• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

19 JAN 2020 OCS Class

Margoose

Hey Everyone,

I wanted some insight from your opinions. Congrats to every one that was selected. Unfortunately, I was not selected for Pilot. On the other hand, I was still given the opportunity to apply again for OCS. This would be my third attempt in going to the boards. Previous recruiter did not assist me in building a strong kit compared to my current recruiter. My recruiter gave some insight to apply for SWO instead to test the waters hoping for a better chance. I am afraid that if I apply for an aviation board, that I could receive a "No and not apply again." I would not mind as I just want to be an officer and make a difference. Please let me know what you guys think. My info is listed below and any feedback would be helpful. For now, I will be applying soon for an upcoming board. Thanks and good skills...you don't need luck!

parkers18

Hey Everyone,

I wanted some insight from your opinions. Congrats to every one that was selected. Unfortunately, I was not selected for Pilot. On the other hand, I was still given the opportunity to apply again for OCS. This would be my third attempt in going to the boards. Previous recruiter did not assist me in building a strong kit compared to my current recruiter. My recruiter gave some insight to apply for SWO instead to test the waters hoping for a better chance. I am afraid that if I apply for an aviation board, that I could receive a "No and not apply again." I would not mind as I just want to be an officer and make a difference. Please let me know what you guys think. My info is listed below and any feedback would be helpful. For now, I will be applying soon for an upcoming board. Thanks and good skills...you don't need luck!

I think that one thing you can do (if able) is retake your ASTB. The minimum for SWO I believe is 40 yes, but hovering around there isn't very attractive. Also, volunteering is a fabulous way to boost your packet. Also, if youre reapplying, ask your recruiter to include a reconsideration letter to the board.

Reg-A-Muffin0716

Resist, Retaliate, Press Forward!
Hey Everyone,

You’re not alone. Upon not getting accepted for my first try, I was told by my first recruiter (an AMEC, not a LT/Above) that I can’t apply for NFO or even Aviation Maintenance Duty Officer (AMDO) again. He kept on insisting that I apply for SWO due to faster admission, but I WON’T budge! Why? Because my mind would flicker back and forth to the USS McCain and Fitzgerald incidents. On top of that, I have a Service Bro who kept asking me to apply for Flight no matter what happens. So, I cut my losses with my recruiting Chief from NRD L.A.

Months later, I found another recruiter from another NRD (a Lieutenant stationed out of San Diego), and she was willing to work with me on my renewed package for an upcoming Aviation Board (both Pilot and NFO the next go around). As I only got the minimum FOFAR score on the ASTB, I was better considered for Pilot.

That stated, you might wanna give the seafaring option another thought. If you really want Flight, DON’T let anybody tell you “No!”

Margoose

Thanks for the insight. My previous recruiter wasn't really helpful as he was not an enlisted and on his way out to his next placement. My recruiter is an LT and provided feedback and reassurance. It's hard to say because coming in as a civilian with no flying or military experience (besides ROTC) sets me apart. Plus, my scores are not outrageous. He did suggest that I could potentially do a lateral transfer to pilot if I'm still interested. We'll see how this process goes, but I'll keep y'all updated on any results. Appreciate it, Fam!

Reg-A-Muffin0716

Resist, Retaliate, Press Forward!
Thanks for the insight. My previous recruiter wasn't really helpful as he was not an enlisted and on his way out to his next placement. My recruiter is an LT and provided feedback and reassurance. It's hard to say because coming in as a civilian with no flying or military experience (besides ROTC) sets me apart. Plus, my scores are not outrageous. He did suggest that I could potentially do a lateral transfer to pilot if I'm still interested. We'll see how this process goes, but I'll keep y'all updated on any results. Appreciate it, Fam!

From what I heard, the NFO-To-Pilot Transition Program is a shot in the dark. Only 1%-5% within an annual application pool gets selected. Even a lot of people with the most significant Quals don’t get picked up at all.

If I were you, I’d decide from the get-go whether to become a Pilot or NFO. It’s mainly one or the other, not one and, then, to another. Do you follow?

AirMed98

Hey Guys! Does anyone have any advice on getting my PT scores up? I’m pushing about 14:35 on my mile and a half, 31 for my push ups and my plank holds are awesome at 36 seconds... I really see myself getting down to the 7:00 min range on my mile and a half come that first PRT at OCS ( just with the Gunny screaming down my neck LOL)

Hey Guys! Does anyone have any advice on getting my PT scores up? I’m pushing about 14:35 on my mile and a half, 31 for my push ups and my plank holds are awesome at 36 seconds... I really see myself getting down to the 7:00 min range on my mile and a half come that first PRT at OCS ( just with the Gunny screaming down my neck LOL)
Unless you're an ol' Fleeter like me, you should really take a hard look at what your scores need to be for your age. A 14:15 run time is my cutoff and I'm in the 30-34 bracket. The run portion will consist of either 6 laps outdoors or 20 laps indoors (subject to verification). Please let me know if you legitimately cut 2+ min off your run time in just 9 days. I'd be very interested in that. As for pushing and curling, my best advice is don't get injured trying to up your PT at the last minute. Not sure about planking for the beginning of 2020, and to be honest, 36 seconds could use some work. I'm 245 lbs. and I can hold my beer belly up for about 2 1/2 minutes.

I highly suggest you download the Navy PFA app and use the interactive PFA calculator to gauge where you really are. Get some sandbags from home depot to hold your legs down for curlups, and get some pushup bars from WalMart to really give you a feel of going ALL the way down. Eat your greens, eggs are great for breakfast, and sleep as well as you can. I'll see you in a few days.

Hatch

stassirow

Hello everyone,

I just took the OAR and score 54. I know there was a board January 16th. Would anyone happen to know when is the next board?