• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

06 Jan 2013

bdr2489

60R Pilot
pilot
I figured its gonna be cold as hell and we are gonna have little comfort so I just ordered a bunch of Fox River socks. Ordered the maximum, dress liner, and physical trainer quarter length styles. I read somewhere on here that its a good brand. Pricey but I'm sure they're gonna be worth it.

I haven't bought socks yet - but I've read suggestions to bring both white crew socks and black boot socks (I'd assume crew length also)... The OCS website only mentions white socks but apparently the black one's we're issued suck, so better safe than sorry

ramos7402

Yea I read the same thing. The Maximum style socks I got are black boot socks. The liners are also black to wear under when its really cold and I got regular white ones. I bought all the little stuff already and two pairs of sneakers. Now we have to just wait and see how much they actually let us bring in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I figured its gonna be cold as hell and we are gonna have little comfort so I just ordered a bunch of Fox River socks. Ordered the maximum, dress liner, and physical trainer quarter length styles. I read somewhere on here that its a good brand. Pricey but I'm sure they're gonna be worth it.

I've read elsewhere on here that during the winter they do more of the PT activities indoors than other times of the year.

bdr2489

60R Pilot
pilot
I've read elsewhere on here that during the winter they do more of the PT activities indoors than other times of the year.

I remember seeing that too... had to resort to a google search instead of the search function here to find it: http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/winter-at-ocs.29638/

That thread's from 2009, so who knows how relevant it still is. Some pretty funny posts though. Either way, even if not for PT, I'm sure we'll be outside a lot for drill.

I bought all the little stuff already

What kind of little stuff? Can't seem to find a good concise list (not like it matters since half of whatever we bring we'll get taken anyways), but just curious what you've found to get.

ramos7402

The stuff I got so far:
Basic toiletries
Battery powered alarm clock without a radio
Fox River socks (boot and regular)
Two near pairs of sneakers
Crazy glue
Clear nail polish
Spray starch
White Tee shirts
Body Glide
Baby Powder
Razors
Tape
Markers
That's all I can think of at the moment.

bdr2489

60R Pilot
pilot
The stuff I got so far:
Basic toiletries
Battery powered alarm clock without a radio
Fox River socks (boot and regular)
Two near pairs of sneakers
Crazy glue
Clear nail polish
Spray starch
White Tee shirts
Body Glide
Baby Powder
Razors
Tape
Markers
That's all I can think of at the moment.

Good deal - I did hear the clear nail polish (and baby powder...) comes in pretty handy

ramos7402

Since we are now within 4 months from our commission date we are eligible for the USAA Career Starter Loan. We do have to wait until the office is open on Monday to apply online though. Just an FYI.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Just my .02 cents as maybe OCS has changed since 2010, but do NOT let the DIs catch you with body glide. WTF would you even need that for anyways?

If you need it for chaffing, then go to Dicks and get some anti-chaffing cream. Body glide gives the perception something else might be going on and you will constantly hear there, "Perception is reality."

Also there will be tons of pass down from previous classes, you can bring spray starch but don't need it as you'll get some or have opportunities to get it once your DI lets you. You don't need crazy glue. The clear nail polish will come in handy. What are the markers for?

Another piece of advice is when you go to the NEX and get undershirts or other stuff that comes in plastic wrap, save those bags and as you start prepping for inspection, once you have something perfectly folded and measured, place it in these bags and in your war locker. This will prevent it from getting dirty and you having to clean it everyday.

You might want to get some lint rollers too. Get something to carry your toiletries in too. Unless they've changed the rules (which is very possible), we used to get up like 30 min before reveille and get your stuff done in the head (shave, quick shower if needed, teeth brushing) that way you are ready to go online faster for PT and the beatings will be less.

Take this all with a grain of salt and flex but this helped our entire class when I went through.

ramos7402

Yea Body Glide was for chaffing but what you suggested sounds better. Also, markers were to write your name on pieces of tape to mark your stuff. I only got this stuff because that's what I read. Thanks for your tips, I appreciate it.

ramos7402

Pretty sure the nail polish is for fixing loose threads and the baby powder is for male comfort haha

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Pretty sure the nail polish is for fixing loose threads and the baby powder is for male comfort haha

Yep. When you have to cut your belts to size by them, the nail polish will prevent it from fraying further. Each loose thread or "IP" is a hit during inspection. Too many hits will make you fail.

Baby powder or Goldbond (way better IMHO) will make you feel way better in all areas.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mgilbert1

QAO, LTJG
I just got bumped into this class from the 26th class so hello to all. Down to just a few weeks. Anyone coming from Saint Louis?

bdr2489

60R Pilot
pilot
I just got bumped into this class from the 26th class so hello to all. Down to just a few weeks. Anyone coming from Saint Louis?

Welcome man! I remember seeing your posts throughout the application process - looking forward to meeting you. Feel free to join the FB page if you have one. The link should be earlier in this forum.

If you need it for chaffing, then go to Dicks and get some anti-chaffing cream. Body glide gives the perception something else might be going on and you will constantly hear there, "Perception is reality."

CUPike11 - thanks for all of the helpful info. If you have any other tips, please send them our way. Out of curiousity, mind educating my innocent mind on the perceptions of Body Glide? I hadn't even heard of it before ramos mentioned it, but I figured it was just another brand of Goldbond/anti-chaffing creme?

ramos7402

Prob because it sounds like a brand of lube but Body Glide looks like a deodorant stick. You rub it on to prevent chaffing in certain areas. I used it during cross country in high school.