• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

10,000 traps

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That number does sound insane. It could be the number of traps for that cruise. I know the Connie hit 10,000 traps on our cruise in 99. That's 10,000traps for that cruise only.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In a single deployment counting the whole airwing...yes

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Quick math: 10000 traps over 4 6-month cruises= 2500 traps per cruise.
2500 traps/180 days in a 6-month cruise = 13.8 traps per day.

Must be the whole wing they are referring to or, maybe, they added an extra "0".

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
illinijoe05 said:
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=30793
is the caption for this pic correct? 10,000 traps, I know they have a plaque at the museum (sp?) for 1000 traps so 10,000 would be insane.

Caption has a typo. Size was working towards his 1,000th trap. No aviator has even come close to 10,000, Getting close to 2,000 has only been achieveable by a select few. All time recordholder is Capt "Winkle" Brown, Royal Navy who was a "carrier suitability" tesy pilot in UK during WWII so he got most of this traps in a few years. Excerpt from his bio: "Captain and renowned test pilot Eric 'Winkle' Brown. His past achievements include test flying captured Luftwaffe aircraft during WWII, and being instrumental in a number of UK/US aircraft carrier operating concepts in the post-war period (holding three significant world records: a total of 487 different aircraft types flown, as well as 2,721 catapult launches and 2,407 arrested landings)". Nobody's gonna catch this guy!

B

Blutonski816

heyjoe said:
"Captain and renowned test pilot Eric 'Winkle' Brown. His past achievements include test flying captured Luftwaffe aircraft during WWII, and being instrumental in a number of UK/US aircraft carrier operating concepts in the post-war period (holding three significant world records: a total of 487 different aircraft types flown, as well as 2,721 catapult launches and 2,407 arrested landings)". Nobody's gonna catch this guy!

From what I hear, the USN's recordholder is Capt "Lites" Leenhouts, at 1,645 traps...
Yeah, It'll be quite a day when someone else hits 2,000...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The US record holder

Blutonski816 said:
From what I hear, the USN's recordholder is Capt "Lites" Leenhouts, at 1,645 traps...
Yeah, It'll be quite a day when someone else hits 2,000...

I doubt anyone will be able to live the "charmed life" of "Lites*" who seemed to continually be able to stay ahead of everyone else with CAG LSO, then AIRLANT LSO tours as well as 2 XO tours (A-7, then F/A-18) and then Commodore. Like Hammer says "Can't touch this!"

*Captain Leenhouts retired from the Navy in 2000, he held the distinction of having logged more carrier arrested landings than anyone - 1,645 and an impressive 7,000+ flight hours (U.S. Naval Aviation, Naval Aviation Museum Foundation)