• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tell me about Marine ASO

alwysfaith

AV-8B Harrier Pilot's Wife
This is probably horribly uncalled for, but in all my perusal of the interwebs I can't seem to get an idea of what this is about besides a definition of the MOS.

Husband is a first tour Harrier guy who just got elected for squadron ASO. I hear this opens some doors for him as far as assignments that wouldn't have been opened otherwise? I know what an ASO is supposed to do within a fleet squadron, but what are the other opportunities he might see, you know if that planets align and he throws our life savings in the wishing well and all that jazz?

Have you been there done that?

phrogpilot73

ASO is a good ticket to punch for life outside the military. Also, it opens the door to the Naval Safety Center and ASO school as an instructor. Other than that - not doors in the military...

Renegade One

None
This is probably horribly uncalled for, but in all my perusal of the interwebs I can't seem to get an idea of what this is about besides a definition of the MOS...Husband is a first tour Harrier guy who just got elected for squadron ASO.
Not horribly uncalled for at all...and a good question. Others may correct me (it's surely happened before), but I believe, in this context, ASO probably stands for the squadron "Aviation Safety Officer". Your hubby will get some quality training in Monterey, CA (unless the USMC does something different, or things have changed), and then, hopefully, will never have to use those newly-learned skills. ASOs are (or were) the "trained professionals" who would be part of an Aviation Mishap Investigation Board. I can happily report to you that during my 4 fleet squadron tours...our ASOs were never called to do that. There's "other stuff" he might be tasked with examining/investigating, however. It's all important to the command.
Now..current guys...if it's something else...help us out!

phrogpilot73

Your hubby will get some quality training in Monterey, CA (unless the USMC does something different, or things have changed)...
Hahaha, Monterey - you made a funny! Would it be rude to say "damn, you're old" because ASO school has been in Pensacola, FL for at least 8 years...

alwysfaith

AV-8B Harrier Pilot's Wife
Thanks! I remember him saying something of commercial flying and ASO being extremely favorable. I don't think he's 100% set on doing commercial or extending his commission if conditions are favorable to try and get to 20 years. But a great notch in the belt none the less I guess. I'm afraid I don't know what MAG DOSS is, unless that has something to do with flying the learjet-looking plane with big wigs and semi-big wigs in it around.

Really being youngins' neither of us has a good idea of what happens after your B billet, haha!

Renegade One

None
Hahaha, Monterey - you made a funny! Would it be rude to say "damn, you're old" because ASO school has been in Pensacola, FL for at least 8 years...
Exactly why I asked you "current guys" to update. 'Cuz "Damn, I'm old!"

Now...on a serious note....I never knew (or maybe never noticed) that anyone in the Navy with an AQD (I guess) relating to ASO training ever had that skill-set particularly follow him/her around for follow-on tours. Was basically something you did once and then only called it up anecdotally if you were ever slugged to a Mishap Board (for whatever reason) later on. Different now? Targeted follow-on billets?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I'm at ASO school right now. It's an extremely well put together course. Some of the classes are a little dry, but all in all I've learned a whole lot more about Naval Aviation and safety as a whole. I'm excited to get back to my squadron to actually put some of the stuff I've learned to practice. Also, I brought my wife down for the first week or so. The course load isn't bad at all during the first week, so it can prove to be a nice little min-vacation in Pensacola.

KBayDog

I'm excited to get back to my squadron to actually put some of the stuff I've learned to practice.

I highly suggest that you have a mishap drill for your ODO as soon as you get back.

Also, at the next SSD, make sure you do a mishap case study. Squadrons love those. (Of course, ensure you give the disclaimer about 'privilege' beforehand, because I'm sure they don't know about it.)

The course load isn't bad at all during the first week, so it can prove to be a nice little min-vacation in Pensacola.

If only there were AW members stationed in the Pensacola area who like to drink beer. Noted.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
It became very apparent, very quickly who came from communities where the ASO billet was more "coveted". There were folks doing crossword puzzles in the back row and people who cared A LOT about being "honor grad".

I'm pretty sure Phrogpilot73 was in my class (Jan '09).

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I highly suggest that you have a mishap drill for your ODO as soon as you get back.

Also, at the next SSD, make sure you do a mishap case study. Squadrons love those. (Of course, ensure you give the disclaimer about 'privilege' beforehand, because I'm sure they don't know about it.)

If only there were AW members stationed in the Pensacola area who like to drink beer. Noted.

THIS.

I've been there, helping the SDO for real, and you'll find a LOT of problems with your binder, most likely. Better to figure it out in practice.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It became very apparent, very quickly who came from communities where the ASO billet was more "coveted". There were folks doing crossword puzzles in the back row and people who cared A LOT about being "honor grad".

So were you front row center, frantically writing notes in your study guide? Do you get one of those anguilettes (sp?) if you graduate number one?

I've said it before, but ASO school was 2 1/2 weeks worth of stuff crammed into 5 weeks (or whatever it was). Structures and the labs were great, otherwise I just wanted to move out of the noisy Q and move into my house where all my things had just been delivered.

I did enjoy the giant dick-measuring contest that was the PCO HFB session. Just about every O-5 in there wanted to be MORE PROACTIVE and BETTER than the last O-5 that had just given their thoughts on the topic at hand.

phrogpilot73

I'm pretty sure Phrogpilot73 was in my class (Jan '09).
That I was... My community doesn't necessarily covet the billet, but we do take it seriously. The honor grad was a dude in my AMB group, and he's a genuinely good dude. My AMB group still keeps in touch via email. We call it our "quarterly meeting".

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Hey, let some of us who went there remember the good old old days and far better golf courses than NPA has!