• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1/C summer cruise options

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I have no idea what the hell your middie "fitrep" does for you from your first class cruise... maybe some play in your class ranking .

WTF? We got fitreps for our 1/C cruise?

I bet they read something along the lines of:

-Standout beer drinker. MIDN XXX managed to drink the equivalent of a keg of beer all by himself in the span of 30 days in my squadron, greatly preparing himself for service in Naval Aviation.
-Didn't Crash Once. Managed to log just over 2 hours of pilot time while simultaneously not killing the entire crew on the aircraft because he didn't know what he was doing.
-Came to work some of the time. Once managed to stay around the squadron for 5 hours in one day, a record yet to be surpassed by any other midshipman not on the flight schedule.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Or you can go for something completely different. I know I wanted to go aviation, so I requested a foreign exchange cruise. The exchange that NROTC does with the JMSDF was a blast and I'd highly recommend it. Aviation cruises are kind of a waste of time...only fly a few times and there isn't much to do otherwise. Do something different.

Or...
Pick an afloat cruise (whatever) based on where you'll be meeting the ship. You can sneak a great opportunity to see a great port/someplace overseas.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
although i loved my aviation cruise, i wish i had applied for a forex because those seem like a blast. if you know you want to go aviation for sure then i would definitely recommend doing some awesome forex cruise

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
anymore word on if 1/c aviation cruises help in service assignment?

I did surface cruises every year and it made not a bit of difference. Gave me some excellent reasons not to become a Shoe though. If anything, a 1/C surface cruise should reinforce a decision NOT to go SWO. It did for me!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or you can go for something completely different. I know I wanted to go aviation, so I requested a foreign exchange cruise. The exchange that NROTC does with the JMSDF was a blast and I'd highly recommend it. Aviation cruises are kind of a waste of time...only fly a few times and there isn't much to do otherwise. Do something different......

I did the same and went to Italy for 6 weeks, loved it. Drank every lunch and dinner, 3-5 course meals, got to see Rome and Florence and a lot of very nice Italian gals. Oh, and occasionally went out to sea but not too often, didn't want to mess up everyone's summer leave. Just don't ask for Turkey, apparently that one sucked, something about tea spillage and a missile shoot was involved (not the Sea Sparrows almost sinking the Turkish tin can).

They let you earn your fish?!

They used to, they put a stop to that in the late 90's I believe. Apparently some bubbleheads didn't like middies getting the dolphins that fast or 'easy', just like SWOs not letting aviators earn water wings now even if they get all the checks in the box signed (I know some SWO COs still give them out but it is not authorized by big Navy).

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Just got my pref sheet...JMSDF/FOREX, Surface and Sub in that order. I know I want to go aviation, and while I don't know the ins-and-outs of it, I don't see an aviation cruise as enlightening me any further. Might as well see how the other side works or get a sweet deal and go abroad for 4 weeks.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Omg, just go somewhere and enjoy yourself. 1/C cruise has nothing to do with service selection, unless you wanted to go SEALs or something and need to do "mini-BUDs" or whatever the heck they call it. I think the only "enlightening" thing I ever got out of my 1/C aviation cruise was seeing the drunken debauchery that goes on during a port call over the weekend. Good times.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
They let you earn your fish?!

Did nothing but study the whole trip, didn't have any watches to stand per se (other than last few days headed home, watches and other responsibities seem to make the process take as long as it does for the troops), so really my job was to do what I did...

GREAT EXPERIENCE.

SpeednAngles

I had a fantastic time on my aviation cruise two summers ago...I got up in the air like 7 times in 3 weeks, I may have been lucky but it was the thrill of a lifetime for a 1/C mid.