• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

187 Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalebite

I beleive tighty whities are required for Navy ocs, but what about Marine ocs? Are there requirements, or is one better than the other for the pt we will be doing. I prefer boxers.

jonww1

You will be wearing green skivvy shorts while you are there. Look at the pictures during pt on the Marine OCS Website. Those will be them.

Whalebite

Still confused, I am not asking about pt shorts, I am asking about underwear. Are you saying underwear will be issued, because the pics I see are shorts not underwear, and there is no underwear listed on the small or large bag issue. Nowhere does it say the acceptable style of underwear, on the to bring list.
thanks

fantome7

Whalebite: Relax on the underwear man. Your first couple of days at OCS you will be in civilian trousers with a war belt and two canteens and maybe a green PT undershirt. The Admin staff that will be processing you probably wont care what your wearing under your pants. When you do get picked up (and thats a blast), by your Company staff you will then get your Utilities and other Issued garments. As per what the other guys have posted; the green PT "silkys" are like gold. I wear them as underwear to this day. They have a lining inside them to keep the jewels secure but they're also great for sleeping in, if you have to get them wet (which you will) they arent so uncomfortable because they dry quick and they are great as underwear because they arent so "constrictive" youll have enough of that there. They are also great for "lounging" like after your hygiene shower at the end of the day you will have time for weapons maintenance or letter writting for about an hour before lights out. This is my ode to the silky's, God bless the Silky's! Good luck at OCS candidate and remember it's 90% mental. I fyou have any other questions feel free to ask me.

Semper Fidelis

2LT V. Augustine Trujillo
OCC/PLC comb summer 03

fantome7

Oh I ranted so much on the silkys I forgot to answer your question. You WILL be issued some tightie whities but they, (for us at least) were best stored in the wall locker for the first inspection which is of the wall locker and foot locker assembly as per candidate knowledge: read it know it love it! They are best kept there unworn and labeled properly.
Remember uniformity and accountability are a huge part of OCS

dliu115

lieutenidate at tbs
don't stress out too much about what you need to bring.
they'll give you everything you need while you're there. besides, the more you bring, the more you'll have to pick off the parade deck during the "sea-bag drag"

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I ended up trashing my civilian skivvies after pick-up. Silkys at all times! Keeps the chafe away. If you're going to bring anything, bring extra silkys.

reapergm

Wow, whats up with the grave concerns about underwear. Relax. Worry about the SIs and getting your arse chewed out for 10 weeks. Its been posted time and time again that the PT shorts will become your underwear. Thats it. Deal with it. Who cares what you wear the first few days. Concentrate on learning your candidate Regs and getting your shiat done. Worry about PFT.

caeli

Whalebite - forget the tighty-whities or the boxers or even the PT shorts - go with hot pink panties!!!! j/k

FlyingDutchman

I saw the large issue bag only has 2 pairs of socks. What do you guys recommend wearing with the civilian clothes the first 3 days and should you take extra socks along?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
You're wearing go-fasters for check in so you'll want some extra white socks. They get nasty and turn gray from the trails during PT as well. Don't be that candidate with black or green socks on with your go-fasters. Also, don't bring short ankle socks, guys were called "fairy candidates" for that...plus it goes against uniformity.
Sorry about the rambling, but you might want to bring an extra pair of civvies, at least trousers. My civvies were practically unservicable after check in (you also get sick of wearing the same thing every weekend). Also wrinkle free is a huge plus when libo rolls around...you won't be waiting in line for the iron while your buddies are catching a cab to Potomac Mills. Good luck!

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
In 186 we had a lot (like more than half probably) of candi's wearing low socks as opposed to calf socks. I had read this gouge about socks here and was suprised to find it wrong. At least for Charlie/Alpha company.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
More info:
I realize they keep you in the dark as to what to bring.
You will be issues toiletries, but not a decent tooth brush or deodorant. This sounds funny, but I would bring soap on a rope if you can find it. Besides being funny (in a good way) it will save you precious hand space walking to the head to shower. You don’t need shampoo; you won’t have hair.

If you can go out and but Fox Valley blister-free socks or thorlo boot sockx, that is highly recommended. I wore those without doing the thin inside of thick and my feet were fine. Not doing the double sock method has advantages: time and packing space on long exercises.

You will not need any extra clothes. Maybe an extra pair of pants. Personally, I kept mine in my car until the first libo. I had no problem with the ones I packed getting excessively wrinkled.

Bring extra markers (black) for marking gear. Laundry Sharpies are good. Bring a few black pens, and a couple of red pens (you really only need one, but your fellow candidates will appreciate it if you have a few extras). DON’T pack this stuff away when they put your civilian bag away in the locker.

Ziplock bags are key. Big and small. You will need the big ones with more frequency, though. The small ones are what you will put your paper in for stuff (like a little notebook thingy).

This is pretty much all you need besides what is on the packing list before the first libo I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.