• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

06 Jan 2013

MattEdwards

You should definitely get on making a reservation. With all the new guys like us, and all the guys from the more senior classes coming back from their Christmas break, hotels might be hard to find. I am staying with my grandparents for New Years, and then getting a ride from Boston to OCS. Got to say, I am excited. This is going to be hard as hell, but worth it in the end.

bdr2489

60R Pilot
pilot
With all the new guys like us, and all the guys from the more senior classes coming back from their Christmas break, hotels might be hard to find. I am staying with my grandparents for New Years, and then getting a ride from Boston to OCS.

Really good point there - if my thinking is right there are probably 200 OCS candidates coming back from Christmas break (since classes start every 3 weeks, so 4 classes of ~50 at OCS at a time). I don't know the details of whether they can go stay in their OCS rooms or have to stay in hotels Saturday, but at that point most of them are probably wanting to just get hotel rooms anyways to postpone returning as long as possible...

I'll be staying with a friend about an hour away Saturday night and driving up to Newport in the morning - makes it easy for the friend to drive my wife to the airport later that day. So I figure I won't be able to meet up with you guys Saturday, but I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone shining faces, heads still full of hair, Sunday morning ;)

Matt - you have a JAN 06 date? What are you going for?

bdr2489

60R Pilot
pilot
Awesome man, mine went pretty much the same way, minus an extra month to get my FS waiting for a waiver to clear. But we're just playing the waiting game again haha - sounds odd but I wish we could get started today rather than wait another month and a half (and trying to maintain a PT regimen through the holidays...)

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Really good point there - if my thinking is right there are probably 200 OCS candidates coming back from Christmas break (since classes start every 3 weeks, so 4 classes of ~50 at OCS at a time). I don't know the details of whether they can go stay in their OCS rooms or have to stay in hotels Saturday, but at that point most of them are probably wanting to just get hotel rooms anyways to postpone returning as long as possible...

(Remote chance I may end up in this class if selected)

Another point: Newport is a popular tourist location. I lived there when I was a kid, and I remember at least one teenager on base had a shirt saying "I'm not a tourist, I live here" or something to that effect. The place may be a bit more full around the holidays, IIRC the old mansions do a lot of special Christmas events and stuff like that. The OCs coming back probably aren't going to be your problem *if* there is one.

MattEdwards

That is a good point. Living in a small town in the middle of bum f#@% nowhere, tourism is not something I have cause to think about. Personally, I think there are better things to do than tour rich strangers' homes, but I guess it takes all kinds. By the way, what program are you going for LFCFan?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
That is a good point. Living in a small town in the middle of bum f#@% nowhere, tourism is not something I have cause to think about. Personally, I think there are better things to do than tour rich strangers' homes, but I guess it takes all kinds. By the way, what program are you going for LFCFan?

These mansions belonged to serious old money robber baron types prior to the great depression. People that survived the Titanic, if you know what I mean. Not quite MTV cribs. There is also the Newport Jazz festival in August, and I think they have had the X-games there a few times. Newport is a cool town, my parents had way too much fun there (war college), too bad I was only in fifth grade and didn't quite get to make the most of it. OCS probably won't be any better in that way.

If you are real gluttons for punishment and arrive a few days early, they have a massive polar bear dip on New Year's morning. That might fall under "stupid things not to do just before OCS", though.

I'm going SNA and SNFO. I say "remote chance" because my OR told me that the Dec board may try to send the SNA pro-recs to 1/6 or 1/27, but NavyOffRec doesn't see it turning around that fast if we're selected. A few other forum members said their OR's informed them of the same thing. If not, maybe you all will be giving warm welcomes to us when we show up. :D

Silhouette

my OR told me that the Dec board may try to send the SNA pro-recs to 1/6 or 1/27, but NavyOffRec doesn't see it turning around that fast if we're selected. A few other forum members said their OR's informed them of the same thing. If not, maybe you all will be giving warm welcomes to us when we show up. :D

I got a call today from my district saying they had moved my OCS date from 27 January to 6 January -- problem is I can't go any earlier than 27 January (service transfer is involved) so I said NO, thank you. He made it sound like he would "look into" getting my date changed back to 27 January. Bizarre because my earliest available date on my app was 20 Jan. I'm sure there are a ton of people who would be willing to jump in an earlier class that don't have restraints like I do, so I hope they find one of them.
Anyway, it sounds like maybe there WILL be a possibility for Jan classes for you guys waiting on the boards now. Although, as NavyOffRec has said, it's all a matter of if you have your stuff together and get processed fast enough for FS.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I got a call today from my district saying they had moved my OCS date from 27 January to 6 January -- problem is I can't go any earlier than 27 January (service transfer is involved) so I said NO, thank you. He made it sound like he would "look into" getting my date changed back to 27 January. Bizarre because my earliest available date on my app was 20 Jan. I'm sure there are a ton of people who would be willing to jump in an earlier class that don't have restraints like I do, so I hope they find one of them.
Anyway, it sounds like maybe there WILL be a possibility for Jan classes for you guys waiting on the boards now. Although, as NavyOffRec has said, it's all a matter of if you have your stuff together and get processed fast enough for FS.

NavyOffRec just said in another thread that he was told explicitly that they won't be sending people to OCS in Jan from the December board.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
K... Just tryin to help.

Sorry if I came off too direct there. I do think that what you are saying is germane to the situation because it suggests that the January classes might be undermanned and perhaps they thought getting some news guys in might be easier than moving other folks around.

JGD

Level 32 Red Mage
Hello everyone! I signed the line on 30 OCT 2012. I too was given the 06 JAN 2013 OCS date. A bit about myself:

22 Yrs. old/ Male/ Non-Prior/ OAR: 51/ Supply Corps
Vision: 20/200 :(..... but corrected to 20/20 :cool:
3.21 GPA B.S. in Chemical Engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno
Letters from 2 O-5's (both Retired) SWO-N and AMDO
Current resident of Las Vegas, NV

Looking forward to meeting you JGD, bshields, maybe silhouette, cans, and anyone that I missed. If you all are making a reservation at a particular hotel let me know, it would be nice to have somebody else in the program there to meet up with discuss things, have each others back in terms of forgetting anything ...missing an alarm or whatever. I still haven't made mine yet as I am still finalizing my plans but will very shortly so feel free to post.

bdr2489

60R Pilot
pilot
Agree with sean - looking forward to meeting you guys that are confirmed, and possibly you guys applying to the December board (and a heap load of luck to you with that, through my process of applying there's no way I could see getting an OCS date a few weeks after the board, but it'd be awesome if you guys do!)

have each others back in terms of forgetting anything

As far as forgetting everything - I'm sure a lot of you have been searching forums like me looking for pointers on what to bring and not to bring, so if anyone gets a good tip or inside scoop, make sure to post it up! I got a few contacts from my OR that recently finished OCS that I'm gonna get in touch with, so I'll let you know if they say anything beneficial.

ramos7402

I figured its gonna be cold as hell and we are gonna have little comfort so I just ordered a bunch of Fox River socks. Ordered the maximum, dress liner, and physical trainer quarter length styles. I read somewhere on here that its a good brand. Pricey but I'm sure they're gonna be worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2