• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

香港 (Hong Kong - a.k.a. Fragrant Harbor) and other Far East Liberty ports - then & now

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Photo taken one night in 2001. Ironically, included little commie bastard w/ AK is standing post out front of the Prince of Wales building/compound. He eyeballed us all the way down the street, so I opted to take the shot from a reasonably safe distance.

All things being equal, it had been 10 years since I was there the first time; but aside from the PLA here/there, it was pretty much the same as before the switch. Same feel, same air, and still plenty of ex-pats and tourists alike.

Attachments

• Hong Kong 2001 016.jpg
    Hong Kong 2001 016.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 72

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What was the fate of the China Fleet Club? Last time there was in 91 homeward bound from Desert Storm aboard USS Ranger,CVW2 :icon_carn
Mort w/ the withdrawl of British Forces @ early '90s ....

The old RN China Fleet Club is what most of us remember from cruisin' for UNCLE:

This is what rose in it's place @ middle '80s when I was cruisin' for the airlines:

While still 'good' ... it was never 'as good' and certainly didn't have the charm or 'feel' of the ol' place ...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
*EDIT*thread split*

WTF is up w/ that guy, over???

The last time there was a 'battle' in Kowloon, to the best of my knowledge ... was when the Japs took Hong Kong.

And there wasn't much of a resistance in Kowloon, specifically ... it all happened on da' "Island" ...

I detect some 'mirth' in your post ...

Unless you're talkin' about a drinking 'contest' w/ some Aussies ... a.k.a. the "Battle of Kowloon" ... ??? :)

A little late (and apparently now off topic), but yeah, the guy was obviously full of shit.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Always a good place to go when you're thirsty ... or was it hungry?? Never could get that straight ... Navy or airlines ... :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After 22 years of being a WestPac sailor, I was finally able to visit HK in 2006. Great times. Had to buy a suit. Had a really nice BBQ at the American Club, then two nights later, we at at the American Club's restaurant.

Night time shot from American Club restaurant:
93530579.jpg

Did someone say yummy food?
hk2c.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

Bjammin

pilot
I spend ALOT of time in Hong Kong working for Cathay Pacific and I absolutly LOVE that town. You can do ANYTHING 24 hours a day. It has great bands, cheep booze, and many girls from all over the world. When the Navy is there it gets a little crazy, too crowded, and all the prices go up. If you go there on cruise see about Macau or go off the path up to Soho or over to Knutsford Terrece in Kowloon.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I spend ALOT of time in Hong Kong working for Cathay Pacific ....
For the airline unwashed and those who haven't experienced Cathay Pacific:

Cathay used to be a GREAT airline and a very, very good deal. I worked w/ some of their crew members on route quals and flight planning when we switched 'our' system over to computers. They were an excellent bunch of guys -- very professional and their experience levels spanned the width and breadth of aviation. Even the junior guys had their stuff all in one bag ...

Years ago I could think of nothing better than to be living in HK and flyin' for CX or livin' in Singapore and flyin' for them. The HKAOA pilots had a good deal goin' ... probably one of the best, world-wide at the time ... and one that was probably unsustainable post-9/11. But when Cathay fell on hard times starting @ 10 years ago and the 'new' Swire/CX fired @ 50 senior HKAOA pilots -- the so-called '49'ers', things started to go south.

When did you get hired??? How many days a month are you 'on the road' for CX?? Do you keep a 'flat' there, or do you just 'hotel' it?? If you live in SanDog, they obviously make it "commutable" ... :)

Bjammin

pilot
The 49'er issue is extreamly complicated and was not totally unjust. It has changed things for the better and would NEVER happen again. Any 49'er that wanted to come back was offered the chance and made their rank back.

I have been there 4+ years and absolutly LOVE IT!!! Great group of guys, training department extreamly supportive, and obviously good equipment, all wide bodies.

I do 3, 3 day trips a month or 1, 8 day and 1, 3 day. With simulators or training the trips can be longer, but I also get 6 weeks vacation which evens things out.

I take the train from San Diego to LA and stay in the Cathay hotel in Hong Kong. www.headland.com.hk

We have some money pains now, but instead of getting rid of the bottom guys we have ALL agreed to share the pain. Captains - 4 weeks off without pay, FO's - 3 weeks, SO's - 2 weeks. It was voluntary and 98% of flight crew were glad to do it.

