• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

100 in A-Pool to be attrited via inspections? YGTBSM!

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
My two lengthy pool waits involved Navy induced group punishment just as much as Marine Corps group punishment. Is it frustrating as hell? Yes. Was it still a good deal? Hell yes. All things being equal, I guess I'd be with Mike on this one. It's not so bad to have to take off the skates and show up to work once in a while in the pool.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right now we are expecting to have to deal with a 'peace dividend' that results in reduced manning throughout the DoD, but in 8-10 years it is entirely possible that with a new president / new conflict manning requirements could significantly increase.

I have not heard of the recent drawdown of the Navy and the Air Force resulting in a 'peace dividend', that is a 90's term. And while the USAF and Navy might be getting a bit smaller it is nowhere near the drawdown of the 90's, at least yet. One small detail you forgot, the Army and the Marines are expanding.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Well that may very well be. I'm not intimately familiar with the term 'peace dividend' and have only come across it in passing, so I may be using it wrong.

I also wasn't insinuating that any modern drawdown would resemble the 90's, but I dont think that changes the situation as it pertains to my question. My question was specifically Navy related, which I can say with confidence that we are either drawingdown or the Navy largely over assessed manning requirements.

Either way I am still curious whether or not there will be a manpower shortage in the future as a result of the current effort to get rid of ensigns. Sky-Pig mentioned that there is likely no way to be certain one way or the other. I'll be interested to see how it pans out.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Sounds like people are getting bored. Those of you in the pool might want to think about some type of volunteer work in the community. Be a great way to accomplish something worthwhile, use up some of your spare time, and "show the flag."
Good point. And if you found something to volunteer at that occupied the time during when inspections occurred, you could protect yourself from inspection pink sheets, look like a standup officer, and oh yeah do some good for the community. Extra points if you can parlay it into a tutoring job with college girls.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Good point. And if you found something to volunteer at that occupied the time during when inspections occurred, you could protect yourself from inspection pink sheets, look like a standup officer, and oh yeah do some good for the community. Extra points if you can parlay it into a tutoring job with college girls.

Now THAT is killing multiple birds with one stone.

Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
A question that a buddy of mine were discussing the other day is with the current push to draw down O-1 levels Navy wide, are we setting ourselves up for a shortage of 0-3/4s down the line.
As has been said, the decision for people to stay or leave varies depending on a ton of outside factors, in addition to the command climate one experiences while in. More Ensigns does not always equate to more DH LTs and LCDRs. If there is a shortage of LTs and LCDRs, then big Navy should look at what's making JOs resign rather than blindly hiring more than necessary.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Big Navy is overmanned with JO's - so they're trying to figure out ways to get rid of you anyway. Fair? Probably not. But life is not fair.

Everything is cyclic. I know in 04 people were getting cut right and left and people from the same year group in 06 got redesig. Its all about timing.

I feel like my confidence has shaken. This has been a depressing morning. I almost get the vibe that they are trying to get rid of us rather than help us through.

I see things haven't changed.

I also wasn't insinuating that any modern drawdown would resemble the 90's, but I dont think that changes the situation as it pertains to my question. My question was specifically Navy related, which I can say with confidence that we are either drawingdown or the Navy largely over assessed manning requirements.

Either way I am still curious whether or not there will be a manpower shortage in the future as a result of the current effort to get rid of ensigns. Sky-Pig mentioned that there is likely no way to be certain one way or the other. I'll be interested to see how it pans out.

I think the problem go deeper than NASC and the other training commands and reflects a lack common sense at bupers in general. They look so much at the details in manning that they miss the big picture. I think if they didnt screw around with the manning system (i.e cut people based on inspections) things would work out in the long term.

If someone does get cut definately go and play in the reserves.

pjxc415

pilot
I find all of this very hard to believe. At least once a week up at Meridian we here about how "we", and the Navy in particular, are in dire need of strike fighter pilots in the fleet right now. Our wing has recently been supplied with more money than I believe its ever had to pump out more pilots .... meaning more flight hours, sims on weekends, and I believe more instructors.

For those of you currently at nas pcola ... a little MC OCS wisdom - be a ghost. The only reason they should know your name is if you're top dog in your api class. Otherwise, keep your nose clean, study hard enough to get 90+ on the tests, stay in shape, and don't dick away ifs if you are in it. You should all be fine, just do the right thing. Or like my favorite primary instructor used to say ... "just do everything perfect."

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Or like my favorite primary instructor used to say ... "just do everything perfect."

That's not the whole quote: "Just do everything perfect, and we can't f*ck with you."

Followed closely by my favorite de-brief comment: "So just suck less next time, and you should be fine."

Renegade One

None
This sort of crapola is exactly why one of the traditional Navy toasts is still "To a bloody war or a sickly season!" (the traditional Thursday evening toast...). They were pumping us through the AOCS/flight training wickets so fast during good 'ol "WW NAM" that no one worried about all this crap...after the DIs gave you your first salute, of course...

This too shall pass...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
For those of you currently at nas pcola ... a little MC OCS wisdom - be a ghost. The only reason they should know your name is if you're top dog in your api class. Otherwise, keep your nose clean, study hard enough to get 90+ on the tests, stay in shape, and don't dick away ifs if you are in it.

First time I heard this advice was from a Rhino FRS IP when I was on my 1/c middie cruise......his advice was to not hang out and try to be buds with the IPs, always be professional, and not to make any sort of reputation for yourself. He said when he shook hands with the skipper and commodore after primary when he made the commodore's list, neither of them had any idea who he was. Same advice got me though API, primary, and hopefully beyond. It doesn't say anywhere in the FTI's that you need to do anything else other study and do your job (flying well obviously).