• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3 mile run

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNU-OCS

My question is the type of terrain they make you run on at OCS for the running portion of the PFT. Is it in places were there are hills or is it on a flat track? This summer i plan on running out in our state park i live by, there is lots of hills there, the way i see it is if i can run 3 miles there, then it will be easier at OCS.

howtough

To answer your question, the THREE mile run is a flat one. There are no hills at all while you do your PFT down there. I'm guessing that the only negative point about the run is that you have to do total of 4 laps in order to complete the three miles. Apart from that... it's good.

cycl06

MNU-OCS said:
My question is the type of terrain they make you run on at OCS for the running portion of the PFT. Is it in places were there are hills or is it on a flat track? This summer i plan on running out in our state park i live by, there is lots of hills there, the way i see it is if i can run 3 miles there, then it will be easier at OCS.

Good question. You'll run the PFT on mostly a gravel surface and paved road with no hills. All your other runs will include hills and you should include those in your workouts. I think that the PFT course is actually a little longer than 3 miles, but they say it's not.

KBayDog

CORPSviation said:
it most definately is, they lie

It's actually 4.3 metric miles, but the OCS staff got a waiver from BUPERS and the staff at NOAA & the SAG to conduct a longer than standard PFT, so it's really okay.

VAmookie

ohhhh. wow.... hey, they got a waiver, so, you know, its ok. They dont need a waiver, its the fricken Marine Corps, they just say do it, and we do it, doesnt matter if its 5 miles. regardless, its over 3 miles, so every one's run time will be a little off.

KBayDog

MNU,

I was joking about the PFT course. It is 3 miles; it just may feel longer because you are fatigued from culture shock/being awake for the first three days.

Anyway, if you get yourself into good enough shape whereby you can comfortably run 8-10 miles in running clothes every day, you will have an easy time at OCS. It will make the 5-6 mile gear runs seem like child's play. Just do not get injured while training - slowly work up to the long runs. It is better to show up to OCS strong and healthy than in decathlete shape.

Just like most things in the military, the PT event times (for the average candidate) are tough to max, but even tougher to fail. It is just a matter of gutting it out most of the time. Of course, you want to max it, otherwise you wouldn't be there, right?

KBayDog

CORPSviation said:
its the fricken Marine Corps, they just say do it, and we do it, doesnt matter if its 5 miles.

Not quite true. Yes, they say do it, you do it - as long as it is a lawful order. However, "they" are held to the same MCO P6100.12 as the rest of the Corps. "They," just like the "they" at our recruit depots, do not have carte blanche to do whatever they want. There are standards that must be upheld.

For a school that preaches integrity with all that they do, why would the CO put himself in a position where any standard could be second-guessed? Especially for something as routine as a PFT. Even though it is something taught at TBS, OCS is the first experience for many with training management - they are, in effect, teaching you how to conduct a PFT. Why would they teach you wrong? Anyway, there are adjusted times due to altitude, but that is really the only provision made for different courses.

The 2.8-3.2 sea story probably dates back to when a bitter Sam Nicholas ran an 18:01 on his initial PFT. Regardless, everything is carefully laid out in the order. It is up to us to uphold its letter and spirit.

In any event, here's what the order says (in part) for the conduct of the run:

"b. 3.0 mile Run Course. The run course must be measured for accuracy and set over reasonably level ground. Course selection criteria must include consideration of the following:
(1) Safety. Operational Risk Management (ORM) measures must be taken to
ensure the course does not expose participants to undue risk.
(2) Performance. When possible, the course should be an “out and back” or
wide loop course. The run course should not include numerous sharp turns, etc. that would force a participant to slow down excessively to remain on the course.

2-5

2101 MCPFTBCP
(3) Location. An indoor or outdoor track is permissible for the conduct of
the run event. A determination as to whether the track is a yard or meter track must be made and the track measured to ensure accurate distance, prior to conducting the PFT. Run courses should not require a Marine to do more than 12 laps to cover 3.0 miles, (e.g., a course should not be shorter than 440-yard per lap). Running this event on a treadmill is not authorized."

Status
Not open for further replies.