• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

20+usna=24?

DON

I've heard the rumor, but never seen anything in writing. Once you hit 20 years of active service does your time at the Academy count torwards retirement? If so, where is this document located?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
O'Brian is correct. That rumor is absolutely false. If you need proof of that you can find it in U.S.C. Title 10.

MasterBates

Since I was never in that boat (school), I never cared.

But every Canoe U grad I know (01-04 grads mostly) says they get 24 at 20.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Yeah most of the academy guys around me believe it to be true. Perhaps snopes.com needs to pick this one up

MasterBates

This just warms my heart.. Knowing that all my buds who went to CanoeU will be getting a suprise in 14 years. :icon_smil

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard the rumor, but never seen anything in writing. Once you hit 20 years of active service does your time at the Academy count torwards retirement? If so, where is this document located?

The ghost locker, I presume.

After giving my 30-3 USNA grads to "us 3 others" in our class unmerciful, unrelenting and withering grief with my "over 2 for pay purposes" throughout flight school as a former AVROC, I'm sure they (USNA grads) would have been 'severly' retaliating against me after 20 years if they had ever caught up.

But no, not a peep. But they're still pi**ed. :)

[Of course they forget I actually paid big $$$$$ for my education, with my multiple part time jobs and student loans paid over many years while on active duty - (even walked barefoot to school too) ......and yeah, I know, the quarter-at-a-time USNA argument - heard it for years. :sleep_125 ]

And regardless of your bio, school, or finances, he who wears the hat buys the bar, among the many much more serious, tried and true axioms that permeate our serious and select 'business'.

Bottom line: Regardless of source, it's your SERVICE and PERFORMANCE - as long or as short as it may be, for your COUNTRY and your MATES that is important, and not some cheap "retirement" benie.

That's how I remember it. I doubt things have changed much since.