• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24th MEU Osprey Scares Rednecks

Mos

None
Judging from the pictures, looks like they may have underestimated the strength of those rotors. Still, some of what the civilians claim sounds like over-exaggeration. I'd be shitting myself with joy if an Osprey were to hover that close to my home. The Marines seem to be handling the incident well.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Based on the earlier low-flying F-18 story, we can be glad this didn't occur in Connecticut. They'd have gone beserko, for sure.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
woops. Take a platoon in and clean up the leaves and put the lawn furniture back. That's all.

And the comments section. Another example of fine Americans voicing their well thunk opinions. I can't wait to get the OpOrd to go seal up their neighborhoods and take their guns. Posse Comitatus is so 19th century.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Give the guy with the lawn furniture a $20, that will just about cover the damage for his stuff.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds as if they were planning to land, saw the incipient chaos, then thought better about landing. Probably the right call. Unfortunately, it's not the landing, but the takeoff that really makes a good gale! On the other hand, maybe if all your furniture wasn't made of plastic, it would have fared better!

"The aircraft hovered about 10 or 12 feet off the ground at Leathers Field 75 feet from his home and then departed"

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Great story.

"While hovering, the rotors create an intense rush of wind, which likely caused the damage..."

Ospreys don't need guns, they have wind.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Great story.

"While hovering, the rotors create an intense rush of wind, which likely caused the damage..."

Ospreys don't need guns, they have wind.

If only the enemy were as ardent fans of plastic lawn furniture as we are ;)

Reminds me of a time back in my highschool days when a F-15E from Seymour Johnson "accidentally" went supersonic over eastern NC. It was all over the local news for two days. I remember they interviewed several local idiots who were like "We thought it was the end of the world, " or " This is so reckless of the Air Force, we were terrified, " and "We thought it was a nucUlar bomb...it knocked my pictures off the wall and scared my dog."

It was truly awesome

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of a time back in my highschool days when a F-15E from Seymour Johnson "accidentally" went supersonic over eastern NC. It was all over the local news for two days. I remember they interviewed several local idiots who were like "We thought it was the end of the world, " or " This is so reckless of the Air Force, we were terrified, " and "We thought it was a nucUlar bomb...it knocked my pictures off the wall and scared my dog."

It was truly awesome

I get the feeling that you'll get the stupid yokel response anywhere you go. For being so ridiculously full of military members, "Down East" is one of the most military friendly places to be.

"Down East" is one of the most military friendly places to be.

Absolutely true, they'll just never interview all of the people who think jet noise is awesome. It doesn't stir enough controversy. I know some folks who would love to see that ever-elusive OLF in their backyard.