• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2011 August, September, October, etc. OCS Boards

Lucy

No problems. At least in the manual there isn't an answer about tabling so not sure you will find one. However, there is a part that specifies that all applications that pass basic review for completeness/meet desginator mins. will be seen at the board submitted for. So with that I came to that conclusion based on watching the boards, and those who have been tabled, for a little more than a year now, and from speaking with a couple different officers who have sat/recorded at boards. I will try to find the specific reference in the manual about the boards, but am super busy until Fri morn (finals kicking my butt) but it should be in chapter 4 of the manual if anyone else wants to look.

*Note- that is all based on current published/past precedence stuff, so I am not saying a limit can't be imposed, just that it is not normal and hasn't seemed to have happened in the last 1+ year

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Ohay, it's a Lucy. Longtime no see, eh? Did you get your GPA up?

On my side, even since my last post, picked up an O-5 INTEL interview and my Maymester graduate course in National Security was an A. I also made the Dean's List. Not too shabby for having a few years between undergrad and grad.

I've only put SWO and INTEL. I'm not qualified for Aviation anymore, or I would. I'm hoping for a change back that would make me eligible again, but doubt that is going to happen. As for other communities? I don't feel like I want to do the other jobs, so I do not have them down.

Lucy

Hey seafort. Btw, owe you a big thanks for those SWO connections you helped with. Got my own little contact group slowly building. :)

Yep, GPA went up some, and should be graduating with honors on Sunday. :-D

Ccongrats on the grad program and interview!

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
Seriously?! Is this for real? Do you want to be a pilot or don't you? If you do put it down. If not, then don't apply. But you're not going to game the system. And why would you put SWO in there at all if you want aviation, except as a back up?

I have a history degree, I didn't apply to be a Naval Historian. You're degree doesn't mean jack shit unless you have a technical degree and even then you have to carry a decent GPA. If you want to sell yourself short fine, but in the end if you wanted to be a pilot and didnt ask for it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

A bit harsh... My #1 goal is to be a Naval Officer - Pilot and NFO just happen to be my first choices as a Naval Officer. But I would also love to be an SWO or Supply Officer.

I posted that pre-ASTB, before I was confident I could get a spot as a pilot or NFO. Now I'm more confident and am applying for both. I still don't think my logic was flawed in that post though; if my #1 goal is to be an officer in the USN, there's nothing wrong in my opinion with applying for a position because I think I'll get it.. even if it is as a back-up to my top choice(s).

As for Economics being non-technical, I have a BS in Economics, not a BA. All of the 300 and 400 level Econ classes I took were calculus based, unlike most BA Econ tracks. Many people don't realize that though, and that's fine. I'm also not saying that it should be considered the same as an engineering or physics degree. I don't think my major and GPA will get me a spot, but it shouldn't hurt either...

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
A bit harsh... My #1 goal is to be a Naval Officer - Pilot and NFO just happen to be my first choices as a Naval Officer. But I would also love to be an SWO or Supply Officer.

I posted that pre-ASTB, before I was confident I could get a spot as a pilot or NFO. Now I'm more confident and am applying for both. I still don't think my logic was flawed in that post though; if my #1 goal is to be an officer in the USN, there's nothing wrong in my opinion with applying for a position because I think I'll get it.. even if it is as a back-up to my top choice(s).

As for Economics being non-technical, I have a BS in Economics, not a BA. All of the 300 and 400 level Econ classes I took were calculus based, unlike most BA Econ tracks. Many people don't realize that though, and that's fine. I'm also not saying that it should be considered the same as an engineering or physics degree. I don't think my major and GPA will get me a spot, but it shouldn't hurt either...

