• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

11JUL17 Pilot/NFO board

(NAC)Arizona

1520/AMDO
CONGRATS everyone!! While I was TAD my kit sat on a desk and had no help back home. Kait's scores make me feel better. Going to retake the ASTB in late August and submit the kit. Studying all sorts of stuff and math from standardized tests too. Roughly a 38% acceptance rate for SNFO and 60% for SNA. Being a student going through any aircrew schooling there is a higher standard than navy standards. Just aim for the best scores you can get for your age and you will be a superstar, NEVER go for the minimums. Under a 12-min 1.5 mile is a good start. Best of luck to everyone and I will be right behind ya!

Safashton

CONGRATS everyone!! While I was TAD my kit sat on a desk and had no help back home. Kait's scores make me feel better. Going to retake the ASTB in late August and submit the kit. Studying all sorts of stuff and math from standardized tests too. Roughly a 38% acceptance rate for SNFO and 60% for SNA. Being a student going through any aircrew schooling there is a higher standard than navy standards. Just aim for the best scores you can get for your age and you will be a superstar, NEVER go for the minimums. Under a 12-min 1.5 mile is a good start. Best of luck to everyone and I will be right behind ya!

A lot of people have found the forums here immensely helpful for studying for the ASTB with all of the gouge, which I agree to an extent. I found throughout my studies using materials from this site, there was a lot of the material riddled with errors or wrong answers, which made studying a little worse. However, the material in the gouge showed me what type of material to study for. So what I did was find the types of questions that would be asked, such as DRT, probability, Logs, order of operations, etc, whatever type of questions, then I would go to more official sources and study from there. So that's just my word of caution, use at your own risk.

justheretocreep

Does anyone know if I am an E-5 without dependents receiving BAH if I will continue to receive it during OCS?

From what I've been told by recent graduates is no you do not receive BAH during OCS. However, SNA's are now being sent to do OHARP after graduation in which you will then begin to receive a set amount of BAH during that time. From what I've been told its like 900 a month during OHARP.

Also on the note of pay, during OCS pay will be difficult and "weird" from what I've heard. One pay check will be like 2900 and the next will be 600. Some advice I've received is do not try to budget your accounts based off your first few paychecks even after graduation. You'll start to see your steady income a few pay periods after graduation.

Again all of this is simply based off the 2 recent grads I've spoken with, so technically hearsay.

Safashton

From what I've been told by recent graduates is no you do not receive BAH during OCS. However, SNA's are now being sent to do OHARP after graduation in which you will then begin to receive a set amount of BAH during that time. From what I've been told its like 900 a month during OHARP.

Also on the note of pay, during OCS pay will be difficult and "weird" from what I've heard. One pay check will be like 2900 and the next will be 600. Some advice I've received is do not try to budget your accounts based off your first few paychecks even after graduation. You'll start to see your steady income a few pay periods after graduation.

Again all of this is simply based off the 2 recent grads I've spoken with, so technically hearsay.

Those with Dependents will receive BAH, at least the priors will.

Do you know how long there doing OHARP for?

I calculated it out, going from Norfolk to Pcola with drop in BAH and the drop in BAS, losing SAR Pay (SDAP), and losing/starting over in flight pay, it'll literally be a difference of $5.97 for me lol, then when I start getting flight pay again its like $130. I wont see the awesomeness until O-2E. This is not factoring Taxes either, so it could be worse, not sure.

justheretocreep

Those with Dependents will receive BAH, at least the priors will.

Do you know how long there doing OHARP for?

I calculated it out, going from Norfolk to Pcola with drop in BAH and the drop in BAS, losing SAR Pay (SDAP), and losing/starting over in flight pay, it'll literally be a difference of $5.97 for me lol, then when I start getting flight pay again its like $130. I wont see the awesomeness until O-2E. This is not factoring Taxes either, so it could be worse, not sure.

I'm not sure how much longer they are doing OHARP but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon lol and OHARP for SNA's is about another 12 weeks before we go to Pcola.

justheretocreep

The time is "chill" as the recruiters only use you when they need you. One of the ENS's I spoke with said his recruiter literally had him phone muster in at 10 every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and that was it. It is a relaxing time but you get out what you put in. Use the time wisely to either work on swimming, stay in shape or practice your admin work with the recruiters. It's not uncommon for new Ensigns to piss away this time and get fat and out of shape and fail their PRT when they get to Pcola or even do dumb shit like get a DUI and get kicked out. Don't be that guy. Stay smart, stay in shape, and remember you will be representing the Navy in and out of uniform at all times.

ISLANDERZPZ

If you can't pass a Navy PRT, ahhhh.... yeah. That should be the last of your worries. I'm like 20 lbs over weight and pretty much never work out. Still max all but the run, and that's still like 10:30. If this were the Marines, different story.
Now I don't recommend going to OCS out of shape, like I currently am, but you will be amazed at some of the people who show up with you and make it through. One dude in our class lost 30 lbs and is now "flying" jets in Meridian.
API APIT is the same as a normal PRT, it's just on a chip trail rather than a track. Which I actually prefer to run on. You'll take it when you first show up before you start IFS. They won't let you start flying until you pass it. I highly recommend passing the first time.
If you are a decent swimmer, then your biggest worry will be getting a blister from those god awful 20 year old boots you'll be barefoot in.
Now the helo dunker, some people think it's a blast, but fuck that thing. If you're not on a SEBD, no. thank. you.

To prep for OCS, spend time with your family and friends, study your OCR, and put down the video game controller and do something active. Sure if you suck at swimming, spend some time doing laps and treading water, maybe even wear heavy shoes.
Good luck!
Good Word!

MatthewG08

My skipper just today finally emailed back to the OCS processors with my release date, got the reply back its been forwarded for final approval. Tic toc, tic toc
Same boat here just hurry up and wait again. My friend that went through before said he waited 2 months before he had class dates after the CO released him but hopefully we don't wait that long.

MatthewG08

Did anyone else apply for only one option and got a different one. I applied only for SNA but got SNFO and didn't put it anywhere in the package or tell anyone that I wanted an alternate? I mean I certainly won't pass up a commision but not expecting this result. Oh well Officer was my overall goal anyway.

Safashton

Did anyone else apply for only one option and got a different one. I applied only for SNA but got SNFO and didn't put it anywhere in the package or tell anyone that I wanted an alternate? I mean I certainly won't pass up a commision but not expecting this result. Oh well Officer was my overall goal anyway.

I've heard of that happening, but its like a double edge sword, in that you got a position you didn't apply for, but gives commission. Could turn it down and potentially never get selected again.