• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

27JAN20 SNA/SNFO(Pilot/NFO)

Pawlus

Looks like I will be missing the 27SEP19 deadline due to a few reasons plus my wife is expecting our first son 02JAN20. For now the packet is due 19DEC19. Got a buddy in my shop that we are motivating each other to apply together. Good luck everyone.
AE3 (AW) PAWLUS - VFC-12 (Active - Joined APR17)
APPLYING FOR:
SNA\SNFO (19DEC19)
ASTB: 51 5\6\6
DEGREE: GPA 2.6
B.S. COMPUTER INFORMATION SYSTEMS W/ MINOR IN BUSINESS ADMIN

Reg-A-Muffin0716

Resist, Retaliate, Press Forward!
Looks like I will be missing the 27SEP19 deadline due to a few reasons plus my wife is expecting our first son 02JAN20. For now the packet is due 19DEC19. Got a buddy in my shop that we are motivating each other to apply together. Good luck everyone.
AE3 (AW) PAWLUS - VFC-12 (Active - Joined APR17)
APPLYING FOR:
SNA\SNFO (19DEC19)
ASTB: 51 5\6\6
DEGREE: GPA 2.6
B.S. COMPUTER INFORMATION SYSTEMS W/ MINOR IN BUSINESS ADMIN

What Terrence said. You may have aced the OAR, but you got minimum scores across all flight categories.

Phidawi

I'll be joining you on this board. Already got my N3M letter of approval, thankfully. Helps to work at a recruiting command.

Applying for: SNA/NFO
ASTB: 59, 8/8/8
GPA: 3.53
Degree: B.S. Nuclear Engineering Technology
Prior Service: Active Duty ETN1(SW/IW/AW), 9 years in service (Already got my conditional release)
Interviews: O-4, O-5, O-7
LOR: O-6, O-5(Retired), O-7

Pawlus

I'll be joining you on this board. Already got my N3M letter of approval, thankfully. Helps to work at a recruiting command.

Prior Service: Active Duty ETN1(SW/IW/AW), 9 years in service (Already got my conditional release)

How did you go about getting an O-7 as a LOR? Did you network through your command or social media like Linkedin?

I only ask to try and get at least a 1 star for one of my LOR's.

Phidawi

My command. He's the admiral in charge of recruiting, and my CO loves me since I've made our district look amazing this fiscal year.

Pawlus

My command. He's the admiral in charge of recruiting, and my CO loves me since I've made our district look amazing this fiscal year.

I am at a small command, might have to go to the wing of the base to find someone like that. Thanks for the quick response too.

Phidawi

Small commands are great for this kindof stuff. If you have any clout with your superiors, have them ask your CO to ask his boss or the one above that. Worst that will happen is they say no. Get what you can from the Navy since you're already in.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Hypothetically throwing my hat in this figurative ring. Not my first rodeo, but hopefully my last. Not through with N3M, but my recruiter expects me to have that behind me ahead of the 19DEC19 deadline. Stats are in my signature.

LoLo

Clown
I am at a small command, might have to go to the wing of the base to find someone like that. Thanks for the quick response too.

Hey Pawlus, not trying to discourage you from getting that heavy-weight LOR you're hoping for.

However, it shouldn't go without saying, LORs are meant to be more of a character-centric element, in just about any given application.
While having a higher-than-average ranking individual vouch for your accomplishments can sound good, it's going to be hard (and possibly detrimental to your overall effort) to present yourself as a person worthy of commissioning, if the people vouching for you cannot go off of a strong rapport that has already been established for a certain period of time.
They can list your quals and talk about your immediate achievements at the command-level. But, assuming the board actually bothers to review LORs with a sharper eye than they do motivational statements, those are all things that you should be able to hold up to a light by yourself-- via your Evals and awards.
Simply put, you'll quickly learn that it is better to have an LT who can vouch for your day-to-day attitude, and your willingness to tackle any challenge in order accomplish the mission, than a quick paragraph from a One-Star who cannot confidently speak to your potential as a leader.
Not to imply that nepotism isn't a fact of life in any working environment, only saying that there are usually people in your CoC/direct line of leadership who could easily go the distance for you if you asked (assuming that strong rapport is in place, of course).

Take all this with a grain of salt, but know that I share it with you (and anyone else reading this), because the premise of it is something I wish someone would have told me sooner in life, and because it is something that has personally helped me in the military, college, and the private sector.

Sjohnny15

I thought you only needed a conditional release if you were coming from a different branch?