• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3.3 and higher only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thor44

I talked to a Navy recruiter a few weeks ago and I was told that the Navy will not even look at your application to flight school unless you have a GPA of 3.3 or higher. I will graduate in 6 days from Erskine College and will have a GPA a smidge over 3.3. My question: Is the 3.3 thing a real requirement or is it just something that the recruiters say to scare off some people? I have noticed that people have said that they got into flight school with less than a 3.3. ( I am not cracking on any of you by the way
icon_viking.gif
) Anyone know/heard about this? Thanks for the help!

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

kabttu

I believe that the actual minimum is something like 2.0 or 2.5 but because it's so competitive right now, the bar has been raised when it comes to gpa. since the board has their pick of whoever they want, they're only taking the higher gpa's it seems like. what will your degree be in? that is also a factor, if it is something technical, you can usually get away with a little lower gpa then if it's in history or something (nothing against history people!) just my .02.

kevin

jaerose

Hey, I like history, but I got my degree in Physics. I think that they are looking for 'better qualified' people right now, but that's not to say you're not one of those people. Tell your recruiter you want to submit your package anyways and if he doesn't work with you...contact another recruiter. It's your life and dream, so why let someone keep you from attempting to fulfill it? Best of luck.

JR

Hudson

The Navy looks at applicants overall package. From what I have been told you can get a way with lower scores if you are, in general, very qualified. Say you have a lower GPA, if you have done a lot of leadership things or have a military background it might ballance out in their eyes. Correct me if I am wrong.

jaerose

I graduated with a 3.45...but when I got in it wasn't even close to that (personal stuff). So, put in your package and make it nice and tight, then wait and see.

JR

thor44

Good guess kabttu, my major is history. And if you are not careful I will start spouting post-modernist historiographical interpretations of the repercussions of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979 as compared to their and the Warsaw Pact’s intervention in Czechoslovakia during the period of Prague Spring. Heck, I may get wound up and even go as far as to look at it from the Marxist, Feminist and Political side as well!
banghead_125.gif
Ha, just kidding, I would not force that on anyone. As I said my GPA is 3.3x (3.30-3.33 all depends on how I do on finals). I am hoping that my extracurricular activities will help some. For example, I have played four years of NCAA D2 basketball and I was co-captain this year. I served as vice president for the national history honor society (Phi Alpha Theta). I was elected to the Student Judicial Counsel and the Student Christian Association Cabinet. I have done volunteer work as a HOSTS mentor at a nearby elementary school. I am hoping that my having played basketball will be a help because I have been told that, at least in the private sector, employers like to see that you can do something as time consuming as play a college sport and still maintain a decent GPA. I will also be getting my private pilots license this summer. I have ordered several study books for both the ASTB and the AFOQT (will be taking that as well) I will be using them as well as the Marine Study Guide from Air Warriors. Also my grandfather served in the Navy during WWII as an enlisted sailor and I have a retired Air Force Colonel and a retired Army Brigadier General who are willing to do the reference letter/questionnaires that the Navy sends out. Oh, as to going to another recruiter, I have not tried that but I will definitely keep it in mind. I am going to everything in my power to become a pilot!
Thanks for the info! Keep it coming!

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

kabttu

thor44,
haha, hey nothing against history people! :) wow, sounds like you've done quite a bit, i'd say that you would have a pretty decent shot, just blow the ASTB away. I'm the other way around, started school without any goals really and just goofed off, really hurt me, gonna have to go to grad school to offset, I'll probably still apply once I've graduated but doubtful that I'll be picked up.

Kevin

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Apply then apply again until they let you in!

Dave

Oh yeah, the required 3.3 is BS. It is probably the experience of your recruiter saying that without a 3.3 you are wasting his time. Tell him he gets paid regardless and not to be a slacker.

jaerose

Be persistent and show them how much you want it. I'm sure they'd rather have highly motivated individuals that are excited and driven to be where they are instead of people with somewhat better grades that are doing this because they didn't get their job at Goldman-Sachs.

JR

thor44

Thanks for the quick responses. Keep em coming if you have anything else to share.

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

JayManC

man, i didnt do enough in college, look at you guys officers in student gov't, school mentors.... and all i did was drink through college. Never particularly liked school enough to want to stay there any longer than necessary.
granted i did get in with 3.11, supposed to swear in on monday!!

<insert something witty here:>

thor44

I agree with that. GPA does not really mean that much. I am actually amazed at the difference in academic difficulty between colleges, even colleges that are close to one another. One would think that, in our day and age things would be prety much standard. That is not the case. A friend of mine went to a different, slightly larger college about 45 minutes from where I go. He was an average student in HS. In college he rarely studied, drank a lot and joind a frat. He will be graduating with a 3.8 in English. Go figure!
icon_smile_question.gif

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

Status
Not open for further replies.