• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1835 Opportunities Aboard a Ship

gaj29

Are there many mobilization opportunities for 1835s to serve on a ship? I am aware of all the great mob opportunities in Africa, with NSW, at various JIOCs, etc. But rarely have I heard anything about 1835s serving aboard a ship. When I do my first mobilization, I want to serve aboard a ship and I am wondering if these opportunities exist, and if so, are they readily available?

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
When I do my first mobilization, I want to serve aboard a ship and I am wondering if these opportunities exist, and if so, are they readily available?
Maybe not for the first go-round, but it would be awesome to get some sea duty as a reservist; especially as an IW.

gaj29

All,

I am specifically looking for 1835 intel officer opportunities to mobilize on a ship as soon as I earn my complete NIOBC and IDC pin. Are these "traditional Navy" mobilization opportunities readily available or are they mainly staffed by active duty 1830s and reservists are left with a lot of these land-based mob opportunities?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
All,

I am specifically looking for 1835 intel officer opportunities to mobilize on a ship as soon as I earn my complete NIOBC and IDC pin. Are these "traditional Navy" mobilization opportunities readily available or are they mainly staffed by active duty 1830s and reservists are left with a lot of these land-based mob opportunities?

If the sole purpose of going out to sea is to earn the IDC pin, you're clearly mistaken. You can earn it without having to go to sea.

Speaking of sea duty, HH60 mentioned it, there are very few 1830s who go out to sea so I can imagine the possibilities as a reservist are slim to none. Since you're an 1835 applicant your best bet is to ask the same question whenever you get your IDC panel interviews done.

Another option is to follow the "IWC Self Synchronization" Facebook page which has a ton of IDC gouge and can probably field your question. AWs is primarily for aviation and some GENOFF OCS support.

LET73

Yeah, we had a targeteer who was a reservist when I was on the CVN, but he was a senior LT (who I think had been selected for LCDR). Also, that was in 2008/2009, and if anything there are probably fewer opportunities now. There just aren't that many shipboard billets for 1830s, let alone 1835s. Honestly, if you really want to go to sea, you should be looking at going active duty if that's an option. Otherwise there are a lot of dirt deployments in your future.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have known over 20 1835's I have served with and not one had done a MOB or ADSW at sea. I am not saying they aren out there, LET knew one, but there certainly aren't a lot of them.

unbroken

Naval officer
I was told those opportunities are available to reservists, but that reservists frequently turn them down (one CDR told me he'd asked 8 different 1835 reservists to activate for a sea tour, and non jumped on it). Not sure whether that's due to civilian job opportunities, family obligations, other billet preferences, etc., or a combination thereof. But I definitely got the sense that it was possible. I also know of at least one 0-2 1835 reservist who just wrapped up a sea tour.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
There are very few 1830s, let alone 1835s on AW. I don't think anyone is ignoring you, I just think there are very few of us who might know.
As probably one of the more senior (only?) 1835s on here, I would say the opportunities are rare - but they exist. The best place to find them is here: https://private.navyreserve.navy.mil/CNIRC/ATADTADSW/Pages/default.aspx It's CAC-enabled, but it's where (as the name suggests) all IDC/IW AT, ADT, and ADSW jobs get posted. None are for afloat opportunities right now, but I've seen them occasionally. Keep your eyes peeled and you might get lucky.

unbroken

Naval officer
As probably one of the more senior (only?) 1835s on here, I would say the opportunities are rare - but they exist. The best place to find them is here: https://private.navyreserve.navy.mil/CNIRC/ATADTADSW/Pages/default.aspx It's CAC-enabled, but it's where (as the name suggests) all IDC/IW AT, ADT, and ADSW jobs get posted. None are for afloat opportunities right now, but I've seen them occasionally. Keep your eyes peeled and you might get lucky.

Thanks for this! Just wondering -- what are the most common activation opportunities for 1835 reservists? Maybe that's an ignorant question. But are most domestic/Pentagon billets, bases abroad, etc? Thanks in advance.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Thanks for this! Just wondering -- what are the most common activation opportunities for 1835 reservists? Maybe that's an ignorant question. But are most domestic/Pentagon billets, bases abroad, etc? Thanks in advance.
There's a distinction between mobilizations (involuntary) and voluntary opportunities, like ADT and ADSW. The latter cover a wide range of opportunities - many inside the Beltway, but also at fleet concentration areas and overseas. These tend to be split between long-term requirements (ADSW), and shorter-term needs - like for exercises. The mobilization requirements are almost always in the less pleasant locales: Afghanistan, HOA, etc. Tampa-stan occasionally presents itself, but mob's are heavily slanted to the CENTCOM AOR.