• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherokeexj94

1) Can anyone tell me if there are questions pertaining to the "rules of the road" on the nautical section? 2) can someone explain #33 in the Mech section of the gouge why 'A' would need more force to raise the weight

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
krashnbrn said:
1) Can anyone tell me if there are questions pertaining to the "rules of the road" on the nautical section? 2) can someone explain #33 in the Mech section of the gouge why 'A' would need more force to raise the weight

Form #1 to the best of my recollection didn't have any "rules of the road" questions, but it did have some common sense boating questions. Like the example in the gouge, "What is the best place to step into a rowboat from the dock?" The bottom center.

jburnes

krashnbrn,

on #33 of the mechanical section you have a picture of 2 pulleys...one is attached to the roof with the rope going around it (A) and the other has the rope attached to the roof with the pulley hanging in the air (B)

(A) is correct because you have to look at it as a Work problem.

Work = Force x Distance

in (A) you have to pull the rope down a distance of D to get the weight to move up a distance of D

so our equation looks like W = F x D

but in (B) you have to pull the rope up a distance of 2D to get the weight to move up a distance of D, because the rope goes down around the free hanging pulley and then back up...anytime there is a situation in which a pulley is moving (and not anchored as in (A)) you get a mechanical advantage

in this situation our equation looks like

W = F/2 x 2D (twice the length of rope pulled, but at half the force)

both situations require the same amount of work, but use two different ways in which to accomplish that work

hope this helps...

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
On a similar line of questioning, on the gouge section there is a question regarding space launch vehicles, and their nationality. To my knowledge all the vehicles are or were used by the US. The answer says "Delta." However Boeing being a US company, I would think that the Delta Rocket would be a US programmed launch vehicle. This is question 51 of the last section.

Challeger and Columbia are Shuttles.
Redstone Titan and Atlas are Mercury, Gemini and Apollo launch vehicles respectively.
Delta is a commercial US launch vehicle with a good record, competing against the French built, Ariane.

jburnes

did someone delete a post?

maybe i missed it, but where was the question and how is it similar to nautical info or mechanics?

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
It is in the same gouge pdf. Last section, same area as it asks for the names of various aircraft, who Gagarin was, what color are taxi lights, and how are runways are numbered. I know the answer to the rest of the gauge questions and why, however this one on launch vehicles is confusing. I posted here as it is a similar request for clarification.

zuggerat

Rules of the road for ships is if two motorized boats are passing head-on then it's 1 horn sounding if you're passing port to port, 2 if you're passing starboard to starboard. If one motorized boat is over taking another motorized boat then it's 2 horn soundings if you're overtaking on the port side and 1 if you're overtaking on the starboard side. If two motorized boats are approaching each other at 90 degree angles then the boat to the right has the right of way. If a motorized boat encounters a non-motorized boat, then the motorized boat must give way to the unpowered boat.

AND THATS IT!!!

jburnes

ironfeliks23,

oh ok...it sounded in your first post like you answered your own question...as for why the answer is delta....you got me...

CLAM97to99

I remember on form two there was a rules of the road question. I believe it had to do with passing a slower moving ship. And form 1 had a question about stepping into a boat I believe.

cherokeexj94

CLAM, all i would need to know to answer that question on form 2 about passing a slower moving ship, is the paragraph above that zuggerat outlined about "rules of the road"?

zuggerat

to answer irons question, i think the answer lies in the fact that the others are vehicles, by that i mean they ferry their cargo within them, where as the delta, i believe, is a solid rocket boster of some sort. if u were to ride that i think you'd get severely injured. i think thats their line of thought, lemme know im curious too

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
Well Zugg, it still seems confusing to me. The delta is just a lauch vehicle like the rest. It is a complete unit used commercially to lauch telecom and weather as well as contracted to lauch GPS and other military sats. In relation Redstone was a converted ICBM as was Titan iirc. The only two manned vehicles are the two shuttles. The other 4 in the question are the rockets themselves. As to riding a Delta, if they strapped CMDR (ret. RADM?) Shepard to a converted ICBM, I would think the Delta would be a cakewalk. But that is neither here nor there. I dont want to praddle about one small question, however it is the only question on the practice test that I dont understand, being that I take the test in less then 24hours, I want to be as prepared as possible.

zuggerat

just put delta on the test, thats what i did and my scores turned out pretty good. i wouldnt worry about it, just dont second guess urself. if you read the question slowly and make a choice, stick with it. if you have any other questions lemme know

zuggerat

PS if you take form 1 which u most likely will if its the first time you take it the delta questions on there

Status
Not open for further replies.