• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2 year scholarship question

markkyle66

Do most people who apply for this scholarship get it? I spoke with the Det at my school and they said you need above 3.0 gpa, letters of rec, completed phsy I and II, cal I and II, and have decent SAT scores. (which worries me since those classes may bring down my gpa) I'm just curious since I can join my AFROTC unit without jumping all of the hoops, however the lore of naval aviation is what has my attention. Would I be competative for the 2 year scholarship? I have a 3.45 gpa currently and I'm a non-tech major. However I have letters of recommendation from several navy captains... including the record holder for carrier traps. As far as leadership goes I was an accomplished athelete in football from my highschool days and was involved in my community. I just don't want to put all of my eggs in the NROTC basket since if I dont get this scholarship I'll have to try for OCS or OTS which is even more selective. Or I could get into AFROTC and work my way towards a scholarship and a pilot slot if I'm lucky starting next semester. Any feedback is much appreciated! Thanks guys - Mark

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Apply for the 2yr- what do you have to lose? Have you talked to the unit about them taking you as an advanced standing student?

Also, you could apply for BDCP, or the Marine Corps PLC program.

Be warned... AFROTC pilot slots are rare.

markkyle66

Apply for the 2yr- what do you have to lose? Have you talked to the unit about them taking you as an advanced standing student?

Also, you could apply for BDCP, or the Marine Corps PLC program.

Be warned... AFROTC pilot slots are rare.

I'm not sure what you mean by advanced standing :confused:, but no I haven't talked to them about that. I plan on doing the early decision deal to up my chances of getting picked up for the scholarship if thats what you mean. As far as PLC, could I enter the unit for the 2yr program under the PLC program instead of the nrotc 2yr scholarship? I'm open to all options honestly. Thanks for the reply!

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Have to have completed the Calc requirement by end of soph. year and Physics by end of junior year. Neither are required if you apply for the scholarship as a Marine option (not the same as PLC).

Applying for Advanced Standing (NROTC College Program) means that you would be completing the program without being on scholarship. From the NROTC website:

NROTC COLLEGE PROGRAM
• Two- or Four-year programs
• Applicants selected from students already attending or accepted by colleges with NROTC programs
• Pays for uniforms and instructional fees for naval science courses
• College Program students selected for "advanced standing" receive a stipend for maximum of 20 months. Advance standing is only available starting the junior year of college. Stipend per academic month is $350 junior year and $400 senior year.
• Students will complete naval science and other university courses, a few specific university courses, and attend one summer training session
o Normally at sea for Navy officers
o Normally at Quantico, VA for Marine Corps-option midshipmen
• Four-year applicants apply through professors of naval science upon commencement of freshman year
• Two-year applicants apply before spring of sophomore year
• When accepted, two-year applicants will attend six-and-a-half week Naval Science Institute program in Newport, RI during summer between sophomore and junior years
o On graduation, two- and four-year College Program midshipmen may be commissioned ensigns in the Naval Reserve or second lieutenants in the Marine Corps Reserves
o Obligation of eight years commissioned service, at least three of which must be active duty

Only difference is all officers are commissioned as Regular Navy officers now not as Reserve officers as stated.

markkyle66

Have to have completed the Calc requirement by end of soph. year and Physics by end of junior year. Neither are required if you apply for the scholarship as a Marine option (not the same as PLC).

Applying for Advanced Standing (NROTC College Program) means that you would be completing the program without being on scholarship.
quote]

Thanks :) So if I apply for Advanced Standing I can enter the 2 year program without any scholarship? The officer I spoke with made it sound as if I had to get the 2yr scholarship to enter the NRTOC program period. Do I have to meet certain academic criteria to apply for Advanced Standing? And lastly, if I qualify for advanced standing would I have a harder time getting pilot or nfo versus other midshipmen on scholarships? Thanks for being patient with me guys! I appreciate your help.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
From the people i've talked to that are currently in NROTC they will want you to have some kind of contract and you have to get approved if your doing the advanced standing to continue to the next level in NROTC which I think is your senior year. I think thats what he said but correct me someone if its wrong.

Goober

None
Yes. If you're at UF, you'll want to get in touch with the Freshman advisor (he usually also acts as the unit's recruiting officer). You can apply for CP status and not have to take calc/physics, but again it's on your dime. CP is pretty competitive once it comes time for moving into Advanced Standing status (junior/senior years), and fewer folks get it these days as in years past (I was a CP'er). The scholarship is not a requirement, but understand that most mids are scholarship-types these days. You're gonna need a pretty strong record to be a walk-in off the street and want to get picked up to go to Newport for 6 weeks and then come back. Don't get me wrong - it happens, but it's easier to start as a CP-type in your freshman/soph year and compete nationally for an adv standing spot to continue than to try for 2 yrs only.

markkyle66

Yes. If you're at UF, you'll want to get in touch with the Freshman advisor (he usually also acts as the unit's recruiting officer). You can apply for CP status and not have to take calc/physics, but again it's on your dime. CP is pretty competitive once it comes time for moving into Advanced Standing status (junior/senior years), and fewer folks get it these days as in years past (I was a CP'er). The scholarship is not a requirement, but understand that most mids are scholarship-types these days. You're gonna need a pretty strong record to be a walk-in off the street and want to get picked up to go to Newport for 6 weeks and then come back. Don't get me wrong - it happens, but it's easier to start as a CP-type in your freshman/soph year and compete nationally for an adv standing spot to continue than to try for 2 yrs only.

Thanks!
Actually I'm a sophmore now at a community college down the road from UF. I can't join NROTC until I'm a full time UF student unfortunately, so I'm just considering my options till I can transfer.

markkyle66

From the people i've talked to that are currently in NROTC they will want you to have some kind of contract and you have to get approved if your doing the advanced standing to continue to the next level in NROTC which I think is your senior year. I think thats what he said but correct me someone if its wrong.

CP status probably wouldn't work for me since I'm a sophmore at a community college about to transfer into UF. UF's nrotc program requires that you be a full time student of that school for admission unfortunately. About what akdorsey said, what kind of contract would I have to get approved for advanced standing? It's a nonissue for me since I've commited myself to doing this. Basically what would be my best bet as far as entering the program starting the fall of my Junior year?

Goober

None
Wrong, or someone's outright lying to you. If you're local, then UF should have a crosstown agreement with the local community college. If this isn't the case, then they're just a bunch of fascists. The unit at Jacksonville Univ has a crosstown with UNF and FCCJ, just as FAMU's unit has a crosstown agreement w/ FSU and TCC. If you're dead set on UF, you can still apply for 2-yr CP through them. If you're willing to make the drive, you "could" CP with JU's unit (we had a nurse option schol mid who attended classes at UF and drove up to JU for ROTC as needed). Ultimately the Navy doesn't care where you fulfill the requirements as long as you do. Talk to the recruiting officer there at the UF unit and tell him what you're looking to do (2-yr CP with NSI in Newport the summer before your junior year). He might look at you funny since most don't go that route, but it is a legit option. If you don't get the answer you're looking for, call the JU unit. Somebody knows how to do this - you're not the first.

markkyle66

I appreciate you going out of your way to help me! After more some correspondance with NROTC at UF I'm still being told I need to be a fulltime student and that they don't have a cross-town program. I'm waiting to hear back from the Officer in charge of unit admissions ( I ran your suggestions by him and haven't heard back yet ) Hopefully it'll work out though. If all else fails I supposed I could see about CP'ing at JU. I'm just rushing to get it all sorted out before any deadlines pass.