• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2011 BAH rates

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Damn, married BAH where I live around Pendleton went down almost $100. So, since I understood BAH to be reflective of average mortgages in a given area, would this be the result of the real estate market crash? I know socal got hit relatively hard in the last couple years.
Don't you get San Deigo BAH or are you just making a statement that those folks stationed at Camp Pendleton are getting less BAH next CY?

I'm getting a $222 raise in BAH for San Diego.

images

S/F

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Don't you get San Deigo BAH or are you just making a statement that those folks stationed at Camp Pendleton are getting less BAH next CY?

I'm getting a $222 raise in BAH for San Diego.

images

S/F

Hah, good point.....I should be making Miramar BAH.....went up $40 actually, that's like a free week of driving in gas!

MasterBates

Yeah. The married vs single BAH rate is such BS.

There should be a BAH rate. You live in town, you get X. You live on base, you don't.

Not a "you have a wife so you get Y when LT Divorced guy gets X"

MasterBates

Yep.. As far of years of service, on the bonus, where we are stationed, our pay should be damn near identical (until you become a paid member of the Shrub Club).

I'll put money on even with me having an $18k writeoff with alimony, I still pay more in taxes. Nevermind the extra couple grand you clear between Family Sep, Extra BAH and other stuff.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
You know what's bullshit? Married O-3 BAH increases by $69.

Raising kids is expensive, maybe the government is taking pity? I'm looking forward to seeing how my little tax deduction helped on taxes this year :)

7562Driver

pilot
"Nevermind the extra couple grand you clear between Family Sep, Extra BAH and other stuff."

I hate getting into these arguments because no one ever changes their opinion on what would be fair pay between married and single service members. I also understand from reading about the MasterBates book on marriage, you have a very unique perspective on this issue. However, I do have to call BS on the couple extra thousand married service members make.
That couple grand takes an entire year to accumulate from extra BAH. How about when single service members go on deployment and put their stuff in storage for 6 to 9 months and bank $2k a month. You have now made $12 to $18 tax free. So it takes 6 to 9 years before I'll finally catch up to your extra pay and that's only talking about 1 deployment, who does just one? I know there is nothing illegal about using Joe's Store-all, however the military offers to have TMO pack, store and deliver your goods back to you all free of charge. The rub is that single service members know this service exists but still choose to use Joe's Store-all for the specific purpose of banking the unspent BAH. I understand married service members do this too. I'm speaking about the preponderance of each group.
I won't even bring into the equation the money most single service members are banking all year long because they probably are splitting rent and not using anywhere near all their BAH to begin with. That usually gets countered with "you chose to get married and choose to live in your own home." I was even told I could get roommates and not use all my BAH but I choose to not have any. You can probably agree that those of us who are convinced our marriage will work forever would quickly find them failing if we had roommates living under the same roof as our wife and kids.
I will now get off my soap box and go back to doing what I do best on here....lurking.

MasterBates

7562 Driver,

I have to pay my mortgage, property taxes, etc when I am gone, plus a small baseline utility bill (normally the minimum, but still).

What other job pays you more for being married? Name it.

The Military is discriminating against single servicemembers by giving us shittier housing if forced to live on base, and paying us far less if we live in town.

This is not even getting into the tax implications.

You choose to be married. I now choose not to be. Why does my lifestyle choice effect my income? It shouldn't.

7562Driver

pilot
MasterBates,

I'll admit you are the exception to the rule. I'll also admit that the rule does suck and makes no sense. There shouldn't be a marriage incentive for officers or elinsted. Without the marriage incentive the divorce rate would most likely be much lower in the military.
I was speaking to the majority of single service members who don't own a home and a complain about the unfair pay structure. It's usually the same single service members who have to choose between driving the Lexus or Harley to work on Monday after they spent the weekend on their speed boat or jet skiing. Sorry, I'm not going to feel sorry for that person especially when they start bragging on deployment about the thousands they are banking each month and the toys they are going to buy when we get home.
Yes, I know it all boils down to choices. And I'm not completely clear on whether your current house is one you owned prior to the divorce or bought after the divorce but you have chosen to stay in the house. You could always choose to sell it, get a couple of roommates and bank/invest your "extra" BAH.
As far as tax implications for being married and the bonus I get. The $1000 for my kid is nothing compared to the money I don't have to pay on my income for being deployed and will be far outweighed by the tax break I'll get for my mortgage.