator is your goal, then you've been selected for that goal already. There shouldn't be an issue here, you've been accepted for a shot at your goal. Especially being close to age critical, consider your options wisely.

Not telling you what to do. It's a big decision but I will say think about what's at the heart of your application to either service.

jnav3

Why were you rejected for Navy SNA? Did they reject the scores you have in your signature? And I agree with @onlycraigdarlin, the Marine side gave you the green light, I would've taken it if you took the time to apply.

andrew90

Well, why would you apply for USMC OCS if you weren't ready to pursue a commission in the Corps? Just curious, because the answer is important.

If serving as an Officer in the military and being a Naval Aviator is your goal, then you've been selected for that goal already. There shouldn't be an issue here, you've been accepted for a shot at your goal. Especially being close to age critical, consider your options wisely.

Not telling you what to do. It's a big decision but I will say think about what's at the heart of your application to either service.
Right, I am age critical. With that the Marines is clear route in that respect. Most likely I won't, it was just a thought.

onlycraigdarlin

pilot
Right, I am age critical. With that the Marines is clear route in that respect. Most likely I won't, it was just a thought.

Not that it isn't ok to reconsider. I actually completed much of the application towards PLC while in college but I decided not to apply in the end. I wasn't sure if I was applying for the Corps for the right reasons and decided to wait until after graduating to decide, ended up pursuing Navy instead.

Just saying, think it over and don't try to play both sides for no reason. Think about what you truly want because that's what will give you the push to get through OCS, in either branch.

Jad4400

Alright guys, going in on this one. Hopefully 2nd time is the charm!

Good luck to you man!

I just started my recruitment process, spoke to the officer recruiter on Wednesday and am starting to get the ball rolling. I'm hoping I can get my ducks in a row for this date, but I'll probably have to wait for the December submission date. Still gotta do MEPS and the ASTB...