• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

130's

Status
Not open for further replies.

klostman

the happy dance!
Just curious, how many 130's are in the Marine Corps? Also, if anyone has recently seen the pipeline, how competitive are spots for this bird? I would imagine its tough to get in because their fewer in numbers and you fly more often in the 130 as opposed to hornets, harriers, etc... Which is ideal for those who are hoping to fly as much as possible.

Rainman

pilot
don't have to have seen the "pipeline" to know how competitive it is. (b/c it is the only Marine bird in the Maritime pipe). . so. . very competitive. I haven't seen a selection for Marine Maritime in a really long time. Not to say that will affect you. The usual stuff--do your best; put down your wishes and do the little "selection" dance (the same dance you do when you are on standby waiting for the clouds to disappear). . .

Raptor2216

I was speaking with a major(who was a advanced jet training flight instructor) at the mirimar airshow last week and he told me that the C-130 is the most sought out bird which makes selection very competitive. They also had an USMC prowler at the aiirshow and the pilot told me the Corps only has 6 of them in total so you can just imagine the selection process for that airframe.

elzie44

You are correct about the number and location of the C130 squadrons. I deployed to the front with them last year after 9/11. I can tell you that it's different animal working with C-130's vice Jets. I was with VMGR-352 and it was my best deployment ever!

elzie44

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey Raptor,
You must have misunderstood the pilot at the airshow. There are 6 per squadron and there are 4 squadrons. All are Block 82's soon to be receiving Block 86's from the Navy. The last word I heard is that the Corps intends to fly the Block 86's until 2020 and then the Corps intends to be out of the EW buisness. Of course alot of things can change in 18 years. I will verify these statements tonight and get back with you. I have a Prowler crew and two Hornet pilots drinking at my house tonight. There here for the Wings over Houston Airshow but I think this damn hurricane is going to prevent any flying. By the way, to any San Diego bubbas, I'll be overnighting in San Dog in November if anybody wants to hear any lies from an old Major. Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
If you're ever in the Q area, I'll take you up on it, I'm stashed here until TBS.

"You forgot your furtune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'll look you up E5B. I was just in Q town a little less then a month ago. Semper Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by Frumby
I'll be overnighting in San Dog in November if anybody wants to hear any lies from an old Major.

I'll be at North Island from the 15th to the 27th of November on DET, when will you be in town?

akoni78

So how many Hornets per squadron and how many squadrons? If you wanted a Hornet (with a really good NSS in intermediate), what are your chances at getting it? (It would seem that with so little Prowlers and 130s, it would be easier to get Hornets)
Thanks

Rainman

pilot
You wouldn't compete with the Hercules drivers @ intermediate. There are a number of posts on the breakdowns. .but something like 32-26% jet selections over last 5 years (for Marines) @ primary. At the end of advanced, they're broken out into Prowlers, Harriers, Hornet. Don't know about those numbers. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.