• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

03 August OCS and living near whiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam

SNA, VT-21
anyone out there in this class? i was selected back in february. my fiancee is going to move down there in july and i'll stay with her until ocs, then we're getting married in december and are planning on primary at whiting. she wants to live in pensacola, off highway 90 in scenic heights. does anyone know what the commute is like out to whiting from there? it's not far, only about 20 miles, but there is a lot of construction and i wonder what the traffic is like. she doesn't want to live in milton or pace. is anyone else moving down there with a wife/girlfriend? she would love a roommate while i'm away. also, anyone with ties to teachers in the area please get in touch. she has had no luck finding a job in the area. the school districts are apparently cutting their budgets and not accepting applications for new teachers.

adam

Paul Burke

I'd like to know the exact same thing. My fiancee will be doing her student teaching next semester. Right now our plan is for her to stay here and do it and then move to Florida afterwards. I'm curious about the drive during the workdays between P'cola and Milton myself. It was long enough on a Saturday night, does it get longer?

Kraftwerk

Pretty much the best place for Whiting folks is somewhere up near Davis/Scenic/University close to I-10. That puts you about 30-40 mins away from whiting while still being close to the more "ample" amenities of Pcola.:) Plenty of apt. complexes up there. I-10 being the major thoroughfare, close (but not too close) will put you about 20 mins from downtown Pcola. Traffic isn't really that bad here, for a Houston driver like me.

opie

I just finished Primary up at Whiting and had about a 30-40 minute commute every day from Pensacola. I lived right off Scenic Highway (exit 6 from I-10) in the North Point developements. There are quite a few aviation students up in that area, both SNA and SNFO. It's about halfway between NAS Pensacola and NAS Whiting.

I know that you don't want to live in Milton, but I would encourage you to think about it. When you have a 0545 breif time, and you're waking up at 0330 just so that you can be there, it's pretty hard. Whiting does have some pretty nice base housing for married couples. And it's only a 5-10 minute drive in the morning.

If you do live in Pensacola, have someone give you directions to the back gate so that you bypass Milton every morning. It'll cut at least 10-20 mintues off the drive.

Good luck at OCS... Have fun in primary... and FLY NAVY!

Status
Not open for further replies.