• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 May 18 Pilot/NFO Selection Board

Sparty1991

I work nights and have access to a gym while I work for about a half hour to an hour but I can really only get the miles in on a treadmill. Going to try and dedicate more home time to getting out on some runs but it can definitely be tough when you're juggling so much stuff in your life.

Fifrein

Still Learning
What are the longest runs you are doing?

Run longer to run faster. And when you run on those days you’re doing 6+ Miles run slow. I promise speed will come. I was once in your shoes.

Well tomorrow I’m gonna see how far I can go around a track over the course of an hour or two, but for now I’ve managed 1 mile or so on a treadmill. I know, it’s bad enough to laugh at. So I do laugh, move on, and try harder the next day. it’s better than I was doing last week.

Well tomorrow I’m gonna see how far I can go around a track over the course of an hour or two, but for now I’ve managed 1 mile or so on a treadmill. I know, it’s bad enough to laugh at. So I do laugh, move on, and try harder the next day. it’s better than I was doing last week.
No way my man no ones laughing, nothing to be ashamed of, your at least trying. Nothing but encouragement here. I agree that running longer periods of time will help your speed. I’ve noticed when I run the more long distance runs then go for the shorter runs(1.5 mi), the shorter runs just seems easier physically and mentally.

Sparty1991

No one's laughing man. Everyone has to start somewhere and as long as we all realize there is room for improvement it doesn't matter. If you have people that can run with you I'd highly recommend that. Working out with other people always pushes me to work harder.

Mike L.

Hal Higdon has free running plans online that range from beginners running their first 5K to advanced runners trying to shave minutes off their marathon time. My dad followed his plans and now he runs Iron Man triathlons and I follow his plans. I'd say it's worth a shot to look him up and see if you find anything that could help

Sparty1991

Hal Higdon has free running plans online that range from beginners running their first 5K to advanced runners trying to shave minutes off their marathon time. My dad followed his plans and now he runs Iron Man triathlons and I follow his plans. I'd say it's worth a shot to look him up and see if you find anything that could help
You think the 10k program would be one to look at? Or what are you using?

Mike L.

You think the 10k program would be one to look at? Or what are you using?
It honestly depends on where your running skill is at. I usually like to follow the 10 K program because part of being an infantryman is being able to run. However, if you are not good at running, I would start with the 5K and work your way up. I know time is an issue, but itll prevent you from doing too much too fast and possibly injuring yourself. I wouldn't do more than the 10K program for OCS Prep because your longest run in that program is longer than you will probably run at OCS, but I have never been so that could be wrong. However, to put it in perspective, at Infantry basic officers course, we never ran more than five miles.

aribjc

Well tomorrow I’m gonna see how far I can go around a track over the course of an hour or two, but for now I’ve managed 1 mile or so on a treadmill.

Ditch the treadmill and start running outside, that's going to make a huge difference. When you run on a treadmill you aren't getting a full workout because the ground is essentially coming to you, you aren't having to push yourself forward so you're doing less work. At the same time it actually feels like youre working harder for some reason. Go outside and run, it will feel easier and you'll still be running faster, plus it's not nearly as boring. I'd skip the track too unless your timing a PRT (that's just personal preference). Just go run around your city/neighborhood wherever you are!

Last edited:

MadHatter

pilot
Ditch the treadmill and start running outside, that's going to make a huge difference. When you run on a treadmill you aren't getting a full workout because the ground is essentially coming to you, you aren't having to push yourself forward so you're doing less work. At the same time it actually feels like your working harder for some reason. Go outside and run, it will feel easier and you'll still be running faster, plus it's not nearly as boring. I'd skip the track too unless your timing a PRT (that's just personal preference). Just go run around your city/neighborhood wherever you are!

It's hard to get a good estimate of what you pace is on a treadmill as well. You're on a set setting until you change it, compared to when you run outside and your body can just run at a faster pace unconsciously. You also do get the advantage of using hills to lower times. Oh and hills. Once you start getting running down incorporate at least one hill workout a week. It's one of the fastest ways to increase your VO2 max. Once youve done hill sprints for a couple of weeks youll feel like a gazelle on flat land.

Tikitykes

If you guys want to protect your legs, wear the insole gels that you can get at cvs or Walgreens like Dr. Scholls. I had shin splints in middle school and it forced me to quit practice when it got so bad. The gel protects your legs by reducing the pounding your feet take up on each step (and since we will be running on concrete for long periods of time, it’s a good investment.). Good luck to everyone!