• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

14Jan22 SWO Board

TCamp

Hello all,
This is my first board and I’m nervous. I just graduated with my BS in Business Administration with a 3.30 GPA and a 47 on the OAR. I have 3 letters of rec from a Navy LCDR, a local town council member/DA, and a high school teacher. I missed the November board due to MEPS paperwork and very much looking forward to getting my shot this time around. My recruiter emailed me (along with other applicants) saying to expect a very quick ship date if I am accepted. Is this normal or is there some kind of extraneous circumstance this board?

exNavyOffRec

My package isn’t the strongest but I’m coming into this first board with confidence.
I am a male 25 years old.
Bachelors Degree in Sports Medicine
GPA: 3.67
According to my recruiter, a strong motivational statement.
OAR: 43 so not great at all but my recruiter said the GPA and motivational statement can outweigh that weakness in my package.
I have 3 LoR from 1 Ret. Navy Capt. and 2 Lt. Col
2 Character references (Chief Medical Officer where I work and professor) along with 2 employer reference forms.

Hoping for the absolute best with this go-round.
You have a strong application (specifically your GPA), the OAR just gets you to the board, no one really cares what it is once you get there.

isabg0919

SWO Candidate- OCS May 29, 2022
What do you mean “just gets you to the board” do we if selected physically go infront of the board members?
Haha, no, not at all! The Oar is simply a "ticket" to get on the board and be seen by them. Little significance after, meaning they look at everything else after that.

exNavyOffRec

It just limits people from being on the board if they don't get a qualifying score.
but even if the OAR isn't qualifying NRC has been handing out waivers like participation trophies. Then they let the board figure it out based on the rest of the application.

Edit: or handing out waivers like Oprah, you get a waiver, and you get a waiver, everyone gets a waiver!

but even if the OAR isn't qualifying NRC has been handing out waivers like participation trophies. Then they let the board figure it out based on the rest of the application.

Edit: or handing out waivers like Oprah, you get a waiver, and you get a waiver, everyone gets a waiver!
And no waivers are good correct?

isabg0919

SWO Candidate- OCS May 29, 2022

Huh, is there a specific reason they are doing that you think? Why have the OAR in place then ?

Huh, is there a specific reason they are doing that you think? Why have the OAR in place then ?
it sets a "standard" for designators, especially the more competitive ones. But like exNavy stated, NRC is pro-waiver so submit the waiver request if you need to and be sure to add some context in the justification portion.

exNavyOffRec

it sets a "standard" for designators, especially the more competitive ones. But like exNavy stated, NRC is pro-waiver so submit the waiver request if you need to and be sure to add some context in the justification portion.
It used to be used in a way to limit applications, for a long time there was no leniency.