• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

26 Days to Go, What would you be doing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrenaline Rush

Alright Brothers and Sisters, just wanted some advice..Ive looked at some other threads saying we should know our general orders, rank structure and all that good stuff....What else should we be doing?? Im running 5-6 times a week ranging from 3-7 miles, doing a pyramid pullup program, and crunches along with pushups and all that stuff...Should I be running longer distances?? Any book in particular I should read?? Also, anything we should bring that isnt already recommended on the OCS website?? All Help is Appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

"And on the 8th day the Marines took over the globe and have been runnin it ever since"

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
If I were you I would do the same thing that I used to do before I had a major race. Taper-off the exercise for about a week to 2 weeks before you go. Start reducing the effort and distances put into exercise during those two weeks; DON'T sit on your ass though, just do enough to keep the muscles warm and loose. That's a rower's advice though, I'm sure somebody who's been through OCS could give you more accurate info. Good luck with it all!

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Hang out and spend some time with your friends and family. I know you want to prepare but it looks like you have everything covered. Just relax, get through your finals, and spend some time doing what you like to do. I'd say that's probably the healthiest thing for you now.

perchul

I agree with wildfly, you may want to endeavor into other stress relieving activities other then excercise as well, you'll be couped up for quite awhile so you may want to try to get laid if at all possible

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by wildflyin69
If I were you I would do the same thing that I used to do before I had a major race. Taper-off the exercise for about a week to 2 weeks before you go. Start reducing the effort and distances put into exercise during those two weeks; DON'T sit on your ass though, just do enough to keep the muscles warm and loose. That's a rower's advice though, I'm sure somebody who's been through OCS could give you more accurate info. Good luck with it all!

In this case the rower's advice works quite well. At OCS your muscles will get ripped up from overuse, so theres no use to start hurting them now. Also, the high amount of running is rough on the knees and feet, so a little rest before OCS will give them a chance to be completely healthy.

The Color Sergeant at the end of OCS gave us a class where he admitted that the purpose of PT at OCS is not to build you up, but rather to tear you down and see if you can still perform. Don't start tearing yourself down before the PTI even has his first crack at you.

Adrenaline Rush

thanx for all the advice!!!! some have told me to PT up until the day I leave cause the first few days there is no PT..But I think I agree with at least going a little easier on myself!!! I gota get all those good things in while i can!!!

"And on the 8th day the Marines took over the globe and have been runnin it ever since"

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
just some minor things that will make your life easier... i would recommend buying and getting used to an electric razor.. saves a lot of time and can be used anywhere without a mirror (which gets really crowded right after revelle and is nonexistent in the field). i would also pick up a cell phone if you don't already have one. they will hold onto it until liberty, but when you get let loose you can talk to everyone you need from anywhere... i didn't have one and spent alot of time on pay phones and in my hotel room talking to my girlfriend and family. also, pick out a couple pairs of clothes that will iron real, real easy.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Good gouge spledid_splinter. Stuff like that is what I'm wanting to know. Thanks. Others?

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

farkle84

cell phone is a great idea and if you dont own one, you can go out and buy one on liberty. the electric razor was not allowed in my platoon. they wanted close shaves so we used the gillette mach 3. especially for inspections.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by splendid_splinter
also, pick out a couple pairs of clothes that will iron real, real easy.

Maybe the best advice yet. When you go on liberty, if the creases in your trousers aren't RAZOR sharp than you can forget about leaving the squad bay. Some candidates got away with the excuse "The pants aren't made for ironing and are not supposed to have creases"... I couldn't believe they got away with that though, and I wouldn't count on your platoon staff to buy that excuse.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Buy slacks with the permanent creases. Also, when you pack your stuff to go, if you have little things, put them in a gallon size "clear" sandwich bag (when you dump your bags on the parade deck for the inspection, it'll help to keep everything together--you'll see why this is important when it happens!). You will also want to pack as light as possible -- your "frill" stuff can be shipped to you if you don't mind waiting a week or so for it.

Adrenaline Rush

You guys are awesome!!!! You can bet this advice will be put to good use!!!!

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
jboomer, what's "frill" stuff?

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

Status
Not open for further replies.