• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

27JAN20 SNA/SNFO(Pilot/NFO)

SHART

Hey there, just got home from taking the ASTB and have yet to go to MEPS but I certainly plan on applying for this board. Hopefully everything works out at MEPS and I can make this board.

ASTB 58 8/9/8
GPA 3.3 Business
SNA
Private pilot

njrecc,

What did you study for the ASTB? I am retaking it in two weeks and need to increase my score. I got the mins last time and that didn't work out. I am currently taking flight lessons and am about half way complete with my private license. Not sure if it will help or not.

njrecc

njrecc,

What did you study for the ASTB? I am retaking it in two weeks and need to increase my score. I got the mins last time and that didn't work out. I am currently taking flight lessons and am about half way complete with my private license. Not sure if it will help or not.
The pilots license did help me out as far as not having to dedicate any time to reading the FAR/AIM or whatever poeple say they use to study. It's fairly basic stuff that you have probably already gone over, ie. higher speed air above the wing creating a low pressure and lifting. Had that on the mechanical portion as well as ANIT.

Go to my post yesterday on the "1,001 Questions About the ASTB" thread and you'll see what I said about the test and how to prepare. You should be spending a lot of time reading that thread anyway if you are about to take the test, it is a lifesaver.

Reg-A-Muffin0716

Resist, Retaliate, Press Forward!
njrecc,

Steve,

Get the latest Barron’s Flight Aptitude Test Book. Also, check out flashcards at Quizlet, especially for TBAS.

You don’t really need a license. Maybe just an hour or two worth of demo flights here and there.

SHART

Steve,

Get the latest Barron’s Flight Aptitude Test Book. Also, check out flashcards at Quizlet, especially for TBAS.

You don’t really need a license. Maybe just an hour or two worth of demo flights here and there.

Reg,

I have the Barron's military flight aptitude tests 3rd edition that I am going through. I have also been using Khan Academy for help with math and some physics. Furthermore I am looking through the 1,001 question thread to find helpful information as well.

From the last time I took the test until now the only thing flight lessons may help on is refreshing basic aviation information and the compass portion. Last test I didn't see a much if any FAA related questions.

Thanos

@SHART, I echo @Reg-A-Muffin0716 ’s suggestions.
I don’t know what your degree/background is, but if you need help with studying some of the math questions, I have a BA in physics and can help if needed. I might be a little rusty, and I took my test over a year ago, but I ended up getting logarithm and matrix questions since it’s adaptive, so clearly I was doing something right!

njrecc

Reg,

I have the Barron's military flight aptitude tests 3rd edition that I am going through. I have also been using Khan Academy for help with math and some physics. Furthermore I am looking through the 1,001 question thread to find helpful information as well.

From the last time I took the test until now the only thing flight lessons may help on is refreshing basic aviation information and the compass portion. Last test I didn't see a much if any FAA related questions.
It seems like some people see FAA stuff and some don't, I think they have such a large bank of questions to pull from that it's just different for everyone. I didn't have any FAA questions but I had one about airflow over the wing and one about types of flaps.

So if you're like me, it's been a while since you have studied math. I took the Barons practice tests and they were just way too easy. I did use Barons to freshen up on the mechanical portion and it helped me out since it's been nearly a decade since my only physics class. I used Khan Academy to relearn the math and it helped a lot with the basic algebra and just simply multiplying, dividing, adding, and subtracting fractions (which I've always struggled with fractions.)

But seriously, the biggest help for me and plenty of others, is the 1,001 questions thread, tons of people posted study guides and practice tests that helped a lot, for a lot of people. I started on page 250 and read forward to the current date, downloading everyone's study content as I went.

SHART

It seems like some people see FAA stuff and some don't, I think they have such a large bank of questions to pull from that it's just different for everyone. I didn't have any FAA questions but I had one about airflow over the wing and one about types of flaps.

So if you're like me, it's been a while since you have studied math. I took the Barons practice tests and they were just way too easy. I did use Barons to freshen up on the mechanical portion and it helped me out since it's been nearly a decade since my only physics class. I used Khan Academy to relearn the math and it helped a lot with the basic algebra and just simply multiplying, dividing, adding, and subtracting fractions (which I've always struggled with fractions.)

