• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3.3 and higher only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaerose

Yeah, I know guys (and girls) that go to a different school that's much larger than mine and they have what I consider cake majors and they are getting better GPAs than me (not by much), but I'd rather have my degree (just graduated with BS in Physics and a Math minor) because it's difficult and I think that if I can do it successfully then I should be able to adapt to other materials. Now don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking the high GPA, I'm commending it, but I don't think they'd get a 3.6-3.8 if they switched to a technical major.

Also, you have to consider differences in the curriculum of the schools. I transferred schools after my sophomore year and although the schools were very similar, the degree requirements were not. For instance, my friend got a BS in Bio and CSCI from my first school and all he had to take in math for his CSCI degree was Calc. I. At my school, CSCI is in the math department and you involuntarily get a math minor. Big difference because he went to grad school and had to learn more math just to keep pace. He graduated with a 3.7, which is impressive, but he doesn't like math so much and I'm not sure he would've been able to do that at my school (although he most likely would have...he's a pretty intelligent guy). So you can't compare GPAs between schools and majors...it's not a valid comparison.

JR

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your recruiter is refering to the current "competitive profile". And everything you have read here about other applicant's GPA, test scores, etc is meaningless unless it was as recent as a month or so. The competivitve profile is variable based on opennings and current applicants. As to your recuiter, I doubt he is a slacker. It is his job to put people in the Navy and he is evaluated on how many he puts in. It is a sales job with weekly meetings justifying his production. And the shot about him getting paid regardless of effort is a low blow. EODDave gets paid regardless of the grades he gets in flight school, but I'm sure he busts his butt. All that said, I can say that from what I read here, you would have a good application. Problem is there are next to no slot available in the near future. If accepted it will probably mean an OCS date some months off. I'll ask you what I asked all my graduating applicants that were convinced they were just born to be a Naval Aviator. Where were you 10 months ago? Could have had an OCS date waiting for you by now. Go ahead and apply. If you push it your recruiter will take the application.

thor44

How many months are we talking about? You see I really would not mind a wait. I am a very goal oriented person and I love to have something in the future that I am looking toward and waiting for. I am sure that I speak for most of us hopefull ones when I say that, if we had a slot waiting for us in 10 months or over a year we would not mind. Heck, I could work at the most mindless civ job just b/c I GET TO GO TO OCS AND FLIGHT SCHOOL!!!

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't been in the office for a few weeks (I'm a reservist)so I can't say for sure. Unless there is an unexpected refusal by someone in the pipeline, it will probably be what they call "out year". That means the class date would be in the next fiscal year. A guess would be a minimum wait of six months. Your recruiter has the best up to date info. Right now nationwide the navy is critically short of their goal for medical programs and short in year nukes (there are just two progams far more competitive and exclusive for you NAVAIR primadonnas). Your recruiter's boss may have told him to work med programs or nuke because they have made goal for aviation and the programs are filled. Tell him you will wait for a class date. Make it a part of your motivational statement on your app. Next time you see him be prepared to schedule the ASTB exam. When you come to take the exam, be prepared to schedule the physical if you pass the exam. Don't put off anything. Make it easy for him. Sometimes programs do fill, in year and out year, so be prepared to wait those months before applying. The navy is like any business, There needs to be an oppening to fill before we hire anyone.

thor44

Thanks for the good info/advice wink. Most helpful.

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

Status
Not open for further replies.