• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2011 BAH rates

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I stand corrected... got a message from ChunksJR saying you won't lose any benjamins.... still sucks not getting an incease (a bitchin sailor is a happy sailor, right, RIGHT?):

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqbah.cfm#Q3

3. I looked up the current year BAH amount for my grade and ZIP Code and it's less than I was getting last year. Am I going to lose money?
No. BAH rate protection keeps an individual from having a reduction in BAH as long as the individual maintains "uninterrupted eligibility" [see below] for BAH. This means an individual is authorized the 1 January rate for the individual's grade and location or the housing allowance being paid on 31 December of the previous year, whichever is larger.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Now, since I will be pinning on in Sept, so I, unfortunately, WILL make $50 less than you do for BAH. :)

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Anchorage went up $50! Which i believe is more than our base pay raise...

Now if we could get a COLA bump...

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
So if i've been living in Norfolk since March and I promoted two weeks ago (haven't pinned on yet) do I get the higher or the lower rate? It's going down significantly ($126!!!) for O-2 with dependents.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
If you haven't pinned on yet you are not getting paid as an O-2 yet, so my bet would be you get the lower rate. Don't spend the raise before you get it.

BTW, when I was in the O-1 to O-3 rapid and steep pay curve time, I would add at least half of every pay raise to savings and investments, as it was an easy way to significantly increase the percentage of my income I was saving and investing without seeing the additional outlay from my pay. Since I didn't have that money before, I wasn't missing it later.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
desertoasis said:
So if i've been living in Norfolk since March and I promoted two weeks ago (haven't pinned on yet) do I get the higher or the lower rate? It's going down significantly ($126!!!) for O-2 with dependents.

Go to post #2 above if you'd like the answer. I'm too lazy to retype it.

swaco said:
BTW, when I was in the O-1 to O-3 rapid and steep pay curve time, I would add at least half of every pay raise to savings and investments, as it was an easy way to significantly increase the percentage of my income I was saving and investing without seeing the additional outlay from my pay. Since I didn't have that money before, I wasn't missing it later.

images

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I stand corrected... got a message from ChunksJR saying you won't lose any benjamins.... still sucks not getting an incease (a bitchin sailor is a happy sailor, right, RIGHT?):

Not if you're a reservist on active duty who has new orders that start 1 JAN...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Damn, married BAH where I live around Pendleton went down almost $100. So, since I understood BAH to be reflective of average mortgages in a given area, would this be the result of the real estate market crash? I know socal got hit relatively hard in the last couple years.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn, married BAH where I live around Pendleton went down almost $100. So, since I understood BAH to be reflective of average mortgages in a given area, would this be the result of the real estate market crash? I know socal got hit relatively hard in the last couple years.
IIRC, BAH is pegged to the rental market.