• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2nd Lt Pay

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Technically it should be any time you're in a flight status and getting minimum hours, which starts for us in primary.

It doesn't start the day you check into the primary wing, but the day you check into your primary squadron. Just a little tidbit.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Technically it should be any time you're in a flight status and getting minimum hours, which starts for us in primary.

There are minimum hours? Shit, if that's the case I probably shouldn't have gotten flight pay a couple months during primary . . . . oh yeah, month 9 complete, and still a couple weeks to go :D

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Relax.

I realize that very few of our military members receive fair monetary compensation for the sacrifices they make... I was just saying that for the qualifications most of the Marine 2nd Lts at TBS possessed, the hours put in, and the 6 or 7 to a room living situation - The pay was less than stellar.

Please enlighten me..... What qualifications are you speaking of?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Umm, potentially an engineering degree plus good GPA from a top school in the county? Whether you believe it or not, it's possible.

That is a qualification? Pretty tough to come out on top when your competition is Anne Arundel Community College. ;)

Complaining about O-1 pay, is that supposed to be funny or sad?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Please enlighten me..... What qualifications are you speaking of?

All the Marine 2nd Lts possessed at least Bachelors degree, some from prestigious schools - There was a Harvard educated lawyer in my company. Nearly all of them possessed the work ethic and capability to be an asset to any civilian company - Else they wouldn't have been there. I, along with a few others I knew of in my company, already possessed graduate degrees. Not bad for individuals who are 22, 23, or 24 years old, especially considering the average college student is taking at least five years to complete his/her degree now.

Complaining about O-1 pay, is that supposed to be funny or sad?

I wasn't complaining about the pay - I am very satisfied with what I make when BAH is included. However, I don't think its unreasonable to make the statement that taking home a little over $2k a month, when working 80+ hours a week, is not exactly stellar.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All the Marine 2nd Lts possessed at least Bachelors degree, some from prestigious schools - There was a Harvard educated lawyer in my company. Nearly all of them possessed the work ethic and capability to be an asset to any civilian company - Else they wouldn't have been there. I, along with a few others I knew of in my company, already possessed graduate degrees. Not bad for individuals who are 22, 23, or 24 years old, especially considering the average college student is taking at least five years to complete his/her degree now.

I wasn't complaining about the pay - I am very satisfied with what I make when BAH is included. However, I don't think its unreasonable to make the statement that taking home a little over $2k a month, when working 80+ hours a week, is not exactly stellar.

You should ask the myriad enlisted guys/gals who work those hours, or more, how they feel about their pay. And their qualifications are far more valuable to the military than a simple bachelor's degree right now, whatever that brings to the table.

Listen, you and the rest of your fellow TBS studs made a choice to take a commission. The Harvard guy, MBA school grads and the rest of those who graduated from 'prestigious' schools that you reference all also made a choice to become Marines. And believe it or not some took 5 to 6 years to get that coveted bachelors degree that is required of pretty much every commissioned officer in the US military. Many of them are starting out in a far better financial position than many of their civilian contemporaries, having had school paid for and the closest thing to a guaranteed job you can get.

So to hear you complain about the not so 'stellar' pay is a bit disingenuous. Most people start out with pay that is 'less than stellar' right out of college, but they seem to deal with it okay. The fact that you might have to work more than than your civilian contemporaries is a fact of life in the military, but the cool stuff you get to do and the great people you work with make it more than worthwhile. And if you stick it out, the benefits and pay get better and better, allowing you and your family to live a very comfortable life. The retirement plan can't beat either.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I understand your points, but I'm sorry, this just isn't an argument you're going to win. You're not going to get paid enough in this profession, no matter what your rank is. And living with 6 other guys really isn't going to get you points. The deployment I just got back from had 2 O-5s, an O-4, and 3 O-3s living in a 6-man in a room designed for 3 people. I assure you, it was "less than stellar."

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash is a Hinge.. He forgets what it was like to be a JO already. :icon_smil

Yes, the life of a JO is just oh-so-tough. Especially with hinges making life as difficult as possible or them. How soon I forget........;)

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
If Top Gun has taught me anything over the years, its that it is...

Better to retire and save your aircraft
than push a bad position.

'Afternoon gentlemen, and enjoy your weekend. :)

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
Yes, the life of a JO is just oh-so-tough. Especially with hinges making life as difficult as possible or them. How soon I forget........;)
Flash WAS a hinge... Aren't you a dirty civ, now?
Hinge-turned-civilian-contractor
(with horns!)
:p