• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2017 BAH Rates Out

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
It's called "save pay" or something like that and it's in the JTR. (Easy to google if you need to cite the reference.)

"Rate protection" is the term I believe you're looking for.

My question: how did NW FL's married rates go down (-160 at the O-3 level), but single rates go up? (I assume this had to happen some other places too).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yep. You won't see the "loss" until you move to a new location. As long as you're in Jax you'll be grandfathered into the higher rate.

On that note, if your rate went UP, will you stay grandfathered at the old BAH or collect the extra $$?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would have thought that cost of living in Corpus would have been relatively cheap, or at least on par with NUW.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
"Rate protection" is the term I believe you're looking for.

My question: how did NW FL's married rates go down (-160 at the O-3 level), but single rates go up? (I assume this had to happen some other places too).

It's been a while since I investigated IIRC it's based on the avg market rent of the dwelling size they deem is appropriate for your rank and dependent status.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Trying to figure out how Pax River BAH went down $99 for w/dep, but up $72 for w/o. Hurts my home-selling chances.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Trying to figure out how Pax River BAH went down $99 for w/dep, but up $72 for w/o. Hurts my home-selling chances.
Yeah, I have the same issue in Pensacola and what I was referencing earlier.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
A $100-200 change in BAH doesn't directly correlate into difficulty selling a home. The local market is going to determine what the price point is regardless of what BAH is. Don't limit yourself into thinking that only someone in the military can buy your home.

If market price for your home isn't something you think is to your liking you always have an option to rent it.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
A $100-200 change in BAH doesn't directly correlate into difficulty selling a home. The local market is going to determine what the price point is regardless of what BAH is. Don't limit yourself into thinking that only someone in the military can buy your home.

If market price for your home isn't something you think is to your liking you always have an option to rent it.

I meant to say I have the same issue with one rate going down and the others up. I am still very confident in the value of my home and the local market.