• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2 months until wings

Kiljoy

Interesting day digging around the squadron got a chance to talk to some lcdrs and a sergrad about to go to the FRS ..... the thing i got from the lcdrs was dont do it, its run by nfo's with the caviat that growlers might change that some what. The sergrad said two things that caught my attention

1) it was a more relaxed enviroment, for example he sat threw a legacy hornet debrief which went 2 hrs that was very intense versus a prowler brief and debried which comparativly was relaxed

2) he said that he had had gouge passed on to him that low levels were a big part of the flying prowlers did and that was what he enjoyed most in advanced

I still have a few stages to go one being ACM so maybe I will have a better idea of what to do after all is said and done.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Charlies
Supers
Growlers
Prowlers
If you go Prowlers, you are going to have to play catch up when you switch to Growlers. You are actually going to be more than a bus driver in the Growler. VFA gives you more places to be stationed at.....not just Whidbey. Charlies first because you are guaranteed single-seat.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Interesting day digging around the squadron got a chance to talk to some lcdrs and a sergrad about to go to the FRS ..... the thing i got from the lcdrs was dont do it, its run by nfo's with the caviat that growlers might change that some what.

Ha! For a community "run by NFO's" about half my Skippers were pilots in my career. It is what you make of it. If you're looking for an excuse to not suceed anyone will do.

I fully expected A-6's out of VT-86 but graduated that last class of the FY in 88. That meant #1 got his choice (Intruders Oceana) and the next 11 of us got Prowlers to fill a Corry class (basic airborne EW was at Corry then). Turns out it could not have been better. Yes, it would have been fun to have been a b/n but the EW community has truly evolved into a respected one with lots of interesting opportunities. Yes, I loved NUW but as others have pointed out I really didn't get much of chance to enjoy it my first tour. But I truly enjoyed my second and my instructor tour up there.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting day digging around the squadron, got a chance to talk to some lcdrs and a sergrad about to go to the FRS ..... the thing i got from the lcdrs was dont do it, its run by nfo's with the caviat that growlers might change that some what. The sergrad said two things that caught my attention:

1) it was a more relaxed enviroment; for example, he sat threw a legacy hornet debrief which went 2 hrs that was very intense, versus a prowler brief and debried which comparativly was relaxed.

2) he said that he had had gouge passed on to him that low levels were a big part of the flying prowlers did, and that was what he enjoyed most in advanced.

I still have a few stages to go, one being ACM, so maybe I will have a better idea of what to do after all is said and done.

Well, you spell and punctuate like a Hornet guy, so maybe VFA is where you belong. :icon_tong

Seriously - there's no point in agonizing. If you really can't make up your mind, then you'll be perfectly happy wherever you go. Just throw a dart at the board, realize that the Navy doesn't take your dream sheet all that seriously anyway, and practice shooting down your watch.

Kiljoy

Thanks Fester the last post I made was 2 years ago because of a response like that, at least you made yours laughable, bottom line how ever bad I may be at the English language I made it to where I am with it so.... ill just laugh and continue to press

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Charlies
Supers
Growlers
Prowlers
If you go Prowlers, you are going to have to play catch up when you switch to Growlers. You are actually going to be more than a bus driver in the Growler. VFA gives you more places to be stationed at.....not just Whidbey. Charlies first because you are guaranteed single-seat.

Flytpay is a wise one indeed! The pilot will be doing a lot more work and from what I've heard its quite task saturating up in the front cockpit now. In the end, if they need a prowler guy, it won't matter how well you did in ACM or WEPS, you'll be going prowlers. If they don't need one, you're going to have a tough time getting a spot. Guys who want Prowlers that winged before me couldn't get them. So maybe if you really want a Prowler spot start talking to your command now so they could arrange something.

To answer another of your questions, prowler guys do quite a few low levels, at 420 kt and 500' AGL. If you really liked low levels, the hornet guys do them at 200' and 480-540. I wouldn't base your decision on how relaxed the debriefs are here.

One more thing to think about, your friends will be soloing the hornet while you're in AVEWs (EA ground school). They'll be doing weps while you're in FAM/NAV ground school. They'll be doing fighter dets while your being a warm body for all of the ECMO sims. They'll be working up for the boat while you're waiting for your first flight. I'll reiterate that you'll be spending the majority of your first year winged out of cockpit. For some thats a big deal.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't base your decision on how relaxed the debriefs are here.

Amen. Sure, bag smashery can get old after a while, but the debrief is all about making you better. For what it is worth, my community has/had a reputation for being hard on its young guys, and I was a bit unsure if I wanted to put up with that. Looking back at it now, I can't believe I was ever about to let that affect my decision. I have to agree with the others that it is the personality of your squadron and the mission you fly that will have the greatest impact on how much you enjoy what you do. You've got little to no say about one of those, and a little bit to say about the other. I would strongly suggest that you pick your aircraft based upon its mission.

sailorjerry

Just a couple quick questions:

Do Charlie squadrons have a lower op tempo because of maintenance issues with the older aircraft than Super squadrons?

Is the Charlie sticking around until the supposed JSF, or will they eventually be replaced by Supers?

Thanks

Pugs

Back from the range
None
To answer another of your questions, prowler guys do quite a few low levels, at 420 kt and 500' AGL. If you really liked low levels, the hornet guys do them at 200' and 480-540.

When did they change that? Used to fly the 1350/51/55 and the IR's all the time at 200' AGL and whatever speed left you with enough gas at the end. More pussification of my former community?

KBayDog

When did they change that? Used to fly the 1350/51/55 and the IR's all the time at 200' AGL and whatever speed left you with enough gas at the end. More pussification of my former community?

What was the weather like up at those altitudes? :icon_smil

Pugs

Back from the range
None
What was the weather like up at those altitudes? :icon_smil

The rules said 200' the radalt may not agree. Of course our radalt shut off at 5K unlike yours that is useful in your entire flight regime. ;)