• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2010 Service Assignments

Kirtley

MIDN 1/C
I'm going to be a FY11 graduate--and I've been trying to get all the information I can regarding the current status of the aviation pipeline. It looks like the pipeline is squeezing all the SNAs out that they can. I understand this is all part of freeing up the logjam that is Pcola right now, but what does this mean for those of us commissioning next May? If they're trying to cut the amount of SNAs going through then one of the most effective ways to do so is not commission as many SNAs right off the bat. I've seen how selective boards have been in the past, but are there any ideas exactly how selective the boards are going to be this year?

A lot of this has to do with the fact that I'm essentially powerless to do anything regarding my package at this point--I've already taken the ASTB, this past semester was the last one to be counted into your GPA for service assignments, and fitreps are already done. That said, can anyone offer any information for the other ROTC 1/C in the same situation? Thanks!

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Just from what I saw from last year, when Pensacola was still logjammed, all the mids at my unit that put down SNA as their first choice, got SNA as their designator. All the May 2010 grads are now waiting until September at the earliest to go to Pensacola. That being said, your performance to date will probably be the biggest factor in determening what you get.

STARFlight145

In the same exact boat as you Kirtley, and very interested and worried about the situation in Pcola as well. We'll see what happens.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
thats three of us waiting anxiously. did you ever find out about your cruise starflight?

STARFlight145

I did, at last. HSL-43 "Battlecats" out of NASNI. paid vacation flying 60B's out of Coronado for a month, very much looking forward to it. you're going to the "Providers", correct? had a buddy go to them a couple yrs back, he had a blast.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
yeah, just a few more weeks now...a couple of my buds went last year to NASNI and had a blast, cant wait.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
At the end of the day if you have held your end of the bargain up and excelled in academics, PT, and the standardized tests (ASTB) you will get what you want. Those who are worried about their selection in a few months probably should have worked harder in some of the areas mentioned above. Once the divide the duty preferences up by first choice something like the top 25% of each pile gets their first choice.

murphyj4

That is not necessarily the case. Just because you have stellar grades and PT scores does not mean that you will get your first choice. I know from experience because I had very close to a 4.0 at a good school with PT scores around 290 and did not make that 25% cut. It also now matters what tier your major was and a 4.0 Arts and Science is not as good as a 2.9 mech e. I would talk to your CO and try to get some networking done if you are really dead set on aviation and think that you may be on the line.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
for you upcoming seniors, have you guys heard anything about when we're supposed to find out about service assignments? all my unit staff has told me is that we will find out before the class of 2010 found out last year. apparently their packages were submitted in late august and found out in the 1st or 2nd week of october. here are my stats just for s&g's: 3.8 gpa, OTL PRT, 7-7-7 on the ASTB. good luck to everyone else, playing the waiting game sucks doesnt it?

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I don't think this is the case. I saw the time line put out by Pensacola. The board isn't convening until the beginning/middle of October. Results are scheduled to be released around October 29. I am shocked we are set to find out later than last year, but had our packages completed a month sooner. This is all first hand knowledge so unless it is normal for them not to follow the schedule this is fact.

punx_clever

The biggest things you have going for you (from my experience) are these:
GPA (above 3.0 is a damn good starting point)
PT scores (be in the outstanding category)
A good standing with your CO.

Beyond that, make sure you are prepared for a different career than aviation. I was lucky enough that the needs of the navy met up with my desires. I had two of the above (2.8 in MechE), and managed to find my way down to p-cola. My GPA scared me, so I was prepared to go SWO through JG and try for a transfer to Seebee's. Yes, your major matters. But, on the other hand, every major you could imagine is represented down here at API. They want to make sure you can learn, and learn fast.

I found out my selection on 16OCT10. +- a couple weeks won't kill you.

I saw the Providers mentioned up above... from what I hear the former XO is the CO, and he's a good guy. We got lots of time on the plane and quite a few traps. Everyone on that "cruise" got stick time in the C-2 (it flies like a bus). Hell, I even got to meet John Glen while I was with them.

sweetnuts

I don't think this is the case. I saw the time line put out by Pensacola. The board isn't convening until the beginning/middle of October. Results are scheduled to be released around October 29. I am shocked we are set to find out later than last year, but had our packages completed a month sooner. This is all first hand knowledge so unless it is normal for them not to follow the schedule this is fact.

Lucky3,

The timeline you saw, was it the annual NSTC notice regarding service selection for FY-11? I haven't seen anything in writing, only speculation by our staff saying that they think we will find out sometime towards the end of september.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I am not sure. My adviser showed me the schedule when I went to the unit to sign my package. When I asked when he thought we would get the results he pulled out the schedule I told you guys about. It included the milestone dates like when to have the electronic copies done and when to have the hard copies done. I have to think this was the right schedule.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Although Pcola is backed up with SNAs right now, they still have to make more SNAs in the future. They can't just cut off the pipeline altogether. SNA billets are projected for the entire career of the SNA, with factors added in for historical losses such as attrition, retirement, or one term guys. Each year group has to produce some SNAs in order to meet projected manning requirements for DH/XO/CO years into the future.

I believe that the current inflation of the SNA pool is due to FY08/09. This could mean that Pcola is looking to attrite guys from those year groups, not necessarily FY11, however, I can't cite specific data on that fact. The fact is, if your package is in the mail, then there is nothing more you can do about it, no matter how many pilots the Navy makes. If you are one of those guys who hopes the Navy needs 10,000 pilots next year just to make your package competitive, better start rethinking your career plans now.

Good luck to all...