• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

m26

Contributor
This is where I get confused. I have seen the field select order and paperwork, but I'm not really wiling to go back and dig it up now. What I thought it said, however, was that it if you meet the requirements the recruiter can simply sign you up - in effect, signing off on the field select is the functional equivalent of a pro-rec. I don't know what the "chance" of the matter would be, other than needing the NRD CO to sign off on it or some such.

WEGL12

VT-28
This is where I get confused. I have seen the field select order and paperwork, but I'm not really wiling to go back and dig it up now. What I thought it said, however, was that it if you meet the requirements the recruiter can simply sign you up - in effect, signing off on the field select is the functional equivalent of a pro-rec. I don't know what the "chance" of the matter would be, other than needing the NRD CO to sign off on it or some such.

I see what you are getting at now. The way he explained the process was he recommends certain people to be direct selected. The CO of the district has the final say and determines the direct select which results in a pro-rec. From that point on the process is the same I believe. This may be the information you are talking about. I found this on the CNRC website.
Link: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/NOTICES/1131_BDCP.pdf

m26

Contributor
All I can do is apply and find out.

This is the line that got me. Looks like you get to skip an application altogether. I'm very jealous if so. You could avoid the dreaded wait for results, maybe FS faster (and get paid faster). Good for you if the CO approves, and if he doesn't you will only be where you thought you would be anyway.

WEGL12

VT-28
This is the line that got me. Looks like you get to skip an application altogether. I'm very jealous if so. You could avoid the dreaded wait for results, maybe FS faster (and get paid faster). Good for you if the CO approves, and if he doesn't you will only be where you thought you would be anyway.

I believe that in order to be field selected you must complete all the requirements for BDCP (application, ADP, NASIS, etc.). The difference is that the recruiter sends the application directly to the CO of the recruiting district rather than the normal selection board. I agree that I have absolutely nothing to lose.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for all the information, where do I record the community service hours? Is it a separate sheet or within the BDCP packet?

looked like on my app for commission page 3, section II part 3. extracurricular activities/orgs/clubs ect would be a decent place to put it

example: habitat for humanities/ X college/ 3 years/ 100 hours

in this area there is room to list 5 activities, make sure to fill them up, if you have more than 5 guess pick the best 5.

m26

Contributor
Bautista, you can also attach a separate resume, if you have enough to say.

Or so I hear. I didn't do it.

efini_kid

Are there any numbers on people selected so far in 2010? I was reading last night on here that USAF is basically shutting down OTS for the rest of 2010 and the navy may be doing the same because there are so many applicant and OC's.
Will this have any effect on BDCP applicants?

Also, I have a question concerning community service. My fraternity is very service oriented, I have spent this entire semester planning a charity golf tournament to benefit abused children in the dallas area. Does this kind of stuff count? Currently I am involved in a program to raise money to buy wigs for kids going thru chemotherapy. A third event im taking part in is a habitat for humanity build, which i have been helping raise money for all semester. Are these types of events good to put on the application or are they looking for something else?

m26

Contributor
-Yes. Look around, a recruiter's blog has been posted with some recent numbers.
-Long answer: Perhaps. BDCP is complicated because it isn't the flow valve that OCS is. They're often picking people for future fiscal years. If they're cutting down on manning BDCP numbers will suffer, as they will if more people continue to look the military with the weak economy. And so long as they have such an overflow of qualified applicants for OCS there may be some question as to whether paying BDCP folk is really worth it. Of course BDCP has been going strong for many years, and has made it through lean times in the past.
Short answer: I have no damn clue.
-Yes
-Yes, put it on the application. If it doesn't fit neatly onto the form put it on a résumé.

Top_Gun_10

I am applying for the BDCP scholorship in a couple of weeks and I was wondering what kind of GPA did you guys have when you were accepted. Also do you get to choose any school you want to when you get this scholarship?

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
I am applying for the BDCP scholorship in a couple of weeks and I was wondering what kind of GPA did you guys have when you were accepted. Also do you get to choose any school you want to when you get this scholarship?

1. It's not a scholarship.
2. You need to choose a school to to even apply. (Any accredited school)
3. The GPAs and stats of those chosen and denied are posted every month in their respected thread. Search the BDCP forum.
4. Use the search function before asking any question.

nba1290

Hypothetically: You are reviewing applications in Millington. You have two identical applications in your hands. One of the applicants is a 28 year old who has been in the work force and the other is a 22 year old who is graduating in a year and going for BDCP.

Who would most likely be accepted?

Lucy

nba1290- From what I understand through other applicants and my recruiter, that the choice does not happen that way. BDCP allotments are for each board, and are considered competive overall, and then compared against other BDCP applicants. The DA applicants are compared to each other because they are in competetion for the same OCS spots, whereas BDCP are not. BDCP is all about potential, moreso than normal DA applicants. For example, say there are going to be appox. 15 BDCP FY 2012 for intel. And you have to be sworn in for BDCP greater that 12 but less that 24(for non tech degrees) months before OCS. So those chosen for FY 2012 are most likely to be chosen between Dec 2009-Dec 2010 roughly. And 8 spots have gone to tech degrees already. That leaves 7 spots to be chosen between those dates. So 7/12 months someone will be selected, or perhaps in groups. So while the starting standards are going to be greater and the selection numbers less, it is not a matter of someone who is able to go to OCS in two months versus someone who can go in two years. Sorry if there are some typing errors, I have major glare on my laptop right now.

Each desginator will have varing numbers, these are just based off of a posting on usnavyocs.com that had either the numbers for fy 2010 or 2009 for intel DA transfer, etc. I'll post the link once I relocate the post.

http://usnavyocs.com/portal/modules...e=viewtopic&p=63070&highlight=ocs+intel#63070

If that doesn't work, it is on the first page of the Intel/IW Jan 2010 Boards under the Intel forum. The BDCP numbers I am having more trouble locating, but you can see where out of that 70 so many would be already filled through BDCP.