• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2nd PRT before OCS??

Nikki2184

Ok, so I am a final select for IW and have an OCS date of March 15th. I've already done 1 PRT for my recruiter where I got a good low. Now, out of the blue he is telling me I have to do a second one with scores equivilant to a good-high.

He says if I don't get these scores, he won't send me to OCS. Has anyone else done this? It just seems odd to me. I've already been finally selected!

Goob83

None
NIKKI, not sure where the good high is coming from he may just be trying to motivate you or his boss has laid the law down because your district is having too many in PRT failures. The requirement is before you ship you pass with a good Low. My district requires a 45 30 15 10 and a 5 day PRT all of which one must pass with flying colors. As always you should try to do the best you can with any PRT you do. go take it KICK BUTT and get ready for OCS. I am confident if you do better than the what is required you will ship no questions. They are only looking out for your best interest in the long run.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
He's doing it because of the high number of In-PRT failures. Candidates were failing them, when recruiters had no business sending them on their way. My recruiter told me that I needed to complete a PRT to a Good-high IIRC within three or four weeks of my class date. Even with this, you'll see a LOT of failures on your in. DO NOT be one them. It's an instant black eye in a place you do not want to stand out. If you have trouble getting a good high (which you'll see is not high enough) ask your recruiter to push your date back (I'm not sure if you can push it back for any reason, but its better then failing your in-PRT) and PT your brains out till you class up. Gym 2x a day 6 days a week type of work. It will be worth it.

red_ryder

None
Yep, that's standard procedure now. Guess they had a class in which HALF of them failed the In-PRT, so...Now you have to take one within 14 days of your OCS date, so my processor tells me.

In fact, there was some confusion about that recently on my findocs I got recently, so there was a possibility I'd have to report for March 3rd, so I took one yesterday morning just in case. Furthermore, I'm gonna have to take another one in a week or two!

So hopefully you've been keeping up on your PT and trying to get in the best shape possible. Technically we should have been working out hard this whole time, right? :) As long as you push yourself, you can do it, and I'll probably see you on the 15th. Good luck.

RR

rugby mike

I think your recruiter is taking the right approach. When you take your in prt at OCS you are going to be dog tired both mentally and physically from the first few days and your scores will go drastically down. If you are right on the edge before OCS, you will not pass and be sent to H-class for at least two more weeks of glorious OCS fun.

Nikki2184

Well, my main problem was I didn't PT most of January because I was sick with a nasty chest cold. I was coughing up stuff the size of golf balls. And, right when I was feeling better, I got my wisdom teeth pulled. I heard they are required to take them in OCS, so I wanted to take them early so I had more time to recover, but I've had complications and I'm still in pain, so PT is a lot harder. I'm still in the gym 2 hours every day, but I'm definately NOT in the best shape I could be. Just nervous with my date fast approachin!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Nikki, I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't PT hardly any of January because my shin splint hurt so bad. I started PT'ing again early February and took my final PRT before OCS on like Feb 17th. I passed, but with good-low scores, and I struggled. My OCS date is March 2nd and I'm actually in ST. Louis right now, driving across country from Seattle. At least if I fail the in PRT, I will be getting paid to get in shape, which is more than I can say right now :D. Seriously though, there are others in your shoes, just do your best when you get there. Good luck and see you there.

Goob83

None
Well, my main problem was I didn't PT most of January because I was sick with a nasty chest cold. I was coughing up stuff the size of golf balls. And, right when I was feeling better, I got my wisdom teeth pulled. I heard they are required to take them in OCS, so I wanted to take them early so I had more time to recover, but I've had complications and I'm still in pain, so PT is a lot harder. I'm still in the gym 2 hours every day, but I'm definately NOT in the best shape I could be. Just nervous with my date fast approachin!
I am not sure what you mean by complications. I would hope those complications are over now! if not I hope you told your recruiter and you guys discuss not going at this time due to these complications.

xgrafcorex

i was just posting in another thread about the PRT and i too have to take a second PRT. my recruiter made no mention of having to score better than my previous scores..though i figure i should do at least as well as i did before..and better is certainly a plus!

any of you have to include a 500yard or 450meter swim + 5 min. of treading water? my first PRT didn't include the swimming portion, but the second PRT does. :confused: i'm not too worried about it, just haven't done too much swimming lately. guess i'll have to hit the pool a bit.

KGF, i'll be in St. Louis soon to complete my second PRT. i guess you aren't sticking around for long though? there are some good breweries there to get some food and have some tasty beers! :D

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
any of you have to include a 500yard or 450meter swim + 5 min. of treading water? my first PRT didn't include the swimming portion, but the second PRT does. i'm not too worried about it, just haven't done too much swimming lately. guess i'll have to hit the pool a bit.
The 500 yard swim is not required to commission. You only need to pass the level 3 swim qual (swim 50 meters, jump off a 15 ft platform, tread water for 5 minutes, and drown proofing which they will teach you when you get there).

AFAIK, the in-PRT at OCS is given with the run. Once you are commissioned, you will have the option to swim instead of run if you choose.