• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1/C Cruise: FOREX or Aviation?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
must be a big difference between the officers of the Japanese Navy and the rest of Japanese nationals. The exchange students in my engineering classes won't touch anything but sake and girly drinks

You need to hang out with some JMSDF and JASDF pilots, they drink like fish......and not just sake and girlie drinks.....;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hated my aviation underway cruise... but, being assigned as ships company onboard a carrier underway with no assigned airwing and being told "you aren't going to fly so don't ask" on the first day was the cause of that.

So, unless you can get an aviation ashore cruise, go FOREX.

Same cruise as Princess right? If so, yeah that was fvcked up.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
must be a big difference between the officers of the Japanese Navy and the rest of Japanese nationals. The exchange students in my engineering classes won't touch anything but sake and girly drinks

These guys were a true force of nature. It was probably developed from the fact that drinking was the ONLY thing they had to do when they weren't at MOCS (their version of OCS/Academy, year long deal).

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Same cruise as Princess right? If so, yeah that was fvcked up.

Never did any cruises with Princess... Same cruise as Squid though. USS Reagan, Norfolk- 'nough said.

Lesson learned from that cruise: Whenever a SWO tells you something is a good idea, be suspicious- I got that cruise instead of the aviation ashore I put in for so I could "see both communities" prior to service selection...

GatorP

These guys were a true force of nature. It was probably developed from the fact that drinking was the ONLY thing they had to do when they weren't at MOCS (their version of OCS/Academy, year long deal).

I spent 3 days at their MOCS...I understand why they drink. The place was hell on earth. Our academy MIDN said that it was the most intense place he had ever seen. They cleaned about 8 hours a day and the sprinted everywhere they went, even in their whites.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I spent 3 days at their MOCS...I understand why they drink. The place was hell on earth. Our academy MIDN said that it was the most intense place he had ever seen. They cleaned about 8 hours a day and the sprinted everywhere they went, even in their whites.

I was there in summer of 2005, when did you do the program? MOCS, especially their sand PT area, look like a freakin' prison! Tall buildings/fences all around, and the clock hiiiiiggghhhh up in the courtyard. At least that was the vibe I got. They threw a pretty good party for us there, though.

GatorP

I was there in summer of 2005, when did you do the program? MOCS, especially their sand PT area, look like a freakin' prison! Tall buildings/fences all around, and the clock hiiiiiggghhhh up in the courtyard. At least that was the vibe I got. They threw a pretty good party for us there, though.

I was there in 2006. From what I heard you all got more time in Japan then we did. My Favorite part was when we were pulled from our beds, told in japanese to get dressed and sprint out to the boats, where their MIDNs litterally jumped in and had a paddle race. Prison...i'd agree. But that Party was amazing, getting trashed with US and Japanese admirals was pretty sweet. Good food too.

I say that if you're going for SNA, with those ASTB scores you should get accepted. so do something other than an aviation cruise. I did a pac cruise and completely enjoyed it. I had a full week of unlimited liberty in both San Diego and Pearl Harbor and got to experience the life of a surface warfare officer, which is most likely something I won't get to experience again. On the other hand, a buddy of mine went on an aviation cruise and got 11 hours of flight time in a F-18 at Lemore (sp?).

jokerusn

Flying a desk...
pilot
Red,

I assign the FOREX and Av cruises at the Academy. I get mids coming to me with that same question all the time. I always tell them that if you know you want to go aviation, go on the FOREX. Not every aviation community deploys to some of the foreign countries that are offered for FOREX. Also, most of these cruises are sightseeing trips. I sent a mid to Sweden for a FOREX and his boat cruised from Sweden to the UK for an excercise and back. He came back with some awesome stories. Basically, you'll do and see things that you wouldn't get to do in the fleet.

Go for the FOREX, you won't be disappointed.

Joker