• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2 YEARS OF P-3 FUN...

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Well, let's improve the situation by returning to a roots.

Would someone with MPRA background tell me whether there been a cases when a Tailhook pointy nose pilots (naval aviators, not NFOs who I suppose have generally more freedom to change the community ) with carrier landings somehow found themselves within VP squadrons to fly Orions? How did they feel? Was it relaxing experience or, given "SWO of NavAir", the hard times for them?

BigRed389

None

Would someone with MPRA background tell me whether there been a cases when a Tailhook pointy nose pilots (naval aviators, not NFOs who I suppose have generally more freedom to change the community ) with carrier landings somehow found themselves within VP squadrons to fly Orions? How did they feel? Was it relaxing experience or, given "SWO of NavAir", the hard times for them?
I worked as an LNO to a staff with a Hornet guy who apparently had to convert to VP for medical reasons. He bitched endlessly about VP. The only thing he hated on more was SWO.

Max the Mad Russian

He bitched endlessly about VP
Thanks. But he didn't have personal experience then, probably. When one's afraid, this is usually based on someone else's opinion. What's wrong with such transfer? Long concrete runaways, well established NASs, no needs to be deployed on an iron box and land on its dumb end, essentially civilian airplane with good accomodation, etc. Was SWO-like relationships the only reason for bitching in his opinion?

Pags

Pope of Chili Town
pilot

I worked with an VS pilot who went VP when the S-3 went away. He seemed to have assimilated just fine; he was deeply concerned about things like IFR flight plans on VFR days, zipper height, and the general slovenly nature of help pilots.

Max the Mad Russian

It's like a gulag with the added risk of drowning.

Ah. Got it. This is Russian Navy guided missile cruiser. Floating prison.

I worked with an VS pilot who went VP when the S-3 went away. He seemed to have assimilated just fine; he was deeply concerned about things like IFR flight plans on VFR days, zipper height, and the general slovenly nature of help pilots.
Thanks. Same NFO-dominated community. Taught its pilots to be polite:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I worked as an LNO to a staff with a Hornet guy who apparently had to convert to VP for medical reasons. He bitched endlessly about VP. The only thing he hated on more was SWO.
We had quite a few tailhook types in my first squadron, mainly former A-6 and ES-3/EA-3 types but one F-14 as well, flying EP-3's. The A-6 and ES-3 communities went away so they had to find a home, the F-14 guy was there for medical reasons. At the time VQ wasn't as uptight as VP and was very accommodating aviators who transitioned from other communities, with plenty who later made CO.

As for how they liked it, none of them were all that happy about the flying itself (pretty boring) but were happy with the hours (A LOT) and the lack of adult supervision when deployed (no CO, XO and rarely DH's).

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
We had quite a few tailhook types in my first squadron, mainly former A-6 and ES-3/EA-3 types but one F-14 as well, flying EP-3's. The A-6 and ES-3 communities went away so they had to find a home, the F-14 guy was there for medical reasons. At the time VQ wasn't as uptight as VP and was very accommodating aviators who transitioned from other communities, with plenty who later made CO.

As for how they liked it, none of them were all that happy about the flying itself (pretty boring) but were happy with the hours (A LOT) and the lack of adult supervision when deployed (no CO, XO and rarely DH's).
I think I know the F-14 dude and it wasn’t medical reason! He’s a good guy nonetheless..

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In my first VP squadron, we had a former A-7 driver who they found out was partially color blind after a few near ramp strikes in his first cruise. They decided it was safer for all for him to fly only in multi-piloted aircraft. He was actually a pretty good stick when not having to fly the ball...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think I know the F-14 dude and it wasn’t medical reason! He’s a good guy nonetheless..
The one I know was definitely medical, it took him ~2-3 years to get cleared to just fly at all after getting downed and shortly after showing up he was promoted to O-4. I know of one other that had been in the F-14 RAG but didn't finish, he did like to let folks know he flew Tomcats though....

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The one I know was definitely medical, it took him ~2-3 years to get cleared to just fly at all after getting downed and shortly after showing up he was promoted to O-4. I know of one other that had been in the F-14 RAG but didn't finish, he did like to let folks know he flew Tomcats though....
I’m talking about the second dude..