• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

San Diego gouge?

navrn

Hellooooo nurse!
I'm looking at a January 09 PCS to San Diego and am trying to scout out apartments already. I was hoping for some gouge on the area, since I've only been there once for a couple days. I'd like to find something downtown, or near the water, and was really hoping for a 1BR just because I've not had the best luck with non-Navy roommates. BUT after looking at the prices am having to re-evaluate the plan a bit to stay within BAH. :) Anyone have any suggestions for areas to look at, or stay away from? I would like something close to Balboa.

Can anyone tell me for sure what the BAH is for an O1 and O2 out there? I've heard a few different numbers. I'm O1 now, but put on O2 in May.

Thanks in advance for any help!

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The O-1/O-2 BAH is $1782/$1844 w/o dependents. You can check it here.

I have a 2-BR just East of the City for $1600, so you should be able to find something. Hillcrest, North Park, and Golden Hill are all very close to Balboa. Some places in Golden Hill have great views of the city and Coronado bridge. Little Italy and the rest of the area North of downtown are also nice, lots of restaurants and the park within walking distance. The zip codes for these areas are 92102 (Golden Hill), 92103 (North City/Hillcrest), and 92104 (North Park).

Ocean Beach (92107) is the more hippy of the beach areas. Mission and Pacific Beaches (92109) are younger people. Both of these would be longer drives to Balboa (longer meaning about 20 minutes)

If you're sensitive to noise, you'll want to avoid the areas under the final approach course for the international airport. If you have Google Earth, download the zip I attached, and open the file inside - it will show you the path.

Also, if you don't already know about it. The Automated Housing Referral Network is a great resource.

Attachments

• KSAN_LOC_RWY_27.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 28

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Concur w/ Cygnus. Golden Hill, Hillcrest, Univ Heights, Northpark, all killer areas with amazing restaurants and nightlife. Best bars: Nunu's (off 5th and Ivy, by FAR my fave bar in the nation), Bar Dynamite, The Casbah, The Alibi, Zombie Lounge, and The Red Fox Lounge. Best Ital restaurant: Mona Lisa's (on India St). Best mex food: Old Town Mex Cafe, and Fred's Tacos.

Bevo16

pilot
If I was a young single person headed to San Diego, the only place that I would look is Pacific Beach. Fun, low crime, walk to everything, fun, good places to eat, and fun.

You can get from PB to Balboa in about 20 minutes, and it is not even a tough drive. Living really close to work is highly over rated. Nobody wants to spend an hour in SoCal traffic every day, but actually going home to a nice area is worth an extra 10 minutes a day.

I would not live in Hillcrest or Northpark if you paid me. That area sucks IMHO. You can take a wrong turn or go one or two blocks in the wrong direction and end up in a really bad part of town. Not only that, but you are going to SAN DIEGO. If you are in Hillcrest or Northpark, you may as well be in Dallas. Live at the beach.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
We can agree to disagree on that one Bevo. As someone who grew up in SoCal and was stationed in San Dog, I'd MUCH rather live uptown that by the beach. The beach is swarming with wasted "kids", burnouts, hippies, and homeless. All the bars are tourist clubby "hotspots". Because the beach is so close in SD, you're right, it's easy to get to when you don't live there. I would be able to grab a board and be in the water within 15 mins of leaving my apt and not be living in the beach communities. That being said, the aforementioned "uptown" areas are more for people who like a "city" vibe (i.e. me). There are plenty of great places beach or uptown, just depends on your interests. For me, it's restaurants, neighborhood bars, sidewalk cafes, and rock n' roll...

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
Agree with Bevo

I was stationed out there from 2000-2004, so I'm sure things have changed a bit, but I lived in Mission Valley for a while and then PB.

PB was awesome and even before I moved there I spent a lot of time out there. Living in Mission Valley wasn't bad, but the traffic could get heavy if you didn't head in to work early enough (6:30ish).

Point Loma is a really nice area too, and you can avoid the I-8 to get over to 32nd st, etc.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
That being said, the aforementioned "uptown" areas are more for people who like a "city" vibe (i.e. me).

There's only one sort of vibe that you're gonna get livin' in Hillcrest, and it's of the DADT variety :D (from a kid who calls SD home).

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
There's only one sort of vibe that you're gonna get livin' in Hillcrest, and it's of the DADT variety :D (from a kid who calls SD home).

yeah, with your "McCain" logo and "worst place for a republican" quote on your profile, I'm guessing that neighborhood must scare the living crap out of you... be careful, if you get too close..they might turn you!

ridiculous...

Zissou

Banned
As much as I dont want to agree with WANNAGO, I do agree with him on SD.

PB is home to some of my favorite bars, but I wouldnt live there.

If I was a young, single female like NAVRN Hillcrest would be prefect. My ex lived there with her gay best friend. Its possibly the safest area for single women in SD. LaJolla and Coronado being even safer but cost prohibitive.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
I agree with WannaGo. With a roomate downtown can be reasonable, a JG here is living next to PETCO with another JG.

If I ever end up in San Diego again I would consider living in downtown instead of PB.
For me, I don't mind PB that much, but a good amount of the types of people mentioned by WannaGo. I really wouldn't want to live in PB.

In San Diego there are so many freeways and connecters it really does'nt take more than 15-30 minutes to get anywhere.

So says the SD native who commutes from Poway everyday....:( but I can't get enough of this town:D

Bevo16

pilot
We can agree to disagree on that one Bevo....

Yup. And the OP was looking for info on the areas, and she is getting it.

There is no right/wrong place in SD. There is a little something for everyone (unless you are looking for a decent BBQ resturant, or trying to raise a family).

OBTW, make sure that you have your paperwork lined up to avoid paying CA state income tax set before moving to that state. Make triple copies of those records because the CA Franchise Tax Board will find you, and they are a pain in the ass to get rid of.

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
CA Franchise Tax Board will find you, and they are a pain in the ass to get rid of.[/quote]

true so remember CA FORM 540NR for tax season if they do get you

same for CA residents living outside of CA on orders

*CHUBBY*

None
OBTW, make sure that you have your paperwork lined up to avoid paying CA state income tax set before moving to that state. Make triple copies of those records because the CA Franchise Tax Board will find you, and they are a pain in the ass to get rid of.

The tax issue is a really good one to consider. Set your residency now to avoid the hassle with vehicles and income taxes that come with transferring to CA.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Living in Mission Valley wasn't bad, but the traffic could get heavy if you didn't head in to work early enough (6:30ish).

I think this might depend on where in Mission Valley you live. I lived across the street from the stadium and the ONLY time I had traffic problems getting to North Island was one beautiful September day in 2001, and that wasn't until I got on the -5 about to cross the bridge. That's what I loved about the 15, it always seemed to be crowded going the opposite direction I was.

The 8 in the morning, however, was a whole other story, so maybe that's why we have a difference in experiences.