• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will I get disqualified when I join?

i had anxiety (and was prescribed klonopin) one year ago. It was only due to my relationship of 7 years breaking up and not knowing how to handle it. But I only used it once or twice, I've been off of it for over a year.

I also have had one migraine, for which I went to the hospital. I was prescribed toradol but I've never used it as I never had a migraine past this. I've also had a couple of ailments that doctors guessed at but I was never officially diagnosed and that healed up on their own.

I guess my answer is...will I pass MEPS? I'm totally healthy now, except I'm scared I'll get DQ. I'm coming in as an officer if that changes anything.

Thanks guys.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
i had anxiety (and was prescribed klonopin) one year ago. It was only due to my relationship of 7 years breaking up and not knowing how to handle it. But I only used it once or twice, I've been off of it for over a year.

I also have had one migraine, for which I went to the hospital. I was prescribed toradol but I've never used it as I never had a migraine past this. I've also had a couple of ailments that doctors guessed at but I was never officially diagnosed and that healed up on their own.

I guess my answer is...will I pass MEPS? I'm totally healthy now, except I'm scared I'll get DQ. I'm coming in as an officer if that changes anything.

Thanks guys.

What did your recruiter say?

W

Wildcat15

I think as a general rule of thumb it doesn't matter whether or not you've only used a prescription medication once or twice, it matters that it's on your medical record.

W

Wildcat15

It's complicated. There is a waiver process for disqualifying medical issues. I'm not an authority on the matter, I'm just an applicant in the same process. You will need to submit all of your medical records for your conditions to your recruiter, s/he will forward them to MEPS and they will review your records (along with your 2807)and either recommend a physical or pre-DQ you (in which case you won't go to MEPS and you will need to apply for a waiver from N3M). If N3M determines your medical history warrants a waiver; you will go to MEPS for a physical. If they deny your waiver that is likely the end of the road for your career in the Navy.

This probably explains it better than I can tbh.
SInRGJF.png

P3 F0

None
If you have a pool of 100 people to choose from with records just as good as yours with no history of anxiety, would you choose you?

If anything, the Navy will likely exacerbate your anxiety. It won't cure it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They said they were willing to work with me...however. I've heard from countless people that recruiters will lie to you and their word doesn't mean much when it comes to medical waivers. I so badly want to join, but IDK if I'll be allowed.

Then why don't you just apply? If you get DQ'ed, you get DQ'ed and you'll have your answer, but if you don't apply, you'll never know.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Just anecdotally, I had some counseling in the past for a family divorce that was diagnosed as a low grade adjustment disorder. I was never placed on medication, diagnosed with depression or anxiety, suicidal, etc. and even then it was a bear to get through N3M, and even more hoops to jump through at OCS during my flight physical. So I don't want to discourage you from trying, but just know that you have your work cut out for you.

exNavyOffRec

It used to be a mandatory 3 year wait after any type of mental health drugs before medical would even look at reviewing your records

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Gee, if only there were a reference for this...
Instructions: look at your record, look at this. Compare. Discuss with recruiter. Since no one here is looking at your record (please don't post it) and odds are your reviewer is not on this board, you have a >0% chance as far as any of us are going to tell you. If you really want it, submit anyway, but now you're armed with an understanding of what you're up against. If you don't submit anyway, your chance is identically 0%.

Having all your records together and ready is the professional way to proceed, will make you look good, and will speed things along.
Understanding what you're up against will prepare you for the results no matter what they are.

Hammer10k

pilot
Dealt with a knee waiver to get to MEPS and through OCS. Having the paperwork is critical!

Also, we had an OCS classmate who had cancer within the last few years, so there is hope for flight status. That being said, if you know you're prone to anxiety, there are plenty of great careers that won't put you through the ringer like the military.