For reservists it is a great deal. I'll just do 3 weeks on an El Centro weapons det to make up the difference in pay. Good flight time and it's just down the road from me.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Did you guys fly in to Kai Tak? Man I remember those days. I love that the airport was in the middle of the city but man was it a harrowing experience each and every time we landed (speaking as a passenger, not a pilot). Especially during typhoons. I was on a Thai Airways 777 flight to TPE during a typhoon. I looked out my window and so the wings flapping! But we were still at the gate! Needless to say, I knocked back quite a few drinks all the way up until we landed safely at CKS. Kai Tak while convenient, was just too old and small. I also loved the old Arrivals/Departure board tickers.

Chek Lap Kok is one sweet airport though and about 10 years overdue.

I think I took CX once to BKK but I didn't like the service. Flight attendants were rude, never ever smiled. Thai Airways and Singapore however, top notch. Nice planes too. Love the mega top 747s. Oh wait, I did take Dragon Air (Cathay's sister airline) a few times.

HK is still one of my favorite cities. 1997 handover celebrations were pretty spectacular despite the rain.

trombone

We dined at Gaddis and Johnnys Cafe, had tea at the Peninnsula, (or was it the Mandarin?), bought lots of jewlery at the American Consolute's discounted price, and did a lot of other great stuff too. :)

But that's all for now. :sleep_125

My wife's family owned a restaurant there at the Peninsula. They sold their interest in the hotel in the eighties and the restaurant closed not too long after. Small world.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Did you guys fly in to Kai Tak?....
I wish I had another 'year' of life for every time I flew the IGS RW13 @ Kai Tak ... 'cause I lost a few years there getting chased around the corner by a typhoon that I'll never get back.

We usually stayed in Kowloon when flyin' in/out of Kai Tak ... most crew liked it 'better' over there -- 'specially the STEWs as they went there for the shoppin' ... not for the 'experience'. Everyone had their 'favorite' places. :)

Then we moved to the 'new' airport and HK lost a little of it's history, panache, and "speed" ... just one man's opinion.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Imageshack ® is back up .... kinda .... so here's my bird's eye view of 'old' Hong Kong airport jutting out into 'Fragrant Harbor' and 'new' Hong Kong airport while on short final and pointed straight for Macao if things didn't "work out" (and sometimes they didn't) ... and for the record, no one who flew both of 'em 'in the ol' days' referred to them by their Chineeeeee names .... we just called the airports Hong Kong ... or old Hong Kong ... or new Hong Kong .... :)

dsc00150r.jpg
dsc00163a.jpg

photos by A4sForever

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My wife's family owned a restaurant there at the Peninsula. They sold their interest in the hotel in the eighties and the restaurant closed not too long after. Small world.
Yes, small world. There were a number of restaurants at the Peninsula, and they were all excellent. That your wife's family owned one is impressive.

Gaddis was for years by far the best restaurant in Hong Kong (and the most expensive). It was promoted, as "the finest restaurant east of the Suez," which I always thought was a strange promo. But it was the best restaurant I have ever dined in. Today I understand it has a lot of competition and its reputation has slipped. But it is supposedly still in the top 10 of Hong Kong restaurants.

On my first tour, I dined there a couple of times with my young blonde friend from the US Consulate, (and maybe one or two others) which turned out to be money well invested. :D :D

On my second tour, I took my new wife to Gaddis ? which yes was a totally "unnecessary investment" ... but nevertheless was a memorable dinner. :) :icon_tong

Gaddi's: Jacket required for men at dinner. Main courses HK$510-HK$610 (US$66-US$79/£33-£40); fixed-price dinner HK$1,388 (US$180/£90); fixed-price lunch HK$408 (US$53/£26)

The Peninsula Hotel, Hong Kong
449pxthepeninsulanight.png

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
:eek: How long is that runway?
Without lookin' it up ... 12K & change sounds about right ... ol' Hong Kong was @ 11K which didn't count for much given the 'interesting' aspects of the approaches. The runways may as well have been 8K ...

And for the record:

Gaddis Dress Code
Lunch - Business casual
Dinner - Jacket for gentlemen

*No flip-flops, beach sandals, plastic footwear, athletic wear or jeans. Additionally for gentlemen, full length trousers only and no sleeveless shirts.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..... Civilization ...