• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

15 May 2017 SWO Board

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For sure, that's what the OR said. He mentioned that the 16JUL17 class is overbooked by 3 candidates. August classes were blocked off for "Critical+Needs-of-the-Navy+Hot-fill" communities.

That August comment is bogus, especially because it's the beginning of the FY.

OCS classes meet every three weeks. The only exception is the Christmas holidays in which they may adjust.

NavalAzzam

I hear most people don't have SWO as their first choice and that some in the community dislike it because it's always a back up for INTEL or Pilot or another community. Did anyone else in here, other than me, have SWO as their first choice and want it most? Asking honestly! I mean EOD would be my real first choice but almost zero non prior EODs are picked up so I didn't even consider it and wanted SWO most!

moveslikemorgan

Standing By
I hear most people don't have SWO as their first choice and that some in the community dislike it because it's always a back up for INTEL or Pilot or another community. Did anyone else in here, other than me, have SWO as their first choice and want it most? Asking honestly! I mean EOD would be my real first choice but almost zero non prior EODs are picked up so I didn't even consider it and wanted SWO most!

I've heard some of that too, but then again, those people probably came into joining the Navy with that idea already in mind. "I want to be a pilot and nothing else" or "I want to be an NFO and nothing else". I personally came into the recruiting office to join the Navy because I wanted to serve, period. I really had no knowledge coming in of what that would even look like.

SWO was my first and only choice, and obviously the one I wanted most because it was all that was listed on my application. I had my recruiter explain the different designators to me, and this is the one that aligned most with where I saw myself excelling. It was also good timing because the board was coming up within the next few months and it was one I'd be able to make the deadline for. My recruiter was a SWO, and he had nothing bad to say about it...I've also noticed most of the people who hate on SWO life aren't even SWOs. Lol. If that tells you anything.

Idk, I'm obviously new here and can't speak from experience. But planning to go into it with an open mind and make the best of whatever it is that's waiting for me out there...

Last edited:

NavalAzzam

I've heard some of that too, but then again, those people probably came into joining the Navy with that idea already in mind. "I want to be a pilot and nothing else" or "I want to be an NFO and nothing else". I personally came into the recruiting office to join the Navy because I wanted to serve, period. I really had no knowledge coming in of what that would even look like.

SWO was my first and only choice, and obviously the one I wanted most because it was all that was listed on my application. I had my recruiter explain the different designators to me, and this is the one that aligned most with where I saw myself excelling. It was also good timing because the board was coming up within the next few months and it was one I'd be able to make the deadline for. My recruiter was a SWO, and he had nothing bad to say about it...I've also noticed most of the people who hate on SWO life aren't even SWOs. Lol. If that tells you anything.

Idk, I'm obviously new here and can't speak from experience. But planning to go into it with an open mind and make the best of whatever it is that's waiting for me out there...

Couldn't agree more!

OfficerHopeful

Swo was listed as my first choice, only to increase odds of selection. I was stationed on two ships, with the last one being a ddg so I was able to really see what the life is like. It can suck, the most sea intensive designator by far. Growing up my dad was (is) a SWO and there career was almost pure sea. By the time I graduated, he deployed 14 times. The life on the ship is pretty good, but some DIVO billets are nicer than others.

NavalAzzam

Okay so at OCS I know that they will take all the SWOs in a room and they will decide based off of available billets where to be stationed and it can be the station or ship etc. Does anyone or everyone want to give their opinions for SWO stations and SWO ships in order or best to worst or their top three or five? Just a thought!

OfficerHopeful

Norfolk, Florida, Rota in that order. Preferably a CRUDES (loved DDG life), but I wouldn't complain about an LSD/LPD. Picking those for family reasons, though I did go to CFL course in Everett, WA and that seems like a great place to be stationed!

cameronguyen

Former Aggie Cadet '17
Norfolk, Florida, Rota in that order. Preferably a CRUDES (loved DDG life), but I wouldn't complain about an LSD/LPD. Picking those for family reasons, though I did go to CFL course in Everett, WA and that seems like a great place to be stationed!
I would have guessed the other way around. It seems like a lot of folks fight over Spain but I guess it makes sense to want to stay in the states for family.