I think the idea here is to be patient. Confidence is good but no matter how good you think you are it doesn't matter what you think, so don't put all your eggs in one basket STS. Don't assume that the next board is now or never.. I'm assuming you're younger and not hitting any age limit... So be patient. Try for what you really want first and if it just isn't working out, try for what you really want second.. I mean it's nice to have a lot of pride to be a Naval Officer first but that will quickly fade if you find yourself wondering what would of happened if you just waited to see for round two. Honestly, I'm waiting on my second go for pilot.. It's been a year since my last shot at the boards. You think I'm not aching to get in? Also, remember not everyone gets it on their 1st try. In fact many people get it on their 2nd or 3rd try.. If you want it bad enough you just have to play the game.

It's your life man for the 4, 6, 8, 10 or 20 years you sign up.. Although the Navy's needs come first you still have some say in your life about it and shouldn't rush just to get in the Navy. The Navy isn't going anywhere (hopefully) ;)

GreenLantern330

Amen to that! I'm an econ major too, well it's applied econ - so more math based than theoretical - but I think the only people that realize how difficult econ is, is other social science majors. It's the hardest of the social sciences. It'll definitely help you for supply. It won't work against you for other stuff, but it won't be an amazing feat either.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Today was the first day I had heard directly from my NRD that there would be a board in August and that they will get me in there. I'm so stoked to get my application seen again. Really hard to imagine I have been involved in this process for about a year now.

Interesting info on that new ASTB. I wonder how many NRDs have it/have started implementing it. Anyone know how long it takes to phase in a new test like that?

Just curious in case some of us are non-selects again. Does our previous lifetime score still stand or would we have to take a new version? I like my current score!

GreenLantern330

Also, something I just remembered my OR said... He said I can apply for the August boards, but since I'm more than 6 months to graduation (I graduate April 2012), that I would be applying for BDCP. I thought BDCP was done with.. can anyone shed light on this?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
A bit harsh...
Deal with it. You're going to need thick skin in this business.

What I said was the truth dude, you're logic was flawed. If you want to be a pilot thats what you should apply for, and thats what I was saying. Eaglei22 is on his second try, I know guys who tried 3 or 4 times. I tried to get into the Naval Academy until I was too old and then went through ROTC. My point was don't be the guy who settles, or thinks he can't get it. Be the guy who is bold. I don't want to fly with pansies that sulk and think they should shoot for their second choice. Good for you, you got your confidence, try and keep it. A trend of lack of confidence will show up real quick when you jump in that T-34 or T-6 for the first few flights.

I don't care how much calculus you took in college. The ONLY reason a technical degree gives you a leg up is because BIG NAVY says they want tech majors. So if your BS in Econ is considered a tech major then maybe you get a little boost when your package goes before the board. My point was applying for something thinking that your econ degree will be applicable is ridiculous. Apply for something because thats what you want to do. If you want to do supply, then awesome. But don't do it because you studied economics.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
It's the hardest of the social sciences.

I'll give you that it's the most math intensive, MAYBE even the most 'scientific' and easiest to develop mathematical models for, but hardest of the social sciences... I won't concede that. Trying to determine something like that would be like trying to figure out what is more difficult Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Math, or Chemistry. All similar and all difficult in their own unique ways.

Lucy

Gl- Tech BDCP is still a program option, but was jsut projected to be full until FY13, which realistically could result from August boards. However, the 6 month seems off. You can apply for DA 12 months out last I checked although it could have changed with the May update. Can't check till tomorrow evening but the link I posted to the manual should take you close to the right section.

GreenLantern330

I'll give you that it's the most math intensive, MAYBE even the most 'scientific' and easiest to develop mathematical models for, but hardest of the social sciences... I won't concede that. Trying to determine something like that would be like trying to figure out what is more difficult Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Math, or Chemistry. All similar and all difficult in their own unique ways.

I agree with what you're saying. Just reiterating what the College of Social Sciences at my school likes to tell its students.

GreenLantern330

Gl- Tech BDCP is still a program option, but was jsut projected to be full until FY13, which realistically could result from August boards. However, the 6 month seems off. You can apply for DA 12 months out last I checked although it could have changed with the May update. Can't check till tomorrow evening but the link I posted to the manual should take you close to the right section.

Where did you post the manual? I can't find it.