• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

20/40 and Eye-Strengthening?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Hello all,

I am about to head to MEPS this following Monday. My current vision is 20/30 (20/30 in left eye, 20/40 in right. Both correctable to 20/20) I had a pre-op eye exam for this, and ended up scrapping the surgery. I have a few questions:

1. Should I count on my vision staying at 20/30? I almost had PRK a few weeks ago, but backed down when I thought I might not need it for such a small correction. However, the last thing I would want to do is get all the way to OCS and get NPQ'd for a different result than what MEPS received.

2. Are eye-strengthening exercises worth it, and do they really produce good results? I've had this bookmarked on AW, and wanted to know what you all thought: http://www.airwarriors.com/communit...ision-therapy-eye-exercises.33396/#post611824 This seems to give me hope, as I would have plenty of time to strengthen my eyes prior to shipping out to OCS.

3. If I were to pass on PRK, could I get it at some point whilst in Pilot Training? Or would that be impossible due to the 6 month down time?

Basically, I'm conflicted between going to MEPS without surgery, passing, and then possibly getting Whammied at OCS, vs. a possibly unnecessary surgery.

Thoughts?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
When I was 'shopping' for laser eye surgery, every single one of them put their results in terms of % of patients achieving 20/40 or better. I'd be surprised if you can find a doc who would even do the surgery since you don't even really need glasses at 20/30-20/40.