But seriously, the biggest help for me and plenty of others, is the 1,001 questions thread, tons of people posted study guides and practice tests that helped a lot, for a lot of people. I started on page 250 and read forward to the current date, downloading everyone's study content as I went.

I went to 1,001 question thread and started at page 250 and saw some that said go back to I think it was 226-228 for study guides and gouges. I found and saved a bunch of information. I will look over a lot of that in the next two weeks before my test on the 14th.

SHART

@SHART, I echo @Reg-A-Muffin0716 ’s suggestions.
I don’t know what your degree/background is, but if you need help with studying some of the math questions, I have a BA in physics and can help if needed. I might be a little rusty, and I took my test over a year ago, but I ended up getting logarithm and matrix questions since it’s adaptive, so clearly I was doing something right!

My degree is nontechnical. I know my issues are Math and some mechanical information. I have a bunch of study guides as well as refreshing on Khan Academy. I think the issue I have is not knowing what to refresh on and trying to refresh up on a lot of areas vs just a select few. I also need to refresh on the UAV portion a few more times before the 14th. I will let you know if I need more help than the study guides I have. Thank you!

Thanos

This might be a dumb question, but there’s no way to retake just the PBM joysticks section of the test, right? Because I’m pretty happy with my OAR for the most part, but I think I can do slightly better on the other three now that I know what to expect. The joystick on my test wasn’t calibrated very well. Although it could’ve just been because I suck lol, but hopefully not. I just never retook the test because I didn’t want to do worse and thus be stuck with that score

cinnamon

This might be a dumb question, but there’s no way to retake just the PBM joysticks section of the test, right? Because I’m pretty happy with my OAR for the most part, but I think I can do slightly better on the other three now that I know what to expect. The joystick on my test wasn’t calibrated very well. Although it could’ve just been because I suck lol, but hopefully not. I just never retook the test because I didn’t want to do worse and thus be stuck with that score

From what I know, an individual has 3 test lifetime limit. If you take the OAR you have 90 days to complete the aviation portion for an ASTB score so it only counts in the same attempt. If you pass the 90 day limit you have to retake the whole thing. Other than that instance, you have to retake the whole thing again including the OAR portion if you want to improve the aviation score. You also cannot retake within 30 days of your last attempt. I got most go this info from this website and my recruiter.

I've taken the OAR 3 times but the complete ASTB twice for my 3 test lifetime limit.

njrecc

i think it’s an all or nothing deal. I know you can do the OAR and then the rest at another time as long as it’s more than 31 days, but I don’t think you can redo half of it. And I think everyone felt like that during the PBM, I probably had the crosshairs in the green less than 10% of the time and felt horrible about it and ended up with a good score, so idk how much that section really matters as long as you don’t give up and focus on the verbal commands and emergencies as your primary task, just my humble opinion after taking it

Thanos

From what I know, an individual has 3 test lifetime limit. If you take the OAR you have 90 days to complete the aviation portion for an ASTB score so it only counts in the same attempt. If you pass the 90 day limit you have to retake the whole thing. Other than that instance, you have to retake the whole thing again including the OAR portion if you want to improve the aviation score. You also cannot retake within 30 days of your last attempt. I got most go this info from this website and my recruiter.

I've taken the OAR 3 times but the complete ASTB twice for my 3 test lifetime limit.

i think it’s an all or nothing deal. I know you can do the OAR and then the rest at another time as long as it’s more than 31 days, but I don’t think you can redo half of it. And I think everyone felt like that during the PBM, I probably had the crosshairs in the green less than 10% of the time and felt horrible about it and ended up with a good score, so idk how much that section really matters as long as you don’t give up and focus on the verbal commands and emergencies as your primary task, just my humble opinion after taking it

Dang, alright thanks guys. I’ll just stick with what I got then. I’ve been under the impression that mine are pretty decent for selection (I hope) so I’m not gonna redo the whole thing at this point

Csl221

Hopefully, I can make this board, waiting on one last thing from MEPS and I should be good to go. Best of luck to everyone!
Applying for: SNA
ASTB: 50, 7/8/6
GPA: 3.10
Degree: B.S in Finance